Diaco cannot be serious | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco cannot be serious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not to mention half of our drives started inside the 10. With an offensive line that can't block anyone, a QB who turns the ball over, and terrible conditions, you'd be an idiot to try and pass backed up that far. I thought the drive that we got the ball back after the penalty on the punt we were too conservative. Besides that though, I agree with the strategy. Not getting fooled by some garbage time TD.

Overall, the strategy wasn't bad, but you have to give yourself more of a chance than to hope the other team coughs it up like they did at the end of the first half. We were 2-6 passing prior to the last drive. On national TV, that was embarrasing. That was a clunker of a coaching performance no two ways about it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
How do you get the defense to play prevent defense in the 3rd quarter?

By backing at least 3 of the 10 guys they had within 3 yards of the LOS with simple quick hooks, slants and a bit of play action. No deep routes. Just quick and easy 3 step drop routes. I'm not saying we had to throw the ball every down. But Chr1st, a few pre-snap reads were just dying for playaction.

Reaction Score
Hey, just telegraph that you are passing by lining up in the shotgun when you're passing. You have to try to get something going. Tonight was frustrating to say nothing of the first quarter fumble which you just shook your god damn head at.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
By backing at least 3 of the 10 guys they had within 3 yards of the LOS with simple quick hooks, slants and a bit of play action. No deep routes. Just quick and easy 3 step drop routes. I'm not saying we had to throw the ball every down. But Chr1st, a few pre-snap reads were just dying for playaction.

I know. But the field position was just terrible all game long. Just terrible.

Reaction Score
Not to mention half of our drives started inside the 10. With an offensive line that can't block anyone, a QB who turns the ball over, and terrible conditions, you'd be an idiot to try and pass backed up that far. I thought the drive that we got the ball back after the penalty on the punt we were too conservative. Besides that though, I agree with the strategy. Not getting fooled by some garbage time TD.
We might as well have punted on first down if we were just gonna run our RBs into the backs of the OL 3 times. And yes we started all our drives inside the 10...so pass the damn ball. Was Diaco hoping for 50 2 yard rushes?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I know. But the field position was just terrible all game long. Just terrible.

Yes, field position was tough. And I completely understand that our OL is a disaster. In addition to Whitmer's strip sack on our first series, the line had multiple false start penalties in a stadium that had less people in it than are in the Rent to watch pre-game warmups. I'm just frustrated because there was absolutely zero attempt to at least try something different when it became completely evident to everyone watching that USF was keying in on the run (and we kept running into their walls). We weren't going to run the football with 9 guys in green lined up within 2 yards of the LOS. I think you have to at least try to throw if nothing else than to back their guys up a yard or so.

Reaction Score
We might as well have punted on first down if we were just gonna run our RBs into the backs of the OL 3 times. And yes we started all our drives inside the 10...so pass the damn ball. Was Diaco hoping for 50 2 yard rushes?

He was hoping to get some breathing room, maybe put them in position to try and get more aggressive, and at least try and flip the field position. He was hoping to avoid a turnover in our own redzone, a sack, holding penalties, false starts, all that killed us all game, and all that would have killed us at that part of the field.

Reaction Score
He was hoping to get some breathing room, maybe put them in position to try and get more aggressive, and at least try and flip the field position. He was hoping to avoid a turnover in our own redzone, a sack, holding penalties, false starts, all that killed us all game, and all that would have killed us at that part of the field.
Hard to flip field position without moving the ball past your goal line.

Reaction Score
Hard to flip field position without moving the ball past your goal line.

And it's hard to pass the ball when your offensive line can't even attempt to stop a 3 man rush. But yea, lets try it when we are backed up against our own goalline and going to be facing a lot more than a 3 man rush.

Reaction Score
How do you get the defense to play prevent defense in the 3rd quarter?
Clearly the short passes to the touchlines where not there in the 3rd quarter, but on the other hand, the TD from CW to Davis was made through what looked like some good coverage. As good as you would see in the 3rd quarter, IMO. We did not try them.

Reaction Score
The only discription / thought/ feeling I have on this game is poo. Straight dirty, stinky poo.

Reaction Score
Agreed with everything written on here. Why they didn't pass with quick outs to wr or screen passes is beyond me. Play calling was a joke got to play to win not lose!

Reaction Score
I understand the conservative play calling when we were backed up inside the 10.

But the 3 runs and punt strategy on the rest of the field was mind boggling. It's like he wasn't even trying to win the game. There was no way we were gonna sustain a drive with just running the ball every play.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You would think we would run an end-around or a screen with Foxx or Newsome...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I started to drink in the 3rd quarter when I saw this graphic:

1st UConn drive...punt
2nd UConn drive...punt
24th UConn drive...punt.

Reaction Score

We lost anyway. How can you support a losing strategy which relies on our running game which is last in the country and has been horrible for the last 2.5 years. Not saying we win throwing the ball, but when everyone is in the box, we have no chance, none.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Diaco embarrassed himself tonight. and maybe he embarrassed the school. The football team is likely a national punchline now. I mean if Danny Kanell is mocking you...

Kannell called our offensive line, "horrifyingly bad". Probably one of the lowest moments since a Rod what's his name called Edsall's offense "worse than a high school offense".

I hope we aren't on national tv again. It's utterly embarrassing and it's not going to get much better this season.

Reaction Score
this is part of the process
we are in development stage
we saw a lot of progress out there
we are at level 100 right now as a team
this is only the second quarter of the season
were going to evaluate the OL and scale things back next game
our defense played great- USF only scored 3 points in the last 3 quarters
were going to minimize false starts

this is exactly what diaco is going to say and I'm sick of the rhetoric! it's the same story every week and it's clearly not working!

Reaction Score
Is it just me or is Diaco's rhetoric very old already...You can't preach and try to generate excitement for the program and have a game plan that was so epically bad. He lacks any ability to just have a straight talk.

Announcers last night on ESPN were just pounding us.

Reaction Score
If there was no back up QB then probably the announcers were right and Diaco was protecting both Whitmer and Chandler.

Reaction Score
Play calling was horrible. Needed to mix it up more to keep the defense guessing but USF was loading up the box. There wasn't much wind w the rain so why not throw some HB/WR screens or some slants or short outs. I double guessing why I went to go see the game.

Reaction Score
We can't stop losing until we start winning.
Yeah well, we can't start winning until until you try and get the ball into your best playmaker's hands like Geremy Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom