Diaco Complaint Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco Complaint Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can't imagine just how hard that dumb f%&k makes it for me to predict undefeated seasons! it's so hard to do with him at the helm. I have to look at you all, right at all of your awesome handpicked avatars, and lie like no man has ever lied before!

Elvis is still alive? Not as hard.
Taco Bell uses real meat? Nope, not as hard.
Yellow cake in Iraq? Not as hard. Maybe even easier than fish oil cake.

Undefeated under Diaco??? I've got severe agita...:confused:

Woah, Pump. The. Brakes. I'm a new member here but have drifted in and out for a while. I need your optimism. I tell ev re body how great we're gonna be. I'm either ignored or have to delve into MY theory of relativity after being told I'm nuts. I'm not nuts, I come here to prove that to myself. In all sincerity, please keep predicting perfect seasons.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think it's fine to tell people their statements are factually incorrect.

I laugh at the idea there's some sort of "agenda", like people need some sort of excuse to criticize everything about Diaco and the program right now. And as if everyone here (but the very few trolls), aren't complaining because we're basically terrible at everything right now. It's an agenda? Sure, okay.

I may be off on an island here, but when people criticize literally everything without regard for whether or not it's warranted, it desensitizes everyone for when something actually egregious happens. It's like the red pants thing -- how is that something you seriously criticize? There are huge problems with the program, and I saw more posts about pants than cushions in the defensive backfield or missed blocking assignments among backs and WRs throughout the entire second half of the season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I may be off on an island here, but when people criticize literally everything without regard for whether or not it's warranted...

I sort of know what you are saying, I don't like piling on myself. But what criticism wasn't warranted? I think it's that bad.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I sort of know what you are saying, I don't like piling on myself. But what criticism wasn't warranted? I think it's that bad.

Saying we can't recruit players other FBS schools want when that's easily proven false isn't warranted.

Reaction Score
My biggest complaint about Diaco is that he is still the HC other than that my sausage and peppers my kid made for me were delightful

Reaction Score
I may be off on an island here, but when people criticize literally everything without regard for whether or not it's warranted, it desensitizes everyone for when something actually egregious happens. It's like the red pants thing -- how is that something you seriously criticize? There are huge problems with the program, and I saw more posts about pants than cushions in the defensive backfield or missed blocking assignments among backs and WRs throughout the entire second half of the season.
I wasn't trying to pick a fight. You're not wrong, it was honestly just the agenda thing.

I agree and couldn't care less about his pants. It isn't even worth discussing.

But I think the argument that our recruiting is a serious problem based on other offers is entirely justified. And if someone is wrong about the number of other FBS offers they should be corrected, but that doesn't mean they are wrong about the entirety of our recruiting. They should be accurate, but they don't need an agenda to criticize our recruiting.

And I'm not saying these guys won't pan out. Some definitely will.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Woah, Pump. The. Brakes. I'm a new member here but have drifted in and out for a while. I need your optimism. I tell ev re body how great we're gonna be. I'm either ignored or have to delve into MY theory of relativity after being told I'm nuts. I'm not nuts, I come here to prove that to myself. In all sincerity, please keep predicting perfect seasons.

Don't worry. I'm contractually obligated to predict an undefeated season. Also, if I don't, I'm pretty sure that Greg Lloyd will knock the helmet straight off of my head. I think you know exactly what I'm talking about...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wasn't trying to pick a fight. You're not wrong, it was honestly just the agenda thing.

I agree and couldn't care less about his pants. It isn't even worth discussing.

But I think the argument that our recruiting is a serious problem based on other offers is entirely justified. And if someone is wrong about the number of other FBS offers they should be corrected, but that doesn't mean they are wrong about the entirety of our recruiting. They should be accurate, but they don't need an agenda to criticize our recruiting.

And I'm not saying these guys won't pan out. Some definitely will.
So I agree entirely with you that offers matter, etc. I know many of here tout this all the time and I agree with it. However, I am not quite sure how it's expected to be corrected. Sure, we could target, and do target, players that other AAC schools are going after. However, we are losing every single one we go after it seems. Even the one we got flipped to Temple. Does anyone truly believe we can beat out any of these AAC schools at this point? So what's the magic fix? Would people rather Diaco just doesn't have a recruiting class because we don't want recruits that only have FCS offers and maybe a random FBS offer? I mean seriously?

I'm not trying to excuse our poor recruiting class based on offers because Diaco has made his bed based on this teams performance under him. However, we can't just magically make these recruits come here. We aren't in a position to be beating out our conference mates so we need to find other recruits. No one is looking at UConn and saying they HAVE to go there. That's the problem and something I wish the school would fix by firing Diaco, but seeing how they aren't, Diaco has to do what he can to put a team on the field next year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The biggest worry as fans is that competing AAC schools are recruited kids with higher rankings AND those schools have coaching staffs who have shown the ability to "coach up" their personnel.

So, UConn is started at a lower talent level baseline and has retained a staff that shows it can't outkick the coverage.

Reaction Score
So I agree entirely with you that offers matter, etc. I know many of here tout this all the time and I agree with it. However, I am not quite sure how it's expected to be corrected. Sure, we could target, and do target, players that other AAC schools are going after. However, we are losing every single one we go after it seems. Even the one we got flipped to Temple. Does anyone truly believe we can beat out any of these AAC schools at this point? So what's the magic fix? Would people rather Diaco just doesn't have a recruiting class because we don't want recruits that only have FCS offers and maybe a random FBS offer? I mean seriously?

I'm not trying to excuse our poor recruiting class based on offers because Diaco has made his bed based on this teams performance under him. However, we can't just magically make these recruits come here. We aren't in a position to be beating out our conference mates so we need to find other recruits. No one is looking at UConn and saying they HAVE to go there. That's the problem and something I wish the school would fix by firing Diaco, but seeing how they aren't, Diaco has to do what he can to put a team on the field next year.
It's corrected by firing the head recruiter.

God bless every recruit willing to step into this dumpster fire. I hope they are great players. Some will be, some won't be. Every coach at every level swings and misses for recruits at their level. Looking at our recruiting, in order to compete at the AAC level, Diaco needs to bat 1.000.

He isn't the prodigy of college that doesn't land a kid who isn't good enough for their level of competition.

He's going to have misses, but our misses aren't going to be players not good enough for AAC but good enough for the MAC, they're going to be players not good enough for the MAC, and not good enough for levels below the MAC, maybe even FCS.

That's scary. But any one of those kids could be a stud, and the one or two that inevitably will be studs, won't give a what I post about them on a message board. And they shouldn't, I don't know a thing about evaluating talent. But I'm going off the opinions of the people that do.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of 2014, right after Diaco was hired, theuconnblog projected the starters for 2014, Diaco's first season:

QB: Cochran - Lasted one game before retiring.
RB: McCombs - Gone in June due to behavior.
WR: Davis
WR: Phillips - Transfered to BC in July.
WR: Foxx
TE: McQuillen - Played in 2014, booted in July 2015 due to arrest.
OL: Hemingway - Gone in June due to behavior.
OL: Samra
OL: Mateas
OL: Cruz/Schafenacker
OL: Gifford
DL: Pruitt - Played 2 games, then retired due to injuries.
DL: McBride
DL: Campenni
LB: Ashiru - Left team with games still to play.
LB: Vann
LB: Hicks
LB: Frank
DB: Jones - Injured during ECU game in October and missed rest of season.
DB: Williams
DB: Melifonwu
DB: Brown - Disqualified in May due to injury. Transferred to BC.

Plus, Joe Williams, RB, and Elijah Norris, TE, were booted in January and Bryan Paul, OL, retired due to injury in September.

In other words, UConn was a dumpster fire when Diaco got here as the roster was decimated, especially on offense and the OL had little experience.

And, his 2014 recruiting class was mostly PP's. So he had had 2 full recruiting classes and those kids are mostly RS FR and FR who are redshirting. Obviously, the recruits will not have had a big impact on the field yet as all the skill players in the 2016 class redshirted and linemen take multiple years to develop.

All that said, Diaco has been learning on the job and he has made some horrible game day decisions. And, I think he needs to bring in more QBs and skilled players instead of big framed prototypes and I hate the bend but don't break defense. Plus, I have a hard time listening to his interviews and he would be better off saying less. This coming season, Diaco has to prove he can win.

I'm not happy with the results since Edsall left, but I recognize Diaco inherited a mess and I think the team is in a better place than when he was hired. The OL that Diaco has recruited that have played (Crozier, Oak, Peart) are better than the two seniors who just graduated. Now, we need QBs.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's corrected by firing the head recruiter.

God bless every recruit willing to step into this dumpster fire. I hope they are great players. Some will be, some won't be. Every coach at every level swings and misses for recruits at their level. Looking at our recruiting, in order to compete at the AAC level, Diaco needs to bat 1.000.

He isn't the prodigy of college that doesn't land a kid who isn't good enough for their level of competition.

He's going to have misses, but our misses aren't going to be players not good enough for AAC but good enough for the MAC, they're going to be players not good enough for the MAC, and not good enough for levels below the MAC, maybe even FCS.

That's scary. But any one of those kids could be a stud, and the one or two that inevitably will be studs, won't give a what I post about them on a message board. And they shouldn't, I don't know a thing about evaluating talent. But I'm going off the opinions of the people that do.
I agree with all of that. I wasn't calling you out specifically, just was the post that got me thinking so I quoted it. I just don't think its that we aren't targeting the right players. I think it's that the players we all wanna see here that we target, aren't interested in coming here. That is entirely on Diaco. However, since the school seems to want to keep him for another year, for whatever god forsaken reason, we are going to hope and pray some of these players he recruits this time pan out. This is where coaching needs to change and improve. If we are going to be stuck recruiting kids with lesser offers, then the staff needs to figure out how the hell to coach or new assistants should be brought in along with the OC

Reaction Score
Recruiting SWAC to MAC level talent in the AAC and expecting to beat our "peers" .. With a used car salesman at the helm. Everything is fine.
Yea...That Western Michigan talent will get you nowhere.

Reaction Score
I agree with all of that. I wasn't calling you out specifically, just was the post that got me thinking so I quoted it. I just don't think its that we aren't targeting the right players. I think it's that the players we all wanna see here that we target, aren't interested in coming here. That is entirely on Diaco. However, since the school seems to want to keep him for another year, for whatever god forsaken reason, we are going to hope and pray some of these players he recruits this time pan out. This is where coaching needs to change and improve. If we are going to be stuck recruiting kids with lesser offers, then the staff needs to figure out how the hell to coach or new assistants should be brought in along with the OC
If they play like they did this year you will see half a season for diaco. I really hope they do turn things around I have been seeing uconn since fcs days

Reaction Score
Yea...That Western Michigan talent will get you nowhere.
Which recruits had offers from WMU?

WMU led the MAC in recruiting three straight years and landed numerous three star recruits.

The rest of the MAC isn't recruiting at that level and it's obvious on the field.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And with that, he went 2-10 and talked about a "full rebuild", with exhibition games and all. He sucks so hard...

...so hard...
This post... is both awesome and depressing. I want to grab Diaco by the scruff of the neck and point to the post saying "look, look what you've done."

Reaction Score
I don't know what will happen next year hoping it's a good season

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
We are barely able to recruit at a D1 level. We have taken several steps back as our conference status was demoted and we've hired two dumpster fires. There is no way for recruiting to improve (particularly our areas of critical need - OL and QB) until our performance improves. Without an exciting offense and aggressive defense we have nothing to offer above competing schools and will be stuck in the wilderness indefinitely.

I think that about covers it.
What exactly do have against dumpster fires that you should treat them with such disrespect?

Reaction Score
Diaco would be wise to remember the words of Bear Bryant.
"There are just three things I'd ever say:
If anything goes bad, then I did it.
If anything goes semi-good, then we did it
If anything goes real good, then you did it.
That's what it takes to get people to win football games for you.
That, and big, strong, fast, smart players."

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Diaco would be wise to remember the words of Bear Bryant.
"There are just three things I'd ever say:
If anything goes bad, then I did it.
If anything goes semi-good, then we did it
If anything goes real good, then you did it.
That's what it takes to get people to win football games for you.
That, and big, strong, fast, smart players."
The only thing Diaco has in common with Bear is the word "ant."

Reaction Score
Two thoughts.

I love when posters claim people have "agendas". If wanting us to win games is an agenda, then I'm guilty.

They are the people who think its all sunshine and rainbows in UConn athletics still. They can't accept the fact that its not- and our athletic program as a whole (basketball included!) is on a slippery, slippery slope where if we aren't smart- could seriously cost....everything.

Reaction Score
@CTMike brought up a good idea in another thread. Let's use this to air gripes and bitch about Diaco especially regarding recruiting.

I think you guys have done this perfectly fine on the other threads haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01