Diaco has a Ferrari in the Garage from NC State too! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco has a Ferrari in the Garage from NC State too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The way I see it, after the past three seasons (minus the 4.5 games Cochran started), the QB situation has been subpar. Hell, the QB's we had made the service academies QB's look like Tom Brady in comparison. I think there's no where but up to go with the position. The line should be improved even more with a full season and another offseason under their belt which means more running lanes for the RB's and better pass protection. If we are indeed going spread/read option and Sherriffs is the dual threat he's being touted as, I can see many more games like the one we had against UCF.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Any offense that's not actually offensive would be a nice change, no matter who is (or isn't) throwing the ball.

On a side note, I got a kick out of CCarl's OP about Sherriff being the new Sheriff. It was cute, and rosy, with just a hint of sugary Christmas sweetness. This dumpster fire could use a little Rainbow Brite here and there.

And his name is Shirreffs.

This is a Sheriff.
blazing-saddles6.jpg

Reaction Score
Tempered enthusiasm for me. UConn has a habit of taking transfers that other BCS programs "cooperatively" released from scholarships.

That being said, I hope for a change we did get a gem.

Sherriff went to NC State under the impression that they would be running a spread offense and he was given certain assurances. There was also a coaching change at NC State which wanted more of a Pro set.

This is in fact the opposite of the Boyle situation at Boston College where Adazio's system called for a dual threat qb vs. a drop back, Pro style qb (Boyle)

Shirreffs (Jefferson, Georgia) played in nine games as a true freshman for the Wolfpack, but said last month that he was leaving because program was moving to more of a dropback style offensive system. Shirreffs is more of a mobile, play-making quarterback.

"Just looking at where the program was headed and me personally as a player with the new system being put in place, I felt like I could have better opportunities someplace else, and UConn popped up," Shirreffs said, via the Hartford Courant. "It just seems like a perfect opportunity right now. ... I don't think it's useful to stay in a place you can't succeed. And you can try as hard as you can, but if you don't feel like you can succeed, you're thinking about leaving, you're not all in or fully committed to that school ... so that's what I felt. I believe it wasn't good for me or the team for me to be there."

Again, this is the Boyle situation in reverse. It should be an interesting competition. My guess is the Mobile QB will be the winner of the competition.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Oh great, the next QB that's yet to take a snap in a UCONN uniform is already being anointed savior.

But obviously whomever the backup ends up being is better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh man, am I ever damaged from the last three years. I read the OP and I'm thinking pal, just . Really I'm not ready for optimism just yet. Maybe by the Spring game it won't be quite so bad.

Reaction Score
Will you paleeez give me an break. We have had the WORST year in UCONN history and are the doormat of FBS football. This is just a LITTLE optimism for next season. Can't I have that? I feel like a little kid that is excited about Christmas and you are the scrooge that dumps on me saying there is no such thing as Santa Clause.

If I keep thinking that Boyle is the QB of the future, I may have to get a script for anxiety and depression!

Obviously we have little to go by but from all that I can gather, Sherriff for me right now is a Ferrari that is about to roll out of the garage! I am just hoping he dosn't fall off his bike and break his wrist!

I got your back, Carl. I have no reason to be optimistic, but I'm sick of being sick to my stomach. I'll jump on the bandwagon because the alternative is to wallow in my grief. It also gives me a reason to live through the winter and look forward to spring ball!

Shirreffs will be the new Sheriff in town!

Reaction Score
Well ... a lot really depends on that QB.

And Ball security ... and 50 other things.

But, the Memphis analogy (and they did suck it up at Rentschler Dec of 2013) fails when you look at the development of Paxton Lynch. We simply don't have that to look forward to. A good Shirreffs could be the start. I do think that OUR fears for the Offensive Line largely turned for the better. I have never seen a Team, though, cough up more TDs on turnovers at the least opportune game-changing moment.

Reaction Score
So Stewart being a starter and having 94 tackles, 2 sacks and 38 solo tackles was chopped liver?
Just wanted to add he lead the team in tackles for a loss also. So many here think one man can change the entire make up of a football team...
BD for being a D guru held the boys back a lot. QB's were given time to waltz ....Blame the players rather than the scheme ex...Army...

Reaction Score
So Stewart being a starter and having 94 tackles, 2 sacks and 38 solo tackles was chopped liver?

He also had 10.5 tackles for loss. Stewart struggled in coverage and over pursued a lot and those are issues he can easily fix. Let's just hope he works harder this off-season and comes back even stronger and more disciplined in coverage.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It's better to have hope, than none at all. Considering this is the season for giving, maybe we should give this quarterback and the team the benefit of the doubt before trashing them all.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
He also had 10.5 tackles for loss. Stewart struggled in coverage and over pursued a lot and those are issues he can easily fix. Let's just hope he works harder this off-season and comes back even stronger and more disciplined in coverage.
He had trouble setting the edge when called on to do so.. tough to do when you don't line up in a containment position and have to get through traffic to get there.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's better to have hope, than none at all. Considering this is the season for giving, maybe we should give this quarterback and the team the benefit of the doubt before trashing them all.

Nah.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Sherriffs as a true freshman last year at NC State:
http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G

Shirreffs, B. 8 34 162 4 158 4.6 1 28 19.8

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
Thomas, P. 9 115.1 149-247-9 60.3 1667 4 80 185.2
Mitchell, B. 7 120.5 86-151-6 57.0 1011 7 80 144.4
Leatham,G. 3 144.5 9-17-0 52.9 146 1 52 48.7
Shirreffs, B. 8 174.6 4-5-0 80.0 17 1 7 2.1

http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bryant_shirreffs_851227.html
As a Freshman (2013):

- Played quarterback, he was in for nine snaps in the opener when he lined up in the `wildcat' formation and ran the ball nine times.

- Threw the Pack's first TD pass of the year and ran for TD vs. Richmond.

- An Academic All-ACC performer.

In High School:

- Three-year starter at quarterback for Coach Thomas McFerrin.

- Helped lead his team to the Georgia 2A state championship and a 15-1 record as a senior.

- Honors: A 2012 MaxPreps Small School All-American second-team performer as a senior. Class 2A Offensive Player of the Year. Athens Banner-Herald All-Northeast Georgia Football Player of the Year.

- Career Stats: 7,677 yards total offense and accounted for 90 touchdowns.

- Senior Stats: 2,369 passing yards, 18 touchdown passes; 1,372 rushing yards and 20 rushing touchdowns.

- Junior Stats: 1,912 passing yards, 508 rushing yards, 27 total TDs.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
NC State vs Richmond Game highlights. Sherriff runs for a touchdown and tosses a 1 yard pass which is followed by approx 20 yard scamper by the running back for a touchdown. Funny thing about this game is that NC State stole it based on a phantom pass interference penalty which set up the game winning field goal in the final minutes.

Reaction Score
NC State vs Richmond Game highlights. Sherriff runs for a touchdown and tosses a 1 yard pass which is followed by approx 20 yard scamper by the running back for a touchdown. Funny thing about this game is that NC State stole it based on a phantom pass interference penalty which set up the game winning field goal in the final minutes.

Shirreffs outruns a safety to the goal line (30 yard run) in that video. Looking forward to option ball next year, I half wish we went full GTech on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom