Diaco gets DC Job At Purdue | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco gets DC Job At Purdue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He'll look smashing in yellow! Just leave that look in Lafayette when you head to the civil war Bobby D.

Reaction Score
He'll look smashing in yellow! Just leave that look in Lafayette when you head to the civil war Bobby D.

they don’t need the civil war, Purdue/Indiana has the Old Oaken Bucket.

Reaction Score
@purdue congrats
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Look he clearly was in over his head as a HC but he has had success in defensive coach positions. I don’t root against the guy. Unlike low energy PP I think he did the best he could. I blame the high paid administration who hired him.
I was going to share similar thoughts. So here it goes. He was unsuccessful in his first go as a HC. So was bill Belichick, Pete Carroll and countless others. His speciality is defense. He can coach defense. Maybe that's where his success will always be.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Look he clearly was in over his head as a HC but he has had success in defensive coach positions. I don’t root against the guy. Unlike low energy PP I think he did the best he could. I blame the high paid administration who hired him.
He just about killed the football program I have followed since the 70's. He didn't listen to anybody outside his circle, insulted the intelligence of the fanbase and continually acted like he is the g-d of football. Outside of football, his thought process isn't much different. He snowed the administration willingly and quite frankly- has saved all the money he fleeced from UConn and Nebraska. His attitude of his crap doesn't stink flies in the face of anyone I want teaching my kid. I TOTALLY ROOT against him and will until the day(which will never come) where he says "I screwed up at UConn".

You are also not wrong to blame the hiring committee for falling for his crap. Warde et al screwed up big time.

Reaction Score
He just about killed the football program I have followed since the 70's. He didn't listen to anybody outside his circle, insulted the intelligence of the fanbase and continually acted like he is the g-d of football. Outside of football, his thought process isn't much different. He snowed the administration willingly and quite frankly- has saved all the money he fleeced from UConn and Nebraska. His attitude of his crap doesn't stink flies in the face of anyone I want teaching my kid. I TOTALLY ROOT against him and will until the day(which will never come) where he says "I screwed up at UConn".

You are also not wrong to blame the hiring committee for falling for his crap. Warde et al screwed up big time.
He did not intentionally screw up at UConn. He wasn't ready and still is not. Warde not only screwed up big time, but actually screwed UConn big time.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
He did not intentionally screw up at UConn. He wasn't ready and still is not. Warde not only screwed up big time, but actually screwed UConn big time.
He willfully disobeyed his bosses orders on whom to put on his staff. He willfully surrounded himself with people that were "his" guys. He wasn't ready and he tried to hide it with his shenanigans instead of accepting the help offered him. Tell me that isn't willful? And yes, I agree UConn screwed up big time.

Reaction Score
Diaco was a mess from everyone involved in his hire. That being said, he knows defense and our defenses were light years ahead of what they are currently. I personally wish him the best. He tried, failed and is picking himself back up.

Reaction Score
Diaco’s defenses at UConn got worse each of the three years he was here as Pasqualoni’s recruits left the program.

His final defense allowed 411 yards a game. This year’s bad defense allowed 467.. a big difference but not light years and I have more faith in the talent on the roster leading to further gains than I did by the end of Diaco’s tenure when it seemed clear that trend would continue if a change wasn’t made.

Reaction Score
Diaco’s defenses at UConn got worse each of the three years he was here as Pasqualoni’s recruits left the program.

His final defense allowed 411 yards a game. This year’s bad defense allowed 467.. a big difference but not light years and I have more faith in the talent on the roster leading to further gains than I did by the end of Diaco’s tenure when it seemed clear that trend would continue if a change wasn’t made.

Yup, and Diaco did everything he could to shorten the games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of his issues from what i see is that he's bounced around a ton in various jobs and really didn't have any identity with any of those teams. He played at Iowa and then went more up north et. al. Guys that recruit well typically have the personality but also get some swag off of being a big guy in some area of the country recruiting wise. HIs history is a well traveled:

1996–1997Iowa (GA)
1999–2000Western Illinois (RB/ST)
2001Eastern Michigan (RB/ST)
2002Eastern Michigan (LB/ST)
2003Eastern Michigan (OLB/ST)
2004Western Michigan (LB/ST)
2005Central Michigan (co-DC/LB)
2006–2008Virginia (LB/ST)
2009Cincinnati (DC/ILB)
2010–2011Notre Dame (DC/ILB)
2012–2013Notre Dame (AHC/DC/LB)
2014–2016Connecticut
2017Nebraska (DC)
2018Oklahoma (OLB)
2019Louisiana Tech (DC)
2020-presentPurdue (DC)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Not to defend him but his “bend but not break” defense typically kept people out of the end zone. They also had to spend so much time on the field because of their historically inept friends on offense.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Not to defend him but his “bend but not break” defenses typically kept people out of the end zone. They also had to spend so much time on the field because their friends on offense were historically awful. His last year was so strange. 3-3 including the Navy debacle to start. Wins over Cincy and Virginia. Close lose to Cuse thanks to a “fake fake field goal” and a somewhat respectable games vs an insanely good Houston team and a very good USF team. Then had a 10-0 halftime lead vs a freshman McKenzie Milton led rebuilding UCF team and ... they played like total ass the second half of that game and the final 4 games to close out including 3 total points across 3 games. (ECU Temple BC) and got blown out by a crap Tulane team to close out.

for the best motivator in football, that team completely gave up.

Reaction Score
Not to defend him but his “bend but not break” defenses typically kept people out of the end zone. They also had to spend so much time on the field because their friends on offense were historically awful. His last year was so strange. 3-3 including the Navy debacle to start. Wins over Cincy and Virginia. Close lose to Cuse thanks to a “fake fake field goal” and a somewhat respectable games vs an insanely good Houston team and a very good USF team. Then had a 10-0 halftime lead vs a freshman McKenzie Milton led rebuilding UCF team and ... they played like total ass the second half of that game and the final 4 games to close out including 3 total points across 3 games. (ECU Temple BC) and got blown out by a crap Tulane team to close out.

for the best motivator in football, that team completely gave up.
I remember that Tulane game. In the men’s room someone was chanting “Randy Edsall.”I just laughed thinking no way.

Reaction Score
Diaco was a mess from everyone involved in his hire. That being said, he knows defense and our defenses were light years ahead of what they are currently. I personally wish him the best. He tried, failed and is picking himself back up.

You know his defenses at UConn involved very little of his recruits right? Heat know defense but he doesn’t know how to evaluate talent and that’s why we have had D3 players playing fbs football

Reaction Score
One of his issues from what i see is that he's bounced around a ton in various jobs and really didn't have any identity with any of those teams. He played at Iowa and then went more up north et. al. Guys that recruit well typically have the personality but also get some swag off of being a big guy in some area of the country recruiting wise. HIs history is a well traveled:

1996–1997Iowa (GA)
1999–2000Western Illinois (RB/ST)
2001Eastern Michigan (RB/ST)
2002Eastern Michigan (LB/ST)
2003Eastern Michigan (OLB/ST)
2004Western Michigan (LB/ST)
2005Central Michigan (co-DC/LB)
2006–2008Virginia (LB/ST)
2009Cincinnati (DC/ILB)
2010–2011Notre Dame (DC/ILB)
2012–2013Notre Dame (AHC/DC/LB)
2014–2016Connecticut
2017Nebraska (DC)
2018Oklahoma (OLB)
2019Louisiana Tech (DC)
2020-presentPurdue (DC)
He doesn't stay longer than 3 years...from the table...I know coaches get fired if the head coach get fired, but he needs to stick around at a place...I am neutral with my opinion of him, if he wasn't arrogant, I wonder if he'd still be here. I mean, getting Kill on the staff...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm not sure it was RedPants D or was it PP's players that produced some decent D in the Diaco early year or two.
Diaco was a joke, the worst recruiter and overpaid but left a wealthy man - thank you Warde

Reaction Score
Not to defend him but his “bend but not break” defense typically kept people out of the end zone. They also had to spend so much time on the field because of their historically inept friends on offense.

Diaco's philosophy is sound. It isn't bend but don't break, that's not what is intended but happens when it doesn't work, it is more totally end gash plays and control line of scrimmage. Almost no blitzing. That is a good strategy when you have elite talent that can dominate, and corners that can cover. UConn had that early in Diaco's career (Jones, Melinfonwu, Wreh-Wilson, Gratz, Adams etc.) Think about how good that secondary was!

I liked Don Brown's strategy of screw it, we aren't smart enough anyway, just kill the QB. I think that works better in college. That strategy came about at UMass when players were having trouble with a concepts. He said....just tackle the QB. Biggest issue, as we have seen, is it is a bully defense that is susceptible to the big plays. If you have a team that can execute at a high level they will exploit the over aggressiveness.

Reaction Score
Diaco's philosophy is sound. It isn't bend but don't break, that's not what is intended but happens when it doesn't work, it is more totally end gash plays and control line of scrimmage. Almost no blitzing. That is a good strategy when you have elite talent that can dominate, and corners that can cover. UConn had that early in Diaco's career (Jones, Melinfonwu, Wreh-Wilson, Gratz, Adams etc.) Think about how good that secondary was!

He had good talent but he did not have Gratz and BWW - they were in pros by time he and his fishcakes arrived

Reaction Score

I liked Don Brown's strategy of screw it, we aren't smart enough anyway, just kill the QB. I think that works better in college. That strategy came about at UMass when players were having trouble with a concepts. He said....just tackle the QB. Biggest issue, as we have seen, is it is a bully defense that is susceptible to the big plays. If you have a team that can execute at a high level they will exploit the over aggressiveness.
Wreh Wilson and Gratz did not play for Diaco they played for P. Your timeline is off.

Reaction Score
You know his defenses at UConn involved very little of his recruits right? Heat know defense but he doesn’t know how to evaluate talent and that’s why we have had D3 players playing fbs football

This. I have no doubt Diaco is a capable DC. Whether he's good or not we don't need to get into. The year we got to 6-6 entirely on our defense was just one example of that.

His player evaluation and recruiting was simply incompetent. Period. If he gets another chance somewhere, that can be overcome if he accepts what he didn't know and has others on his staff who can evaluate. I don't think his issue was his salesmanship -- I think his issue was his evaluation. And then development once they got here.

During Edsall 1, we won very few recruiting battles with other teams at or near our level. But he overcame that by finding guys that no one else at our level wanted who ended up being big time players (see, e.g, Beatty, William) and giving walk-ons who could play a chance to help the team (from Shaun Feldeison in the early years to sending Marcus Easley and Donald Thomas to the NFL), and then developing the entire roster to everyone's full potential over 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom