DH quote from 1962 | The Boneyard

DH quote from 1962

Reaction Score
I think Hurley will win here, probably win big over time.

But this approach to young players is insane to me in the year of our lord 2021, especially given the track record of Hurley overplaying older guys(Yakwe, Cobb, Alterique, BAdams, etc) and the team sucking, over featuring much better young guys (Whaley, Bouknight), who make a major impact and change the entire trajectory/upside of the team the moment they get big run. Self awareness may be an issue here...

Screenshot_20211220-222713.png

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I’m holding onto the thought that if we had no injuries, we would currently be undefeated. We’ll see if that holds true once Sanogo is back.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s even wrong. He just overrates some of his older players. Experience wins in NCAA basketball. It makes up for talent, but not when the gap is a chasm. He desperately wants certain guys to be something they aren’t.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he’s even wrong. He just overrates some of his older players. Experience wins in NCAA basketball. It makes up for talent, but not when the gap is a chasm. He desperately wants certain guys to be something they aren’t.
It works when you have a bunch of great classes in a row and guys are good enough to leave after their sophomore and junior years. That means your highly recruited freshmen are playing significant time. It doesn't work when you have bad seniors and juniors playing a bunch and highly ranked freshmen riding pine all season. I'm also worried it may have some impact on recruiting/player retention.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
We’ve seen Polley win player of the week honors but that isn’t the player he really is. Hurley seems to think otherwise.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I’m holding onto the thought that if we had no injuries, we would currently be undefeated. We’ll see if that holds true once Sanogo is back.
We were pretty close to full strength for Michigan State and I don’t think we were going to beat Baylor.

We’d likely be the #1 team in the country if we were undefeated right now with wins over Auburn, Michigan State, Baylor, @West Virginia and Providence LMAO. No shot

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The refrain that we’ve only lost because of injuries is so weak and off the mark. We might as well blame the refs too. And Covid. Puhlease.

Excuses are a losers lament. Our coach does not know how to make adjustments. That’s the concern here. Not injuries. Auburn had injuries. As did VCU. St Bonnie was without their best player by far.

Reaction Score
Surprising to see him say minute distribution is the easiest part of his job. Getting rotations down is something Hurley has struggled with a lot of times in my opinion. I always think of Hurley as a self aware guy who tries to improve himself but I think he’s missing the mark on this line of thinking. He’s been too slow adapting rotations in game and over time.

Reaction Score
Hurley did say theres a chance we see Samson vs Marquette because the game won’t be as physical. Hopefully he plays and makes the most of this opportunity.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley will win here, probably win big over time.

But this approach to young players is insane to me in the year of our lord 2021, especially given the track record of Hurley overplaying older guys(Yakwe, Cobb, Alterique, BAdams, etc) and the team sucking, over featuring much better young guys (Whaley, Bouknight), who make a major impact and change the entire trajectory/upside of the team the moment they get big run. Self awareness may be an issue here...

View attachment 71986
I think the lesson is, if the team struggles the board will get it's wish. Gaff (and others) will be benched. Until we really tank, that will not happen.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Hurley did say theres a chance we see Samson vs Marquette because the game won’t be as physical. Hopefully he plays and makes the most of this opportunity.
That is sending a message in public that Samson can't compete against physical teams. How does that help Samson? That sounds like shaming. How does Polley look against physical teams and he has been here forever?

Reaction Score
People have posted comments that DH is used to programs like Wagner and URI. There is a happy place between those programs and programs like Kentucky who chase one and dones. UCONN is that place. You recruited the kids, play them.

I hope they are as good as advertised.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Surprising to see him say minute distribution is the easiest part of his job. Getting rotations down is something Hurley has struggled with a lot of times in my opinion. I always think of Hurley as a self aware guy who tries to improve himself but I think he’s missing the mark on this line of thinking. He’s been too slow adapting rotations in game and over time.
On the other hand, it sure seems like either he or the horde are paying attention to fan complaints on The Boneyard and/or Twitter. That’s a good thing.

Reaction Score
While I agree about limiting minutes from some guys, especially Polley, who in here goes to practice and watches? I want to see the young guys play too, more so Diggins because that is a spot lacking, but he has to be getting torched in practice.

Reaction Score
Is there a joke here? Hurley wasn't born until 1973.
They are saying his attitude of never playing freshmen is an attitude from the 60s, when they had specific, separate freshman teams.

Of course, that ignores Hawkins playing decent minutes from the jump this year.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm actually surprised he chose to speak those words, and I'll never understand why our freshmen can't produce when we've been watching freshmen produce for our entire lives. Some have even won national championships

Does he have some complex Bill Belichick like system that newbies struggle with?

PS: I don't believe the freshmen could possibly play worse than Polly & Gaffney. Getting beat on defense, getting beat on the boards, missing shots and turning the ball over. Damn, even I could do that.

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play....

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yet UConn has one thing - DEPTH - don't care if you use it but it makes pretty headlines and talking points - it's actually window dressing for, "I can recruit high level kids but I am afraid to use them"
Absurd on so many levels

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
While I agree about limiting minutes from some guys, especially Polley, who in here goes to practice and watches? I want to see the young guys play too, more so Diggins because that is a spot lacking, but he has to be getting torched in practice.
If he was getting "torched" in practice, firstly, who is torching him and secondly. if so, we would have heard about it by now

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom