Diaco: Pulling back on the O-Line (J. Silver) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco: Pulling back on the O-Line (J. Silver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
??? Not sure what you are talking about. I never said 3 steps drops will solve pass blocking woes, I was commenting about a possible adjustment. You are familiar with blocking schemes for O Lineman, correct? Tell me how you simplify blocking schemes for the run game. Please. I am going on the assumption that you are familiar with O Line blocking from an x's and o's standpoint.

I quoted your exact words. My goodness.

Reaction Score
I quoted your exact words. My goodness.

Again. ??? I said the obvious adjustment to poor pass blocking is more 3 step drops. How did you take away from that I meant that it solved the poor pass blocking?

Reaction Score
Ladies, ladies enough of the b**** session. The offensive line sucks. PERIOD. This team can't move the ball on the ground and the QB is constantly pressured.

Reaction Score
I think everyone may be slightly over reacting to comments by Husky supporter.

I don't think he is offering a negative comment about Diaco and his coaches in making adjustments. Most good coaches do that throughout the game. All of us, including Huskysupporter, have suffered through horrendous O line play going on four years now.

None of the coaches in preseason stated they are "excited" about the O-line going into the season. I would guess that they recognized the challenges and for a while weren't even sure of groupings of players. Paraphrasing some commentary by various coaches it is more like "We have some concerns".

That being suggested, for various and whatever reason, I don't think the coaches challenged the OL with schemes as intense as they may have coached at various stops before UConn. It is unfortunate they even possibly have to simplify the schemes even more, which will even make it easier for defensive coordinators on other teams because there will be less to worry about.

Huskysupporter and BNich hit the nail on the head. It isn't faulting the coaches from making changes. It's more of a belief that the coaches find changes necessary because the OLine is worse than they originally anticipated.

Reaction Score
Let's switch up and go to a zone blocking scheme. I hear it can be quite good. I saw all of the wallpaper about it.

Reaction Score
Let's switch up and go to a zone blocking scheme. I hear it can be quite good. I saw all of the wallpaper about it.

Your post may be sarcasm, but absolutely not! I suffered through already enough with former coaches and my Oakland raiders. I've seen all I need to see.

Reaction Score
More to the point here, my main point is that I cannot fathom how people see this as a positive. Even though we are 1 and 2, there are plenty of positives, especially on defense. This is not a positive no matter how anyone wants to spin it.

The whole point is that the OL isn't playing well so the coach is going to simplify the instruction to make it better. If the OL was great, there'd be no need for a comment other than "Wow the OL is great." Because it isn't, the coach, rather than doubling down on a system that isn't working (like the PP/GDL regime would've done), he's admitting that changes need to be made, which many posters here see as a positive since the previous instruction clearly wasn't working.

Reaction Score
After 3 years and 3 games I'm starting to wonder if it's the coaching or the fact that maybe the players just aren't that good and it really doesn't matter who coaches them or how simple you make the plan. Some may argue that this has been the case since the latter days of the Edsall era. Keep in mind Foley has been there the whole time and while everybody wants to pile on Deleone he started as offensive coordinator and Foley was the O-line guy to start the P regime. Even though Deleone's 3 years here were just God-Awful to put it mildly, you have to wonder, if he was that bad how he could have stayed in the game for what...30 years? And...how is he currently coaching in the pros? Something must be there that we all didn't get a chance to see. Which brings me back to my original point, I'm not 100% convinced it's the coaching or play/scheme calling. I might be completely wrong and hope that I am and this O-line thing gets straightened out with the guys that are there but....I'll bet ya behind closed doors Diaco has told the coaches make the O-line priority #1 in recruiting.

Reaction Score
After 3 years and 3 games I'm starting to wonder if it's the coaching or the fact that maybe the players just aren't that good and it really doesn't matter who coaches them or how simple you make the plan. Some may argue that this has been the case since the latter days of the Edsall era. Keep in mind Foley has been there the whole time and while everybody wants to pile on Deleone he started as offensive coordinator and Foley was the O-line guy to start the P regime. Even though Deleone's 3 years here were just God-Awful to put it mildly, you have to wonder, if he was that bad how he could have stayed in the game for what...30 years? And...how is he currently coaching in the pros? Something must be there that we all didn't get a chance to see. Which brings me back to my original point, I'm not 100% convinced it's the coaching or play/scheme calling. I might be completely wrong and hope that I am and this O-line thing gets straightened out with the guys that are there but....I'll bet ya behind closed doors Diaco has told the coaches make the O-line priority #1 in recruiting.

You just can't stop yourself, can you?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

You're absolutely correct; Foley was the OLine guy to start the regime also. And do you know what happened? McCombs had about 1,200 yards and was second in the Big East in rushing and was named to the Freshman All-American team. So then what happened when Foley got moved to TE's and GDL took over the line?!?

I used to think that you were getting treated harshly when people called you, "Mrs. Pasqualoni", but I think that I"m warming up to it now...

Reaction Score
The whole point is that the OL isn't playing well so the coach is going to simplify the instruction to make it better. If the OL was great, there'd be no need for a comment other than "Wow the OL is great." Because it isn't, the coach, rather than doubling down on a system that isn't working (like the PP/GDL regime would've done), he's admitting that changes need to be made, which many posters here see as a positive since the previous instruction clearly wasn't working.

Yes thank you. I don't know what is so hard to understand about this?

Reaction Score

Dislike. Stop taking cheap shots at the players.

Reaction Score
I do think he weyuo raises one legitimate question in all this, and that is whether we actually have players right now who can actually produce on the offensive line. We've got 2 true freshmen backing up, which strongly suggests that the cupboard was pretty bare. I believet hat offensive linemen can be "built" if you get the right kind of guys, but I am not convinced that we really recruited those guys over the last few years. Add to that the fact that with 2 coaching changes in 4 years our recruiting has been a mess. Different emphases from Edsall, Pasqualoni and now Diaco. Different systems. It will be good to see a few years of consistency going forward.

Reaction Score
I don't blame the guys on the line and think they'll improve despite the lapse in development and system changes. But this does highlight the importance of the position and it should never be overlooked in terms of recruiting or getting younger guys ready. Already suggested that every coach recruiting every position should be keeping an eye out for OL and asking coaches and prospects who they might know even if it's not their target on a trip. Poor blocking can take the entire offense down with them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... the coach, rather than doubling down on a system that isn't working ... he's admitting that changes need to be made, which many posters here see as a positive since the previous instruction clearly wasn't working.

Exactly. It's a sign that we have a staff that is aware and knows what they are doing.

Reaction Score
Dislike. Stop taking cheap shots at the players.
I'm not taking cheap shots. I am just wondering whether or not the O-linemen on the team now are capable of being top 25 linemen or not. The goal should be to have a consistent top 25 football team and to do that you need top 25 caliber O-linemen. Do these guys have it in them to be that, to get there? I sure hope so but you can only coach so much, sooner or later they have to do. After Stoney Brook you have to wonder. Now Diaco is saying he is putting too much on their plate too fast so hopefully it's just growing pains with a young inexperienced group.

Reaction Score

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
desmondconner 12:23pm via TweetDeck
OL Kyle Schafenaker who was on the two-deep last year probably won't make it on this year Diaco

NHRJimFuller 12:31pm via TweetDeck
#UConn's Bob Diaco said reserve OL Bryan Paull is also done playing football with Huskies

Wow.

Does this mean that Schafenaker is done with UConn? Or that Diaco feels he's currently not good enough to make the 2-deep? If it's the former, then that's a big blow to us on the OLine, since I think a lot of hopes (mine included) were tied to this kid becoming something really great...

Reaction Score
Wow.

Does this mean that Schafenaker is done with UConn? Or that Diaco feels he's currently not good enough to make the 2-deep? If it's the former, then that's a big blow to us on the OLine, since I think a lot of hopes (mine included) were tied to this kid becoming something really great...

True frosh Crozier was in for a few plays against Boise, interesting development but Schaf is only a redshirt frosh right now so plenty of time left.

Reaction Score
I've been waiting to hear news on Schafenacker all year - and, for the record, this ain't it. Is he injured, struggling academically, not good enough? What is it?

As for simplification, this is good news to me. It worked last year after weyuo's lover was canned and it can work again. Never lose sight of the fact that our OL is not only the weakest link, but the greenest. It was horrifying to see seniors unable to play the position; I can at least take comfort in the fact that we have a ton of first year players on the 2-deep. I used to think when HCBD said he couldn't tell the seniors from the freshmen when he got here, that he was looking at our linemen; i continue to believe they are/were exhibit A. Nonetheless, I am optimistic - I like Rutherford, Knappe and Levy and believe they will be strong contributors as they grow in the system.

Reaction Score
UConn football: Squeezing something out of the OL

>>“Those ARE the guys,” Diaco aid. ” So they’re working. Maybe really inspect the installation so we’re not a jack of all trades and a master of none. Just master a few jobs Maybe decease the run menu…It’s not a play selection issue; a play execution issue.” The Huskies are going to have to scale back what they want to do on offense with the line. That means fewer looks, fewer wrinkles, and maybe more competency in the run game.

One thing Diaco knows is that this isn’t a new issue. “They’re a group that needs a lot of mentoring and work, it’s no secret,” Diaco said. “It was no secret before I got here, it was no secret for (the media). The first question during our first (interviews) was `hey, I know you don’t know this yet, but what are you going to do about the offensive line?’. So we’re in the midst of it right now and we need to help them be better right now than they would otherwise be. “

Diaco inherited the offensive line. What his task is now is to fix it.<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69