DH quote from 1962 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DH quote from 1962

Reaction Score
Cole-mid major transfer
Martin- mid major transfer
Whaley- Ollie recruit
Polly- Ollie

While Cole,Whaley and Martin are nice players they are all at the end of there college career. And are not guys who will get you past the first weekend. It is what it is they are pieces. They are not big time players. They are nice players on a team with a stud or two. Maybe to Hurley they are better than pretty much anyone he has had but we are not at URI in the A10.

Polley is a whole other deal. He is more streaky than a 90yo mans underpants. If he doesn’t have it screw him to the bench. And he only has it once every 5 or 6 games. If he isn’t drilling 3’s he bring nothing to the table.

These are good guys and fight like hell but they are limited in skills. Not one of them would start on 2014. Not one.

In hindsight they should have all been let go and solidified the future by bringing in young guys and letting them learn on the way. These 4 guys are band aides. They will win enough games to make it interesting but in the big picture retarding the program as temporary fixes. Hurley is running with this plan because he fears a young inexperienced team will loose a bunch of games and he is too competitive to deal with that. Also he is worried the fan base will freak and be calling for his head.

These are my thoughts and I am sure most will hammer me for my opinion but this season feels like we are treading water not progressing to the future.

Also one last thing these next five games could go really sideways for us if everything does not go right. If that happens will Hurley have the balls to burn it down and let the young guys get the experience they will need for next year????

Lets see in 5 games. I pray we go 4-1 not 1-4

Reaction Score
Maybe to Hurley they are better than pretty much anyone he has had but we are not at URI in the A10.

Posting dumb statements like this basically invalidates your entire post. Hurley has helped put multiple guys in the NBA starting as a HS coach in NJ and continuing college. Maybe you think he doesn't remember coaching James Bouknight last year. He played at Seton Hall, you think you know more about the talent needed to compete in the Big East?

We're undefeated and a top 20 team with our starting 5 in tact, but let's throw away the entire season and start a new rebuild.

Reaction Score
If he was getting "torched" in practice, firstly, who is torching him and secondly. if so, we would have heard about it by now
Well there’s only two guys ahead of him, so Cole and Gaffney, Floyd possibly as well.

That’s what I’m thinking, I’m wondering if he is or not. Who’s plugged into practice, because if he isn’t I am in the same boat as everyone here in that he needs to see the court

Reaction Score
Posting dumb statements like this basically invalidates your entire post. Hurley has helped put multiple guys in the NBA starting as a HS coach in NJ and continuing college. Maybe you think he doesn't remember coaching James Bouknight last year. He played at Seton Hall, you think you know more about the talent needed to compete in the Big East?

We're undefeated and a top 20 team with our starting 5 in tact, but let's throw away the entire season and start a new rebuild.
If UConn was undefeated they would be #1 or #2 in the country, they're nowhere near being undefeated or #1/#2.

Reaction Score

How many losses with this “older” group do ya need to change your opinion ?

Reaction Score
Cole-mid major transfer
Whaley- Ollie recruit
Polly- Ollie

While Cole,Whaley and Martin are nice players they are all at the end of there college career. And are not guys who will get you past the first weekend. It is what it is they are pieces. They are not big time players. They are nice players on a team with a stud or two. Maybe to Hurley they are better than pretty much anyone he has had but we are not at URI in the A10.

Polley is a whole other deal. He is more streaky than a 90yo mans underpants. If he doesn’t have it screw him to the bench. And he only has it once every 5 or 6 games. If he isn’t drilling 3’s he bring nothing to the table.

These are good guys and fight like hell but they are limited in skills. Not one of them would start on 2014. Not one.

In hindsight they should have all been let go and solidified the future by bringing in young guys and letting them learn on the way. These 4 guys are band aides. They will win enough games to make it interesting but in the big picture retarding the program as temporary fixes. Hurley is running with this plan because he fears a young inexperienced team will loose a bunch of games and he is too competitive to deal with that. Also he is worried the fan base will freak and be calling for his head.

These are my thoughts and I am sure most will hammer me for my opinion but this season feels like we are treading water not progressing to the future.

Also one last thing these next five games could go really sideways for us if everything does not go right. If that happens will Hurley have the balls to burn it down and let the young guys get the experience they will need for next year????

Whaley 100% Starts in 2014. A massive upgrade over phil nolan, cmon now

Reaction Score
Cole-mid major transfer
Whaley- Ollie recruit
Polly- Ollie

Great post. I love Whaley and have changed my tune on Cole but they are complementary pieces. If Cole and Whaley are your top options, you're losing in the first weekend. Let Hawkins become one of the main scorers and play Johnson (Hurley has said he'll be on the wall someday) and Diggins is a natural point. JG could come back until he's 35 and he won't be a natural point. Our offense sucks we need to quit doing the same thing expecting a different result. Insanity.

Bravo to the original poster on the thread title. Total batsh#t crazy that freshman shouldn't play over some vets that couldn't be playing worse. We're UConn, we don't play for NCAA Berths but deep runs.

*Calhoun missed the tournament every couple years I didn't care, it was part of the long game. Feels like Hurley is big time playing the short game. * That's a recipe for mediocrity.

Reaction Score
A lot more than a 9-3 record with 3 close losses to borderline top 25 teams
Ok how bout 10-6 ? Butler is the only one coming in the next 4 that could be a easy one.
1-4 conference start?

And that Providence game was not nearly as close as score. They bricked free throws and were in control almost all game.

Reaction Score
Rarely do recruits out of the top 20 make huge splashes their freshman year. And even more rare for it to happen at UConn where we don't turn freshman over every season and hence don't have plenty of playing time for them. Hawkins has gotten a fair amount of time since being off injury and still can't hit his shot consistently and makes freshman mistakes. He will come along this season, but this is normal trajectory. I have not seen much out of Diggins or Samson yet and rarely do 50-100 recruits get a lot of time. This idea that the freshmen should save us this season is ridiculous. It only happens at teams like Kentucky and Duke where they get a group of lottery picks who have all the time in the world to develop. Its no wonder those teams always get walloped early in the season then look like NBA teams by the end of the year. Stop drinking this ridiculous kool-aid. If we give Diggins and Samson all the time, we are playing for two years down the road.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This idea that the freshman should save us is ridiculous.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the freshmen would save us.

Hawkins is a different case because he has had more time than most and unfortunately has not shown particularly well since the Auburn game. Personally I would prefer to see a lot more of Polley's minutes go to him because I think it's a better investment, but neither one of them is setting the world on fire and I suspect that both will continue to get their chances to see if either one can regain a hot hand.

Johnson has gotten some play with Adama and Tyrese out, but we still have Whaley and Akok and now Tyrese is back and maybe some limited minutes from Adama, so there are simply not a lot of minutes there.

Diggins seems to be the biggest bone of contention because we have such a glaring lack of ball handlers and he was advertised as a pure point guard, which we desperately need, and Gaffney has not developed as anyone had hoped. I guess we have to conclude that Gaffney beats Diggins in practice and that Diggins's defense is seriously lacking.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the freshmen would save us.

Hawkins is a different case because he has had more time than most and unfortunately has not shown particularly well since the Auburn game. Personally I would prefer to see a lot more of Polley's minutes go to him because I think it's a better investment, but neither one of them is setting the world on fire and I suspect that both will continue to get their chances to see if either one can regain a hot hand.

Johnson has gotten some play with Adama and Tyrese out, but we still have Whaley and Akok and now Tyrese is back and maybe some limited minutes from Adama, so there are simply not a lot of minutes there.

Diggins seems to be the biggest bone of contention because we have such a glaring lack of ball handlers and he was advertised as a pure point guard, which we desperately need, and Gaffney has not developed as anyone had hoped. I guess we have to conclude that Gaffney beats Diggins in practice and that Diggins's defense is seriously lacking.
I've read a number of posts that have said we should be much better because we have a top 10 class. Hawkins is the only one I see as potentially greatly impactful. We haven't been able to extend leads enough to allow time for non-5 star recruits to work out a lot of mistakes without potentially costing us the games. Hawkins almost cost us one game. Maybe the other two can add valuable time later in the season, but they're not going to make significant contributions without working through a lot of mistakes and practice, of which we have not been able to afford.

Reaction Score
Even Hunter Sallis only averages 15 mins a game. He's no Jalen Suggs. We don't have a Jalen Suggs. So we have to develop what we have.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm ready to let Hawk start at the 2 as I think he would settle into the game better than coming off the bench. Other than that., I'm with Hurley on this one. That said, he has to reign in guy when they are laying bricks at that rate, even if for just a couple minutes. The PC game was lost under 4 in the first half, there is really no downside to playing a freshman for 2 minutes just to shake things up.

If they aren't ready for that, then that is on Dan.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm ready to let Hawk start at the 2 as I think he would settle into the game better than coming off the bench. Other than that., I'm with Hurley on this one. That said, he has to reign in guy when they are laying bricks at that rate, even if for just a couple minutes. The PC game was lost under 4 in the first half, there is really no downside to playing a freshman for 2 minutes just to shake things up.

So you have AJAx coming off the bench then?

Reaction Score
They are saying his attitude of never playing freshmen is an attitude from the 60s, when they had specific, separate freshman teams.

Of course, that ignores Hawkins playing decent minutes from the jump this year.
And Bouk, and pre-injury Akok, and Sanogo...

Reaction Score

I actually like Hawkins coming off the bench, he hasn't really done it consistently yet but he can come in and hunt his shots. I think he can really thrive in that role for now, not that starting him wouldn't also work. Of course Hurley will have to keep him in the game once he gets hot too, which is a whole different issue

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If Tyler Olander can start as a freshman in a National Championship game and Neils Giffey get 24 min off the bench, Samson Johnson and Rashool Diggins can play some minutes as freshmen in a December game.

Just saying… It’s time. Give the kids some run.

Reaction Score
If Tyler Olander can start as a freshman in a National Championship game and Neils Giffey get 24 min off the bench, Samson Johnson and Rashool Diggins can play some minutes as freshmen in a December game.

I mean he played 7 minutes in that game. I agree Diggins could get 7 minutes.

Reaction Score
Rarely do recruits out of the top 20 make huge splashes their freshman year. And even more rare for it to happen at UConn where we don't turn freshman over every season and hence don't have plenty of playing time for them. Hawkins has gotten a fair amount of time since being off injury and still can't hit his shot consistently and makes freshman mistakes. He will come along this season, but this is normal trajectory. I have not seen much out of Diggins or Samson yet and rarely do 50-100 recruits get a lot of time. This idea that the freshmen should save us this season is ridiculous. It only happens at teams like Kentucky and Duke where they get a group of lottery picks who have all the time in the world to develop. Its no wonder those teams always get walloped early in the season then look like NBA teams by the end of the year. Stop drinking this ridiculous kool-aid. If we give Diggins and Samson all the time, we are playing for two years down the road.
Marquette started 4 freshmen. They did ok.

Reaction Score
Marquette started 4 freshmen. They did ok.
I remember when everyone was screaming for Gaffney to start over AG as if he was the next leader of the team. How's that working out? Shaka is in day one of a complete rebuild. Are we playing for a sweet 16 run this year or in 2 years?

Reaction Score
How many losses with this “older” group do ya need to change your opinion ?
How many beers do you need to think Hurley is naïve about the talent required to compete in the Big East?

Reaction Score

Look at the roster from that team.

I'm okay with Rahsool and Samson playing more minutes than they are. Using that team to make the point is really stupid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom