Dham off the ball | The Boneyard

Dham off the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's another thread about Adams starting. I think pretty much all of agree that Adams is the future PG. As far as this year is concerned, I'm a believer that DHam needs to learn to play off the ball better. He does it ok, but it's not his strength. Someone in the OSU chat said he has a "street ball" game. Which means he doesn't do much when the ball is not in his hands. I think that's a pretty accurate statement. For this team to really thrive I think Dham needs to be in the corners more. Run through screens more. Do more of the things Ray and Rip did. Probably more of what Rip did because Rip also had a good handle. Spend less time dominating the ball. I think we will have some proper disagreement with that last statement.

Reaction Score
I do think seeing some improvement in DHam off the ball would be nice, but he is what he is. He's best with the ball in his hands. He's got an NBA type game. He just needs to develop and become a tad more versatile. I don't think he should change all that much and not do what he does best. What do others think?

Reaction Score
I think we will have some proper disagreement with that last statement.
I think he should spend less time dominating the ball IF and WHEN somebody else can fill that role and get him the ball. I'd rather have him dominating the ball than working for a pass that never comes. Gibbs is not strong enough with the dribble or penetration. Adams may fill that role.
I'm pretty confident, however, that Marcus Williams is not walking through that door.

Reaction Score
I like to see him attack from the sides more. He's always attacking the teeth of the D. He's a fine player, but that's not easy to do. You need really fabulous speed to do what he's trying to do.

Reaction Score
I think he should spend less time dominating the ball IF and WHEN somebody else can fill that role and get him the ball. I'd rather have him dominating the ball than working for a pass that never comes. Gibbs is not strong enough with the dribble or penetration. Adams may fill that role.
I'm pretty confident, however, that Marcus Williams is not walking through that door.
That's sorta why I started with a statement about Adams. If Adams can become the man at point Dham can move to more of a secondary ball handler. It's two part. Adams need to mature into lead PG and Dham needs to learn to play off the ball better. At that point we will be able to compete with almost everyone. Gibbs needs to find his role as well. It's a lot to happen in 1 year, but it may just happen. Everyone else seems to be doing what they should be doing.

Reaction Score
DHam wasn't really good today, they took him out and others stepped up which is a good sign. They did a lot less throwing it around the top and instead drove the lane and the baseline to create. Liked most of what I saw today from the offense. minus the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
DHam wasn't really good today, they took him out and others stepped up which is a good sign. They did a lot less throwing it around the top and instead drove the lane and the baseline to create. Liked most of what I saw today from the offense. minus the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half.

I think they took him out because we had a huge lead and he wouldn't pick up his second. Purvis already had two so they didn't want to risk DHam's second with a 15-point lead. Just a guess. Before that he was playing really well, I thought. Was expecting a 20 and 10 type of day.

Reaction Score
I think they took him out because we had a huge lead and he wouldn't pick up his second. Purvis already had two so they didn't want to risk DHam's second with a 15-point lead. Just a guess. Before that he was playing really well, I thought. Was expecting a 20 and 10 type of day.

I'm sorry I meant OSU took him out of driving to the lane, converged with 1 or 2 more guys to force the ball out of his hands. But you are spot on as to why the staff decided to play it safe.

Reaction Score
Do more of the things Ray and Rip did. Probably more of what Rip did because Rip also had a good handle.
This is bizarre on a couple of levels. First because both Ray and Rip were world class at one specific thing: knowing exactly how to come off a screen ready to catch and shoot. They're two of the best who've ever done it in the history of the game.

And right now, that's literally the weakest part of Hamilton's game. His footwork is terrible when he comes off of screens and his instinct is always to stop and reassess the floor. So while we may wish he had more of Ray or Rip to his game, saying he needs to do it right now is suicide. It's akin to demanding that Gibbs start locking down opposing point guards the way Ricky used to.

The second level on which it's bizarre is that your phrasing seems to imply that Rip was a better handler/facilitator than Ray, which is also way, way off. Ray was better with the ball in his hands both in college and in the NBA.

Reaction Score
This is bizarre on a couple of levels. First because both Ray and Rip were world class at one specific thing: knowing exactly how to come off a screen ready to catch and shoot. They're two of the best who've ever done it in the history of the game.

And right now, that's literally the weakest part of Hamilton's game. His footwork is terrible when he comes off of screens and his instinct is always to stop and reassess the floor. So while we may wish he had more of Ray or Rip to his game, saying he needs to do it right now is suicide. It's akin to demanding that Gibbs start locking down opposing point guards the way Ricky used to.

The second level on which it's bizarre is that your phrasing seems to imply that Rip was a better handler/facilitator than Ray, which is also way, way off. Ray was better with the ball in his hands both in college and in the NBA.
Yes, i think Dham needs to work on these skills. As you said, it's the weekest part of his game. It would help both the team and Dham. And yes, i think Rip was a better ball handler than Ray while at UCONN.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Hamilton is really good at some things, and this seems to be arguing he should stop doing those things and do other things he's less good at. Even though we already have people who do those things. I can think of better ways to improve our team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DHam is not Ray - only a few chosen can even come close to Ray
DHam is not Rip - Rip did things better than DHam and DHam does some things better than Rip
Could DHam be better at moving without the ball? Hell yes BUT the whole team could be better in that area
DHam is a stud and was doing what he was doing with the ball because nobody emerged as a true PG
Maybe if JA continues to step up, DHam can work on that game

Reaction Score
If JA can bring what KAE brought then maybe year 3 DHam can bring what year 3 Rip brought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom