Diaco is running the offense he wants... | The Boneyard

Diaco is running the offense he wants...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
He isn't scrapping the offense he has been building and developing towards....just to install RR's "invented" offensive in the weeks before the bowl.

This is just like the whole team last year. He played the kids and schemes he wanted and didn't worry about squeezing out an extra win or two.

He is doing the same this year with the offense and the line.

The last game against SMU was a low point but everyone could see vs. Villanova in game 1 (well, almost everyone) that this was a new team.

Next year, if Bob's offense develops at the same rate, we be able to see that in game 1 next year.

And then, in year 4, we might actually return a punt.

Reaction Score
That's right, we are going slowly not because the players are holding us back.

We are moving at the pace the coach wants.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

You didn't see the progress made this year until we became bowl eligible. You clamoured for more Boyle and now for the offense that Rich Rod "invented".

It's hard to take you seriously when it comes to football. Stick to lying - it's playing to your strength.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
The problem isn't the scheme, it is the play calling and the execution. Some of the issue is talent and some of the issue is coaching.

He is building an offense that requires a dominant offensive line. We don't have that.

So..., he can either:
1 Keep building and coaching and recruiting OR

2 Use Rich Rods "invention" for the bowl game.

I like that he choose 1 - It gets us closer to an AAC championship.

Reaction Score

Pal are you going to send the ticket office a nasty gram and tell them you are not buying 1 more ticket to UCONN football until Diaco is fired? If you do please post it here under a new thread...it will surely be a GREAT read!

Reaction Score
You didn't see the progress made this year until we became bowl eligible. You clamoured for more Boyle and now for the offense that Rich Rod "invented".

It's hard to take you seriously when it comes to football. Stick to lying - it's playing to your strength.
You just make thing up. Most of them are absolute lies. I do admire your shamelessness. But you are delusional.

For example. I have always said that I need to see progress in the win column. It has nothing to do with bowl games. You made that up.

I wanted to see Boyle rather than Whitmer. You pretend I said it this year. You made that up.

I never called for RR spread (let alone clamored). I used it to make a point about the passing game. You made that up.

Lie. Lie. Lie. Hope you're proud of yourself.

Reaction Score
You just make thing up. Most of them are absolute lies. I do admire your shamelessness. But you are delusional.

For example. I have always said that I need to see progress in the win column. It has nothing to do with bowl games. You made that up.

I wanted to see Boyle rather than Whitmer. You pretend I said it this year. You made that up.

I never called for RR spread (let alone clamored). I used it to make a point about the passing game. You made that up.

Lie. Lie. Lie. Hope you're proud of yourself.

You actually outright proclaimed last year that Boyle was better than Whitmer. Then denied you ever said it despite me providing your quotes.

Reaction Score
BD knows already that offense is a problem. He is going to fix it the best way possible. Obviously talents needed a major upgrade. Coaching (Diaco-Verducci) needed to improve/change. Year 2 was better than year 1. Let's us all hope that year 3 will be substantially better!!! At least that's my wish for the New Year 2016.

Reaction Score
You actually outright proclaimed last year that Boyle was better than Whitmer. Then denied you ever said it despite me providing your quotes.
I said he had a better arm. He did and does. I said we needed to play him to find out if he was our QB of the future. Diaco apparently agreed because he eventually did what I asked. I also said playing Boyle would pay dividends because he was an underclassmen and that playing Whitmer had zero upside. Both were true. Who was actually better Whitmer or Boyle? Not really a meaningful argument as both proved to be poor college QBs.

You distorted my comments and continue to do so. That isn't my problem, it's yours.

Reaction Score
And then, in year 4, we might actually return a punt.

Debbie downer... we better return a few next year.. Can't forget all phases of the game... First 2 seasons under his regime we've left out our PR game... for the most part...

Reaction Score
Palatine said:
I said he had a better arm. He did and does. I said we needed to play him to find out if he was our QB of the future. Diaco apparently agreed because he eventually did what I asked. I also said playing Boyle would pay dividends because he was an underclassmen and that playing Whitmer had zero upside. Both were true. Who was actually better Whitmer or Boyle? Not really a meaningful argument as both proved to be poor college QBs. You distorted my comments and continue to do so. That isn't my problem, it's yours.

When you say it like that it makes sense. Of course you didn't say it like that at the time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm operating under the assumption that the WR were the intended target on every drop back that Shirreffs held, looked and tucked, or was flushed or sacked. That's probably another 8 targets which would have given him 25 for the game.

25 pass attempts in that game is probably about right. He connected on 10 with at least 3 drops. That would have made him 13/17. If he ends up hitting half of the 8 aborted attempts that's 17/25. I can live with 17/25. Need to figure out how why he can't get rid of the ball. Could be a lot of things other than the OL. WR not getting off the line, not separating or the QB not delivering the ball on time.

The drops are personnel. No surprise a converted OL isn't spiderman.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
There are quotes after the Marshall game from BD and BS that make it clear they were planning on having Shirreffs throw to the WRs at least some more plays and he didn't accomplish that. It happens sometimes when you have a QB who can run and an OL that doesn't handle the pass rush adequately. But yeah, much easier to say the coaches are scared to call a passing play.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We have never run an explosive offense. To get to that point, we would need YEARS of recruiting triumphs to win battles for the fastest, biggest kids along the eastern seaboard. That won't happen. Not until we have more to sell to kids other than a vision. They need to see results.

The last few years the recruiting focus has primarily been to bring in kids with big frames. With proper S&C, those frames can develop into NFL sized bodies. We don't have the team speed to take on the Baylor types, but if we can out physical those types of teams, we have a chance to win.

Bottomline - we are running the offense that best fits our personnel. It will take some time for the personnel to run our offense better. With this year's bowl practice allotment, hopefully that timeframe has sped up a bit.

Reaction Score
I actually thought the pass protection against Marshall wasn't that bad. The run blocking continues to be for however.

I think Shireffs either failed to make the reads or the receivers just were not getting separation. Hard to know. Marshall was supposed to have a very good secondary and it might simply be that was the case against our young receivers.

Reaction Score
I actually thought the pass protection against Marshall wasn't that bad. The run blocking continues to be for however.

I think Shireffs either failed to make the reads or the receivers just were not getting separation. Hard to know. Marshall was supposed to have a very good secondary and it might simply be that was the case against our young receivers.

I don't believe Shireffs went thru his progressions well when throwing the ball.. He might've gone thru them but he just wasn't gonna fling it... we need him to not look reluctant to throw the football to somebody.. He looked it... and he looked a little tentative when he ran with the ball... Understandable he's never seen Marshall before, but you gotta come out there and play.. Lead our team... The ball's in your hands most of the time on our side... Hopefully he'll learn a lot and dramatically improve.. He did a lot of good things for us this year.. Sometimes we can focus on the "what have you done for me lately" stuff... get caught up in the moment.. I know I did/have. I just hope he takes that next step and surprise us all not only with his legs, but with his arm... and I hope our OL is a part of the reason why he's improved.... don't want him to get hurt back there because of miscommunications that have happened way too often these past few years...

Reaction Score
We have never run an explosive offense. To get to that point, we would need YEARS of recruiting triumphs to win battles for the fastest, biggest kids along the eastern seaboard. That won't happen. Not until we have more to sell to kids other than a vision. They need to see results.

You mean like Tulsa and Toledo? It's utter nonsense to suggest we have to be a top recruiting school in the entire region to run an explosive offense or at least one that can score on a regular basis. There's no denying that we have made strides since last year but the some of the stuff I'm reading is like a dream that ignores reality.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame

Take a look at the rankings and the list of teams ahead of us or even just the top 50. Plenty of teams in there with recruiting challenges and a few turnaround stories as well. If you make the argument that our OL stinks and that accounts for a lot of the disparity we can agree. If you're making the excuse that we can't recruit guys that can make plays in a more diverse offense, we have a fundamental disagreement based on the teams that have made it work. And right now you can take your pick of about 95% of 1A who are ahead of us.

This seems to be a philosophy based on low low risk and keeping our most talented guys in sync with what the weakest unit on the team can accomplish within the system. We may still be able to slowly progress to respectability on offense but I worry we may hit a ceiling in terms of what this scheme can produce versus the top half of teams. I sincerely hope I'm wrong but even if I am this will likely be a very gradual process unless some fundamental changes in philosophy are made or one of the QB's in the stable turns out to be Johnny Football..

Reaction Score
College football has evolved.. Offense sells... that's the reality... The "Big Boys", the P5 schools, when needed, can put points on the board with ease, but do not, because when they play each other, physically, talent wise, they match up well... BUT, there's always a HUGE offensive play or two or 3 in the game somewhere...

IMO, we should strive to trounce on FCS level schools or lesser FBS level opponents when we should.. not play to their level and not look at it as being respectful to their opponent... It's building confidence of the players. That type of football is long and gone... build our kids' confidence with big wins vs. lesser opponents... Then they should be amped up to play stronger ones when the game time comes... This type of play also attracts what we're looking to do or become, a P5 level program... I hope in 2016 we see that...

Reaction Score
I know very few people who would be unhappy with any philosophy/style of play - as long as it leads to win. In college football, it's not unheard of to see programs really cheat like hell in all respects, as a philosophy to win games - and fans are happy.

Lots of discussion to be had about how to go about getting to winning.

I love smashmouth football. I despise the powder puff, flag football style of play. May as well shorten field, eliminate the punt from the game, and have every body start on offense at the 50 and go one way. Fit more people into a football stadium that way.

Reaction Score
Solid point... bottom line, the game we all love as FBS level football is being pimped...

Reaction Score
Everybody misses the good ole days until they try to relive them. There's a good sized handful of people who also like watching the offense (other than Bama and a few other dominant lines) stand around until every second of the clock is milked and then try to smashmouth on first and second down and pass on third. It's just that most of them are opposing defensive coordinators. The reason teams have implemented high tempo or more aggressive offenses is to give them a punchers chance against bigger and stronger athletes. If I remember correctly it was one of those "powder-puff" plays that helped us beat Houston and make it to a Bowl game.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
One other stray thought that just popped int my head. A normal pro set will tend to take its' downfield shots on waste downs like 2nd and 2... When do we have anything that remotely resembles a waste down?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Everybody misses the good ole days until they try to relive them. There's a good sized handful of people who also like watching the offense (other than Bama and a few other dominant lines) stand around until every second of the clock is milked and then try to smashmouth on first and second down and pass on third. It's just that most of them are opposing defensive coordinators. The reason teams have implemented high tempo or more aggressive offenses is to give them a punchers chance against bigger and stronger athletes. If I remember correctly it was one of those "powder-puff" plays that helped us beat Houston and make it to a Bowl game.
Well, that and the four picks. That double pass TD to win that game was so close to being a pick six the other way. I guess, though, that Houston qualifies for the annual wtf win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom