Diaco should pick up the phone and call... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco should pick up the phone and call...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess I see the games entirely different than most everyone.
  • First, our run, pass mix this season was about on par with our competition.
  • I thought Shirreffs had a nice year and his mobility is a huge asset. I am a complete and big fan of dual threat QBs in the college game. If he stays health, I think you will continue to see him improve and he will end up being one of the better QBs UCONN has had.
  • To my eye, the pass protection from the OL improved immensely from last season and reasonably well during the course of the season. Stellar? No. But, improved. The run blocking was disappointing to me and some of that may have been that we don't have a quick hitting back between the tackles once RonJon is taken out of the equation.
  • I think the play calling this season had some pretty interesting elements. I don't know what the issue was at St. Petes, but outside of that we saw a lot of different looks and I truly believe that the read option will become a regular part of the offense once there is a depth of mobile QBs.
  • I see comments about Tyler Davis. I have no comment because I have never seen him so much as pick up a football let alone run a live offense.
  • Folks want wide open offenses passing 70%+ of the time. That's all great when it works. When it doesn't you put a pretty tired defense on the field and scores get away from you pretty fast. It will be interesting to see how the Orange do with Baber. They are taking an enormous gamble with him. Running that offense against ACC defenses requires a whole different set of talent than it does in the FCS or MAC.
  • I firmly believe this - Fans support winning before they support a style of play. You consistently end up on the short end of the score and you will lose fans, doesn't matter how many points you put up.

Reaction Score
Stop it.

Stop what? Russell Wilson would have been light years ahead of anyone we had here, but we wouldn't have been able to block for him.

I'm all about getting as many QBs on the roster as possible. I'd stack them up like cordwood until we find one that is great. But no matter who it is, if we can't block, it won't make any difference.

How good is Aaron Rodgers with a banged up line and receivers that can't create separation?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
From the very, very ridiculously limited time I've seen Davis play (Spring Game '15), he looks like he has a live arm, has mobility but required a ton of work on accuracy. He was overthrowing guys by about 10 yards fairly routinely. This redshirt year will go a long way for him to work on accuracy and timing. I think if he sees the field in 2016, it will be as a read run-option style QB and his throws will be limited to high percentage routes. But I do think that Davis will provide an upgrade to our #2 QB depth chart from what we've had in recent seasons.

My biggest concern remains our OL. We struggled mightily against teams with good fronts and in blitz pick-up (again). 2016 success falls squarely upon this unit's shoulders.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Stop what? Russell Wilson would have been light years ahead of anyone we had here, but we wouldn't have been able to block for him.

I'm all about getting as many QBs on the roster as possible. I'd stack them up like cordwood until we find one that is great. But no matter who it is, if we can't block, it won't make any difference.

How good is Aaron Rodgers with a banged up line and receivers that can't create separation?

Totally true. Point and case can be made with Russell Wilson's season this year. At the beginning of the year, he couldn't spend a moment in the pocket without getting smoked by opposing linemen--took tons of sacks and his o line was in disarray. As a result, he was fumbling, throwing INTs, routinely passing for 150-200 yds per game. As the line got things together, Wilson took off and started throwing 4-5 TDs per game. Point and case that the offensive line is massively important to the actualization of a QBs skill set.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Elite QB's don't look at us as an option because being an offensive minded team that is up tempo and looks to score a lot is not on BD's agenda We didn't open up the game because, according to BD...that's not our style.

Get use to 10 point games and a run....run.....run.....punt offense. Seems like we are watching a GDL movie from the 1940's.

That's a misnomer.

It probably would not surprise you to discover that UConn is in the top 1/3 in FBS in Run/Pass Ratio (58%), but would it surprise you to find out that 11 of the AP Top 25 have a higher ratio than UConn (#21 Navy: 86%, #5 Stanford: 66%, #18 Baylor: 65%, #22 LSU: 65%, #12 Northwestern: 64%, #7, tOSU: 64%, #15 Oregon: 63%, #15 Oregon: 63%, #20 Utah: 62%, #14 Houston: 61%, #6 Iowa: 61% and #2 Alabama: 59%), or that 19 Top 25 teams had more rushing attempts (UConn is 75 in attempts)?
How about that 7 Top 25 teams have less pass attempts than UConn, who ranked 103 in the country? Running the ball is paramount to having and effective offense.

The difference lies not in rush/pass ratio, but rather yards per rush. UConn is 120th (3.4 Y/R). The only Top 25 team equal or worse is Florida. Okla St. is in the area (3.7), but they pass more than they run and their passing yards/attempt are 9.1, a full 2 yards greater than UConn. Average Y/R is 4.45 and the median is 4.4. 14 Top 25 teams averaged 5 yards or more/rush attempt.

Discount for a moment that sacks are counted against rushing yards in college football (and please excuse the broken record that has been playing since Saturday), but this speaks directly to the inefficiencies on the offensive line, not play calling, and certainly not mix. It's been said before, and I have little doubt the coaching staff will address it, but the middle of the line MUST achieve the second level more consistently. In a perfect world, Newsome should gain two yards and still not be through the hole. I think Cozier coming back and Peart pushing for time on the outside will elevate the line closer to where it needs to be. I don't think another coaching change along the line is beneficial.

Reaction Score
That's a misnomer.

It probably would not surprise you to discover that UConn is in the top 1/3 in FBS in Run/Pass Ratio (58%), but would it surprise you to find out that 11 of the AP Top 25 have a higher ratio than UConn (#21 Navy: 86%, #5 Stanford: 66%, #18 Baylor: 65%, #22 LSU: 65%, #12 Northwestern: 64%, #7, tOSU: 64%, #15 Oregon: 63%, #15 Oregon: 63%, #20 Utah: 62%, #14 Houston: 61%, #6 Iowa: 61% and #2 Alabama: 59%), or that 19 Top 25 teams had more rushing attempts (UConn is 75 in attempts)?
How about that 7 Top 25 teams have less pass attempts than UConn, who ranked 103 in the country? Running the ball is paramount to having and effective offense.

The difference lies not in rush/pass ratio, but rather yards per rush. UConn is 120th (3.4 Y/R). The only Top 25 team equal or worse is Florida. Okla St. is in the area (3.7), but they pass more than they run and their passing yards/attempt are 9.1, a full 2 yards greater than UConn. Average Y/R is 4.45 and the median is 4.4. 14 Top 25 teams averaged 5 yards or more/rush attempt.

Discount for a moment that sacks are counted against rushing yards in college football (and please excuse the broken record that has been playing since Saturday), but this speaks directly to the inefficiencies on the offensive line, not play calling, and certainly not mix. It's been said before, and I have little doubt the coaching staff will address it, but the middle of the line MUST achieve the second level more consistently. In a perfect world, Newsome should gain two yards and still not be through the hole. I think Cozier coming back and Peart pushing for time on the outside will elevate the line closer to where it needs to be. I don't think another coaching change along the line is beneficial.

These are all good points, but there are two factors that can improve our yards per rush.

One of them you already mentioned -- an improved offensive line.

The other is going up against a defense that has to defend against some threat of a pass. When we run 95% of the time on 1st down and 80% of the time on 2nd down, the defense stacks the box against us and the offensive line is put in an impossible position.

We need creativity in the offense whether it's to set up the pass or the run.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
  • I thought Shirreffs had a nice year and his mobility is a huge asset. I am a complete and big fan of dual threat QBs in the college game. If he stays health, I think you will continue to see him improve and he will end up being one of the better QBs UCONN has had.
  • To my eye, the pass protection from the OL improved immensely from last season and reasonably well during the course of the season. Stellar? No. But, improved. The run blocking was disappointing to me and some of that may have been that we don't have a quick hitting back between the tackles once RonJon is taken out of the equation.
  • I think the play calling this season had some pretty interesting elements. I don't know what the issue was at St. Petes, but outside of that we saw a lot of different looks and I truly believe that the read option will become a regular part of the offense once there is a depth of mobile QBs.
  • I see comments about Tyler Davis. I have no comment because I have never seen him so much as pick up a football let alone run a live offense.
  • Folks want wide open offenses passing 70%+ of the time. That's all great when it works. When it doesn't you put a pretty tired defense on the field and scores get away from you pretty fast. It will be interesting to see how the Orange do with Baber. They are taking an enormous gamble with him. Running that offense against ACC defenses requires a whole different set of talent than it does in the FCS or MAC.
  • I firmly believe this - Fans support winning before they support a style of play. You consistently end up on the short end of the score and you will lose fans, doesn't matter how many points you put up.

Actually. Your opinion is pretty much the same as most on here. Most on here want a competent offense..not high flying. And people wouldn't trade wins for offensive style. But if we are gonna get 7 wins either way, it's more enjoyable watching a 7 win team that targets it's top skill player more than 2-3 times a game.

Reaction Score
Without sheriffs we don't even get close to 6 wins this year
100% agree with this, and want to thank him so very much for what he did for us this year. That being said, I still would love to see what Davis can bring to the table. Younger, bigger, bigger arm. If he is better, he will play.

Husky25

Reaction Score
These are all good points, but there are two factors that can improve our yards per rush.

One of them you already mentioned -- an improved offensive line.

The other is going up against a defense that has to defend against some threat of a pass. When we run 95% of the time on 1st down and 80% of the time on 2nd down, the defense stacks the box against us and the offensive line is put in an impossible position.

We need creativity in the offense whether it's to set up the pass or the run.
95% and 80% on 1st and 2nd down is not true either. I thought the same thing at one point, so I went back and looked at the play mix for the Houston game. With a back up QB, I expected to see what you hypothesize (not 95%, but high) This was a few weeks ago, but I recall:

UConn tended to run the ball on the first play of a drive, but not every first down.
The second play call seemed dependent on the result from the previous play. If the run gained, say 5 yards, they ran it again. If not then it was a pass.
I don't recall a specific pattern from there.

Boyle may have a strong arm, but he's not graceful under fire (i.e. accurate). Couple that with a line that can't give its QB more than 3 seconds to get through progressions or a receiver to gain separation, and the safer play is to run.

I didn't really look at any other game, so take this FWIW.

The final things to be considered are 1) getting to the LoS and actually running a play and 2) gaining first downs. Run, run, run is not a terrible strategy so long as it results in first downs. UConn was #111 in this area. The only Top 25 team worse was Northwestern. UConn must also use those 25 seconds between plays more efficiently. It seemed to get better as the year went on, so part of me attributes it to a new OC, terminology, and relaying plays to the QB, but when a team uses the entire play clock, they can't run many plays. UConn was #105 in number of plays run, and #103 in pass plays run. Bearing in mind that UConn was in the 120's in most offensive areas gives a little indication of how the line has progressed, but getting 1st downs and getting to the line on time should pump those numbers into respectability.

Reaction Score
60 % completion is misleading when he will go 6-10 in a game. The lack of the passing game is obviously on our O-line but it can't all be blamed on them. The QB needs to step up at certain points and make the big plays.

Excluding the Houston/Temple game in which he didn't play, Shirreffs averaged 25.3 passing attempts per/game. It's pretty astonishing he's even at %60 completion with the amount of drops the team has had.

Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
That's a misnomer. It probably would not surprise you to discover that UConn is in the top 1/3 in FBS in Run/Pass Ratio (58%), but would it surprise you to find out that 11 of the AP Top 25 have a higher ratio than UConn (#21 Navy: 86%, #5 Stanford: 66%, #18 Baylor: 65%, #22 LSU: 65%, #12 Northwestern: 64%, #7, tOSU: 64%, #15 Oregon: 63%, #15 Oregon: 63%, #20 Utah: 62%, #14 Houston: 61%, #6 Iowa: 61% and #2 Alabama: 59%), or that 19 Top 25 teams had more rushing attempts?

I really think that many people just look at
scores and don't actually watch games that don't involve UConn. Many of the top scoring offenses are very run-heavy. It's not about style or mix, it's about doing what you do well.

Reaction Score
All good points. Its not the style of the offense that we run. Its that we don't score very many points. Why? Many reasons, but the most important one being that we have a below average offensive line which improved its pass blocking this year but not its run blocking ability. Lack of explosive playmakers is another reason. Shirreffs was our offensive MVP but he does not possess great speed. Beals looks very fast to my eyes but still very green. Way too many drop passes by our tight ends didn't help much either. Improve the development of our players and we will score plenty of points to win most games. Since we do play DEFENSE at UConn 30 points a game will be more than enough in most of our games. In the end it still will come down to how much our O-line improves next year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Disagree. I think the line improved in both pass and run blocking. Had they not improved, 6 wins would have been a pipe dream.

The line was beyond incompetent last year. Merely below average is a drastic improvement.

Reaction Score
I am sure that the coaches have evaluated both Sheriiffs and Davis. If they think that they can demonstrably improve the position then they will. Losing Dahmeer Bradley hurt us I think and we had 2 true freshman out there.

Obviously Anderson is not a candidate and, well, not sure about Boyle's future.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dropping back to complete a pass requires an entire team effort from the line, backs, wideouts, and the QB. We had too many broken pieces. BS had his good and bad moments in both accuracy and decision making. The line actually had more good moments than bad ones but still way too many bad ones. The backs and wideout also missed pickups, ran poor routes from time to time and dropped a lot of big play catches.

Bottom line is it is tough to get anything going if you can't trust the other guys to do their job every snap. Sometimes it was a spinning wheel of mistakes, the only question was who it was going to be.

Naturally, an improved line will make the rest a lot less obvious. I think BS with consistent time can throw at a 60% clip. In the bowl game he had time, but still couldn't find anyone so some of that is on him and when his did on a few occasions they dropped it. Hit on those drops and we probably get enough points to win.

Reaction Score
Let's give Shirreffs the benefit of the doubt and let him work on his game. This was his first year as QB and his first year of football since game 2 in 2013.

60% Completion, more TD's than INT's and a running threat. Needs to sharpen his reads and improve his deep ball.
He needs to sharpen his skills no doubt but who is his mentor? Is that the best UConn can come up with?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Turns out 845 on NYE is the perfect amount of booze for the Boneyard football board to find clarity.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Sticking to the thread title, I know what the answer should not be.
He should not pick up the phone and "call another inopportune time out". He led FBS in that category.
That and he should not call for a fair catch.

Reaction Score
Great, let's get a guy who couldn't win the job at two other programs.

You need to take a look at O'Korn's performance while at Houston. Michigan picked him up and could easily become the starter there next season. He had to sit out this year. I was just saying if Harbaugh goes after 5th yr senior Taysum Hill another dual threat similar to Greg Ward, O'Korn won't be happy and I could see him leaving.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Malik Zaire!

We could really use a dynamic play maker at quarterback instead of the fullback Shirreffs. I thought Shirreffs played admirably this season but if Diaco could cash in on the grad transfer rule with his connections to ND I don't see it being that far fetched.

If Diaco could land Zaire we would have a shot at AAC title next season.

Too bad what you suggest is against NCAA rules

Reaction Score
You've made some good commentary.

However, I differ slightly in some of your points.

If our run-pass mix was on par with our competition our talent level must really be sub par........there must be a reason other teams were more successful in execution and explosive with the same schemes.

I think our defense got pretty tired following an offense that often had a style that generated multiple 3 and outs......gotta mix it up more often.

The current style of play would be good at if the other teams were also unable to generate an offense .....which is why 90% + of UConns wins came against teams with losing records. In case you didn't notice, support is dwindling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom