DHam at the point? | The Boneyard

DHam at the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know alot will disagree with me on my opinion, but I think this could be a potentially good idea. I'll start off with what people may say are negatives to this.

• Although he has gotten better at both his handle and turnovers still leave a bit to be desired. But then again, some people are calling for Adams to be the starter and he has had a problem with both thus far as well.
•Smaller guards can get under him a la Boat and Shabazz on the Harrisons
•Takes away from him being the guy in the middle in the small ball lineup

Now some positives
•I think we can all agree he is the best passer on the team by a good margin
•I personally trust him the most with the ball in his hands to pick the right decision
•Allows Gibbs to play off the ball so he can get open for threes rather than stay at the top

I'm not saying this should be the permanent position for him by any stretch, but throwing him up top for some time just like he is put at the 4 in the small ball lineup offers a variety of looks not many teams can adjust to.The more unpredictable the better for me.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He's been playing point forward most of the time. Not as much this game, but in bigger games he's handeld the ball most frequently I believe

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I think one of the main problems of this team's stagnant offense has been because Hamilton has been the "point" for such long stretches. his play making ability is great but its simply not as effective as having a true point guard taking those duties. He is turnover prone, and watching him 6 games now his moves are pretty repetitive (catch at the 3 point line, never shoot always pump and nearly travel, drive to ft line, spin and either pass inside or a rare kick out). I think this teams biggest issue offensively is that there is not guard penetration into the D followed by kick outs to open shooters. We need to get our guys open looks.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Hamilton at the point serves what purpose? Taking PT away from Adams? Giving more playing time to Omar?
The offensive stagnates because when the ball swings to Purvis, he has to try to make a play, usually a charge into the lane where he faces triple teams. Against the Sacred Hearts of the world it may be a good thing against the Cuses it is a bad thing.
Personally, I would prefer Ollie bench anyone anytime he sees that spin move in the lane when the lane is crowded with defenders.
Someone on the Boneyard with patience and technical skills should break down the video's to see how many times these spin moves in the lane filled with defenders lead to positive results.

Reaction Score
He had 3 glaring moments he missed wide open shooters alone at the 3 point line. While he obviously does great things it's all forward or horizontal - he needs to add a kick "BACK" to his assist arsenal because he misses our good shooters wide open because at this point he has brought 1-2 other defenders into he middle. While he's been really good this is missing.

PG though, no. One with what he's doing.

Reaction Score
I would MUCH rather DHam be a cutter esp at foul line and pass from there in the halfcourt set. Still a lot of standing around and no Shabazz or Boat to bail us out of bad possessions.

He is much improved but would rather see him as a cutter/facilitator than standing 30 feet from the bucket.

Reaction Score
Oh help me for saying this and forgive me hoops Gods. They can learn from the women's team a little. They drive and kick the ball back to shooters on the top of the circle as well as high wing area better than anyone - I admit it. We need to do this more to get more open looks for Rodney and Sterling who teams know can shoot it 40% plus

Did I just say that?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Oh help me for saying this and forgive me hoops Gods. They can learn from the women's team a little. They drive and kick the ball back to shooters on the top of the circle as well as high wing area better than anyone - I admit it. We need to do this more to get more open looks for Rodney and Sterling who teams know can shoot it 40% plus

Did I just say that?

This will create a storm... Men's and Women's basketball has essentially zero similarities other then they both shoot on a 10 foot hoop.

Reaction Score
DHam's passing is cool, I would much rather prefer that he start being more aggressive with his own scoring and shooting when open. I'm already envisioning losing my mind in MSG at the sight of DHam trying to force passes at the rim through MD's bigs.

Reaction Score

Did I just say that?

I agree 100% that this team needs to drive and kick the ball out to open shooters far more. Gibbs and Cassell would both look much better if that was happening with greater frequency.

Reaction Score
Wow, I had to read your post 3 times before I was sure you said what you said.
But, you are absolutely right. We need to move the ball much better and much quicker to give our outside shooters better looks. The drive and kick should get us better looks. Now if we can only shoot it as well as Stewie, it would work.

Just messing with you, Mau. :D

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
We have won 5 games thus far based purely on superior talent and size. Our guys don't move the ball well as a team and really like going one on one for difficult shots, especially at the rim.

Reaction Score
Dham needs to let it rip more, shoot more open threes. pretty much anytime he pump fakes and drives with his head down he had an open jumper. The kid was a really good shooter in hs and i have no clue what happened.

Reaction Score
We have won 5 games thus far based purely on superior talent and size. Our guys don't move the ball well as a team and really like going one on one for difficult shots, especially at the rim.

Eh, I can't really agree with this, I've only been able to see parts of the last 3 games, but I thought through the first 4 games they were sharing the ball quite a bit, they really had no choice against UNH and Furman as they got zoned up exclusively and they carved both up offensively(weak comp, but stil). If anything, I thought they overpassed the ball from what I saw against Syracuse. Guys were getting to good spots and then either forcing another pass or a kickout, DHam and Purvis being the two most guilty parties. From what I saw last night I did see alot of one on one drives tho.

Reaction Score
Dham runs a the break very well, but he's still not a PG. I would rather see him work on his shooting and playing off the ball. Run the baseline. Run through screens. He doesn't do that a lot. I think partly because he's not the greatest shooter, but he needs to work on those things. It will help him at the next level.

Reaction Score
I can handle seeing DHam doing what he does, but would like to see him take the shot more often. Also, Jalen should get a bit more time on the floor freeing up Gibbs to be the shooting guard. Rodney still doesn't see a shot he isn't willing to take, and he often forgets there are four other guys on his team. Maybe he should be the Rasheed guy coming off the bench, but not necessarily taking just threes but certainly changing the tempo of the offense.

Eventually, KO will make the right decision. The man knows what he is doing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Did I just say that?

There nothing wrong with pointing out a truth. Hard to argue that Geno's kids don't play a good brand of basketball.

The men have enough spot up shooters, but they're not using them. It's not even a hard thing to do.

Reaction Score
I can handle seeing DHam doing what he does, but would like to see him take the shot more often. Also, Jalen should get a bit more time on the floor freeing up Gibbs to be the shooting guard. Rodney still doesn't see a shot he isn't willing to take, and he often forgets there are four other guys on his team. Maybe he should be the Rasheed guy coming off the bench, but not necessarily taking just threes but certainly changing the tempo of the offense.

Eventually, KO will make the right decision. The man knows what he is doing.
Rodney is pretty much the only one who has consistently taken the ball to the rim, we all want to see him finish more but he and Dham are the ones who should be the first names in the starting 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom