Diaco Weekly Press Conference (Army) Tidbits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco Weekly Press Conference (Army) Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Theoretically, you are 100 % correct. But practically, barring injury, it never is done except for QBs. Once a player is contributing, it's very hard to sit him for a year. Other than Kamal Abrams, I can't think of anyone. And I don't think he was redshirted as much as he got beaten out by a host of players for snaps.

My point (presumably presented poorly) is that there may be a benefit in years two and three to playing someone as a true freshman. If a coach believes that a player is going to be a major contributor as a second year player, even brief experience in his first year may help to prepare him for that.

Reaction Score
My point (presumably presented poorly) is that there may be a benefit in years two and three to playing someone as a true freshman. If a coach believes that a player is going to be a major contributor as a second year player, even brief experience in his first year may help to prepare him for that.

That's fine but we're specifically discussing a player who was ticketed to RS before Jones got hurt, so I highly doubt that is the case.

I get that either McAllister or Hadley had to play. I'm not sure both did. 1 guy got hurt and he was replaced by 2.

Reaction Score
That's fine but we're specifically discussing a player who was ticketed to RS before Jones got hurt, so I highly doubt that is the case.

I get that either McAllister or Hadley had to play. I'm not sure both did. 1 guy got hurt and he was replaced by 2.

I agree that you don't need to play both. If I'm the coach, I try to make my decision on who is most likely to contribute next year, not in 2018.

Reaction Score
Leave it to Serrano to start up an argument about a coaching decision 3 years ago, when we are on game week for Army at Yankee Stadium. Bravo!!!

I'm going to go down the road and select a bull to sacrifice this week. I have no idea what I'll be up to if we get to a 3rd, 4th and so on win streak, just focus on 1 week at a time. It's unfortunate I started with chickens, and not goats for ECU.

Proverbially.

Reaction Score
To those that say redshirting isn't a big deal, raise your hands if you think playing Foxx in 2011 was worth it.
isn't that like getting pissed about not picking certain numbers after seeing the winning lottery ticket.
That was 3 seasons ago.

Reaction Score
Agree , it was obvious he was going to be a stud option qb

I don't mind if people disagree with the notion that redshirts don't really matter but it'd be nice if you some of you guys had a clue.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
I don't mind if people disagree with the notion that redshirts don't really matter but it'd be nice if you some of you guys had a clue.

I think we all agree that you should RS guys if you can, but that right now some of us think it is a luxury that we can't afford.

Reaction Score
You're saying if PP had redshirted Foxx 3 years ago, Uconn would be in the BIG and challenging for one of the 4 playoff spots. It's because Uconn didn't red shirt Foxx but instead redshirted Casey Cochran that the football team has struggled these past few years. Is that it?

Still trying to find your clue dude...

Reaction Score
You're saying if PP had redshirted Foxx 3 years ago, Uconn would be in the BIG and challenging for one of the 4 playoff spots. It's because Uconn didn't red shirt Foxx but instead redshirted Casey Cochran that the football team has struggled these past few years. Is that it?

Still trying to find your clue dude...

Keep looking. Or ask for help.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I want my coach to play the best players in their respective positions. Period. End of story. If that means that a redshirt gets burned, so be it.

The only times that I care about preserving a redshirt is when I don't believe that the player in question is the best player in his position. At that point, it is truly a waste of a year of the young man's career. But if playing a freshman puts us in a better position to win a game, then that's the right thing to do.

It's also a powerful message on the recruiting trail to give to prospective players that if they believe they're good enough, they will play right away...

Reaction Score
I have never seen a play, that didn't have any impact on helping the outcome of a game towards a win (or a loss) . Somebody will have to point this out to me, someday - what a play that doesn't matter, or doesn't have any affect looks like, especially a play where all 11 of those guys on the field, any single one of them, doesn't have some role to contribute to winning. I wonder what that looks like.

Granted, any player that is recruited can "help", or make plays in his first year, in some fashion.

But the idea of redshirting is really evaluating whether or not that player adds more value in that first year, or the fifth.

Sure, he may help in that first year, but generally, they add much more value in that fifth year. If we have that luxury, I'm all for it. And it matters if the coach thinks he'll be around in that fifth to year to benefit.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The non RS thing makes perfect sense to me. BD intends to recruit over P's guys or not be here for year 5. If he doesn't recruit better guys that what we have, he won't be here anyway.

Reaction Score
Granted, any player that is recruited can "help", or make plays in his first year, in some fashion.

But the idea of redshirting is really evaluating whether or not that player adds more value in that first year, or the fifth.

Sure, he may help in that first year, but generally, they add much more value in that fifth year. If we have that luxury, I'm all for it. And it matters if the coach thinks he'll be around in that fifth to year to benefit.

Wrong.

Until the recruiting cycle somehow changes for UCONN, or any other school, and the potential is there - for scholarships to be extended beyond one year, and not up for renewal annually, red shirting will always be a 1 year decision, not a 2,3,4 or 5 year decision. The decision is made based on CURRENT YEAR depth charts, and reflects incoming recruiting, not outgoing player development.

Reaction Score
No spitting match here.... But just like the character of your handle sometimes you may not realize some of the folks out here do have a clue. Resorting to slander often exposes one on the wrong side of a debate that one may have created themself.
We are not getting the recruiting classes of top 25 or even p5 teams and until we do we have to climb the ladder with every body available. That or forever languish with those that except losing records season after season. Paul burnt his red for good reason just like Bob is doing the same this year with many. I am sure you realize some due to injury many get it back down the road.
Just another one of the crew with no clue.....

Reaction Score
its sad that last 2 regimes had more playas but just had more tunnel vision in play to negate the winning

dudes just dont think out of box or if they finally do its too little too late

nobody foxy enuf leading up to current campaign to project a lightning bolt Mr Fox at qb in spearhead attack on all fronts

just sad

maybe include required attendance for current regime in classes: Creativity 101, Pattern Recognition and Scrambling and Reconfiguration 102, Think out of Box 103, Hit em Where they Aint 104, Misdirect 200, Camouflage Dee Playbook 300, Objective Winning from Daze Won 400, How to Receive HD Coach Diploma with Gratitude Courtesy UCONN Style 500

class for AD-How not to be Concerned about Winning Now and be a great Humanitarian and Hire a Dude Who is Not A hd Coach and Lavish Dude with Spectacular On Job Training Program, Incentives, Rewards, Keys to P5 Potentials, Human Resource Dev Program, Massive and Lavish Career Dev Prog, Fully Equiped Experimental Lab to Test Theories & Hypotheses,formal classes and field trips to Increase Observational Powers to Improve Decision Making, Massive Seminars in Public Speaking and Media Relations with Experiential Feedback Syllabus, etc, etc.

oh my bad-trainee already completed above class many moons ago & aced it

Reaction Score

A school like UCONN vs. Alabama or Ohio State may get more developmental "project" players with great potential that may need a year extra to mature and learn.

Reaction Score
future is nows

put all playa in fray

if you concern for 5 yr guy; get better recruiters to make up differential

and dooz it nowz

Reaction Score
Wrong.

Until the recruiting cycle somehow changes for UCONN, or any other school, and the potential is there - for scholarships to be extended beyond one year, and not up for renewal annually, red shirting will always be a 1 year decision, not a 2,3,4 or 5 year decision. The decision is made based on CURRENT YEAR depth charts, and reflects incoming recruiting, not outgoing player development.

Exactly. Furthermore, coaches are human. Self preservation is the rule. Neither RD or any other coach is setting a depth chart based on anything but evaluations that rate a player's ability to help now. 2018? Every college coach in the country thinks of 2018 in one of two contexts.

1) If I'm fired, who gives a rat's ass. I'm using every bullet in every magazine.
2) If I'm not here, I want it to be because my putting the best players on the field got me a better job.

For the hell of it, record (while at The Stadium) or watch games this weekend. You'll be surprised at the number of times a Wide Receiver, Running Back or Corner Back is referred to as a "true freshman." Not many "fat guys" though. The big guys typically need extra time to meet size/strength demands.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Furthermore, coaches are human. Self preservation is the rule. Neither RD or any other coach is setting a depth chart based on anything but evaluations that rate a player's ability to help now. 2018? Every college coach in the country thinks of 2018 in one of two contexts.

1) If I'm fired, who gives a rat's ass. I'm using every bullet in every magazine.
2) If I'm not here, I want it to be because my putting the best players on the field got me a better job.

For the hell of it, record (while at The Stadium) or watch games this weekend. You'll be surprised at the number of times a Wide Receiver, Running Back or Corner Back is referred to as a "true freshman." Not many "fat guys" though. The big guys typically need extra time to meet size/strength demands.

Yup, but lets not go here too deep into this subject matter, the concept that Diaco might not be here in 5 years could cause a meltdown............forgive me if I ramble for sec....

- it's been a long week, the logistics of getting a bull into my basement for sacrifice for the Army game, and it's got to be done tomorrow - oy vey - getting around the livestock purchases, health codes, etc....never mind getting through the doorway......oh wait - never mind......I'm only going to sacrifice the best bull of the lot, proverbially....

a la Theseus in my classical UCONN education lore - Greek mythology is pretty creepy, as you get older...........but I digress...this is all for entertainment purposes only - no blood to be seen anywhere tomorrow...never mind that stomping and loud sounds coming from the basement, the steaks on the grill Saturday, and I will find a place to light up, if it's a back alley in the Bronx somewhere, so be it....those steaks are from the IGA.....

Proverbially.

But back on point - my hope is that as young as Diaco is, and with the kind of following he can generate with a winning program at UCONN, and the rewards he would get both financially and professionally, that he could be one of those very rare coaches that last well past a full 5 year recruiting cycle. I do want payback for the education he's getting as a coach, in the form of wins and titles.

Who he chooses to redshirt or not, has got nothing to do with it, but who he brings in, in each of his smaller recruiting cycles - will have a lot to do with it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Someone tell Chap that, "Hit'em where they ain't," is a baseball thing. Generally one doesn't play football very long if one tries hitting'em where they ain't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom