Diaco on Recruits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco on Recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The statement BD made about not trading his recruits for anyone else's was (...your opinion here). Though it may appear outwardly absurd, it does send a great message to his recruits.

However, BD made a much bolder statement than that in the interview ... he said that UConn is going to be a winning team next year. I don't recall the exact words he used, but he guaranteed it. That statement won't be forgotten by the media...or the fans for that matter.

C

Chief00

With BD you quickly learn to filter out all that he says and look at results. True you need to do that long term but if we don't see real on the field improvement this year - Houston we have a problem as they say in NASA.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I love his optimism. His positive attitude is very refreshing in a place like New England.

I would enjoy it even more with a larger focus on winning and a higher victory total.

For those that didn't have time watch the whole thing I'll transcribe a pertinent answer responding to JoeD's question about true freshmen cracking the starting lineup:
As we've said to everybody - when you're ready [to start] we're ready... We laid the groundwork. I've been honest for 12 months since I got here. I've been honest for 12 months. You ask me a question, I answer it honestly. Now, not everybody's enjoyed that answer. But now it's time to start winning. And I mean that honestly. So to think that these guys [this year's class] are gonna come in and be better than the guys that are on the team right now, I would be disappointed in our work that we've done over the last 12 months. I'd like to think the foundation we've laid in the development process for our team right now - this 2015 locker room - is strong. These guys are turning themselves into grown men, or at a minimum, young men. And to think that a high school young man / kid is going to come in and displace someone else, to me would be disappointing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whenever someone constantly tells you how honest they are... you can take it to the bank they lie constantly.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I guess if you want to debate the definition of constantly you can. Regardless the point stands without that word.
I wonder if the majority of college coaches going into recruits' living rooms and talk about honesty during the recruiting process.

Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of issues with BD's postgame interviews last season especially in the second half of the season. And it's entirely possible, perhaps likely, that the team is still not going to win "enough" next season, "enough" being, let's say, 7 games. But leaving that aside, I'll ask what what your take is so as not to put words in your mouth. When the coach said "But now it's time to start winning. And I mean that honestly" are you interpreting this to mean that he isn't valuing winning games, and that he spontaneously decided to blurt out "it's time to start winning" because... what? ... he constantly lies?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wonder if the majority of college coaches going into recruits' living rooms and talk about honesty during the recruiting process.

Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of issues with BD's postgame interviews last season especially in the second half of the season. And it's entirely possible, perhaps likely, that the team is still not going to win "enough" next season, "enough" being, let's say, 7 games. But leaving that aside, I'll ask what what your take is so as not to put words in your mouth. When the coach said "But now it's time to start winning. And I mean that honestly" are you interpreting this to mean that he isn't valuing winning games, and that he spontaneously decided to blurt out "it's time to start winning" because... what? ... he constantly lies?

"I've been honest for 12 months since I got here. I've been honest for 12 months."

Only commenting on the very specific point - when someone goes out of their way to tell you how honest they are... they aren't.

Reaction Score
"I've been honest for 12 months since I got here. I've been honest for 12 months."

Only commenting on the very specific point - when someone goes out of their way to tell you how honest they are... they aren't.
Were u there? I was. And I believe him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Were u there? I was. And I believe him.

You believe he's been honest for 12 months. Good for you I guess.

Ask me a question I'm honest:

"Coach Bob Diaco wouldn't confirm or deny Foley's status, but he did say that that part of the game underachieved."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bob never said "winning football games". We all know how the team wins at nutrition, etc., etc.,.

From jim Fuller article post signing day:

>>“I don’t know how many games we are going to win,” Diaco said. “I think we are going to win a lot, <<

.Now, he didn't say in what period of time but...

Reaction Score
From jim Fuller article post signing day:

>>“I don’t know how many games we are going to win,” Diaco said. “I think we are going to win a lot, <<

.Now, he didn't say in what period of time but...

Wasn't he speaking about next season?

Reaction Score
"But now it's time to start winning"

I wonder if Matt S. is ready to apologize for besmirching all of us who questioned wether or not winning games was the goal last year.

Because the evidence is as cleared ever, he wasn't.

I'm glad he doesn't expect any of the true freshman to play. That means we've made some progress.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
"But now it's time to start winning"

I wonder if Matt S. is ready to apologize for besmirching all of us who questioned wether or not winning games was the goal last year.

Because the evidence is as cleared ever, he wasn't.

I'm glad he doesn't expect any of the true freshman to play. That means we've made some progress.

The article that UConn fans had unrealistic expectations remains unquestionably the most idiotic thing I've read about the program ever.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why should we expect to beat SMU? It's not like everyone else they played beat them.

I still can't get over that game.

Not sure what was more impressive, our sheer ineptitude or the fact that these SMU kids at 0-11, came to a rainy, cold East Hartford December Saturday, down at halftime, and didn't go in the tank and beat our a $$ in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
I still can't get over that game.

Not sure what was more impressive, our sheer ineptitude or the fact that these SMU kids at 0-11, came to a rainy, cold East Hartford December Saturday, down at halftime, and didn't go in the tank and beat our a $$ in the 2nd half.

One last kick in the groin was SMU failing to execute the Victory formation at our own 10 yard line because they never ran it. Fitting end to the season.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
One last kick in the groin was SMU failing to execute the Victory formation at our own 10 yard line because they never ran it. Fitting end to the season.

That really was such a fitting end to the season.

I fully admitted on here that I said F it and didn't go to game, but my old man was one of scattered dozens in the stands to see it.

With a 2.5 hour drive to NJ to look forward to afterwards.

Reaction Score
That really was such a fitting end to the season.

I fully admitted on here that I said F it and didn't go to game, but my old man was one of scattered dozens in the stands to see it.

With a 2.5 hour drive to NJ to look forward to afterwards.

We were walking the concourse on the way out when my son kept telling me "Dad, it's not over, they keep getting penalties."

I decided he was better off not understanding what was really going on.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We were walking the concourse on the way out when my son kept telling me "Dad, it's not over, they keep getting penalties."

I decided he was better off not understanding what was really going on.

That scene was too rough for children. You made the right call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom