Dez asks P about play calling on 1st down | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dez asks P about play calling on 1st down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, we looked really exciting against Vandy, and ISU, and WMU and .......... we LOST!

I recognize some of you need something, anything to complain about. And I was one who felt the NCState game was so bad that we should change our cheer to U-C-N-N, but we just played a game on the road, w/o our best OL and DB, many playing sick, lost our DE 1/2 way thru, passed for 68 yards and still won. I saw several positive steps from this game. I'm sorry that I won't find the gray cloud that I am sure is up there somewhere.

Reaction Score
Not fair to characterize the legitimate complaints about playcalling to bitching for bitching's sake. The 'gray clouds' are the gray-haired guys calling the plays. I could care less about 'exciting' offense. Im not talking fun'n'gun. I am talking doing something different that what everyone in the stadium knows is coming. We've thrown to Ryan Griffen 6 times in three games, and one was the unnecessary trick play against UMass - a play I would have loved to see the past two weeks. Does anyone else think if we targeted the TEs more it would open other things up?

Reaction Score
i'm a positive & upbeat guy who sees the glass 1/2 full. they can't keep running mccombs between the tackles on 1st & 2nd down for little to no gain then expect whitmer to bail them out on 3rd & long every damn series. how do u expect him to develop into a decent qb when he's behind the 8 ball all the time.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I can only guess that there is some kind of tentative plan to gradually open the playbook as CW and the rest of the offense learn over the course of the season. I'm not going to claim it's a genius move to keep GDL's "wallpaper" off of tape, but right now it's out of necessity because the offense isn't ready. I know a lot of BYers are hoping to see marked improvement in the next two games but I wouldn't think we'll see anything more than baby steps until BE play opens up, unfortunately. Certainly, BL's observation that the WRs are just not getting separation does not bode well for those wishing for UConn to turn into Oklahoma on offense. If that remains the case, and CW is being coached to avoid INTs as a first priority, we might not see much improvement in that department. Though you would expect the MAC teams to have secondaries a step behind the ACC teams we just played, so maybe the WRs will have a bit more success in those games (I don't remember anything particular from last year's games against UB and WMU... also we had Johnny Youtube in those games)

Oh and good one gioff... UCNN, no O.

Reaction Score
Yes, we looked really exciting against Vandy, and ISU, and WMU and .......... we LOST!

I recognize some of you need something, anything to complain about. And I was one who felt the NCState game was so bad that we should change our cheer to U-C-N-N, but we just played a game on the road, w/o our best OL and DB, many playing sick, lost our DE 1/2 way thru, passed for 68 yards and still won. I saw several positive steps from this game. I'm sorry that I won't find the gray cloud that I am sure is up there somewhere.

Something or anything to complain about? 101st in rushing in NCAA and only use one 165 lb back who falls down before contact. One of only 3 schools in top 100 in NCAA in per game rushing yardage with under 3 ypc (fhcRE's team is one of others). A pickem vs WM, a 1-2 MAC team. And coach is pretty pleased with his offensive play calling and keeping ahead of the chains.
Had 12 possessions (not counting end of game) and were on 1st down: P+6, R+7, R+9, R+4, R-2, r+1, R+4, R+2, R+1, R+5, R+0, R+1 So I'm the defensive coordinator, think I might expect a run on 1st down. 5 possessions in 2nd half and all start with run and average gain is 1.6 yards.
Maryland had 12 possession and on 1st down were: P-Int, R0,r-3,r+2,r+3,r+12,r-2,r-3,r0,P0,r+6,r+3. So Maryland passed on 2 of 12 1st downs.
Here are teams that are 2 of 3 teams in fbs top 100 in rushing yardage per game of under 3 ypc and they play call like this. fhcRE out lost PP in this game. I'm pretty sure could scheme defense on 1st down if know other team will run 11/12ths of the time (and the pass is a flair to FB).
Uconn can not win games against BE teams with this play calling/schemes/personnel choices as shown in two ACC games. Defense will get worn down, other teams defense will go crazy with their LOS attacks, CW will be placed in difficult situations of many 3rds and plenty, wheels will come off.
How many offensive td's does Uconn need to score against WM? If its one I give us a good chance to win, if 2 it's pick em, is more will lose.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
1st grade football,shovel pass to the TE,mix it up, the offense is so vanilla,QB has a great arm that's being wasted,sometimes wonder if P hasn't lost alittle of his edge.

Reaction Score
1st grade football,shovel pass to the TE,mix it up, the offense is so vanilla,QB has a great arm that's being wasted,sometimes wonder if P hasn't lost alittle of his edge.
We've been winning games with basic football since we went FBS. Strong rushing, D and special teams. We've only had the chance so far for an elite passing O when Orlovsky was around. Other than that, we've had moments. The offense is for a QB's taking. Someone needs to step up and prove themselves to be elite. The Big East IS a good conference. Imagine if we had Cody Endres for the Fiesta Bowl. Not saying we would have won, but he was definitely a better passer. The rest of the team's success should entice top-rated QBs and WRs to play for us.

Reaction Score
Nationally, Temple is ranked 111 in total offense. We are ranked 115....four spots worse than Temple.

Reaction Score
As
Not exactly the answer I wanted to hear.

Dez: "If there were more diversity on first down, could that help? And help the struggling offense, period?

Of the Huskies' 16 possession Saturday, they ran on first down on 15 of them — except the first one of the game.

Coach P: "I think we've got a large number on the call sheet of first-down passes, there's no question about that," Pasqualoni said. "In this particular game, we just felt like we were going to try to stay ahead of the chains and try to avoid the early-down sack or the early-down blitz disruption, incomplete, second-and-10, that type of stuff. There was just so much going on on first down."… Linebackers Yawin Smallwood (14 tackles including 2 ½ sacks) and Sio Moore (seven tackles, 2 ½ sacks) along with special teams return man Nick Williams (58-yard punt return for a touchdown), were awarded game balls for their efforts."

Admittedly, I don't have the expertise on the game's innards that most on this board have. I have, however, watched enough football to, at least, suspect that I'm seeing a case of "Old-style Coaching Disease," also known as "We've-Got-a-World-Class-Defense-So-Offense-DON'T-F@#%-IT UP!!!!" Syndrome.

To me, it looked like PP found himself up by two-scores with twelve minutes to go in the half, and decided that the game now belonged to the defense. The problem with this type of thinking is that the occasional whims of the football gremlins can bite a coach in the ass.

The running TD MD scored on was the result of calling the absolute perfect play for the defense called by the UCONN coaching staff. It happens, especially to teams that play very aggressive (and don't change, please) defensive schemes. The second MD TD was the result of gremlin overload. Two receivers in the same place, (at least one was congratulated and screamed at for running the wrong pattern) a tipped ball caught after a UCONN defender was mugged. It's football. This stuff happens. The problem is that once an offense, in any sport, tries to shorten the game, it usually becomes difficult to change to normal mode.

Give UCONN credit. They answered by marching down the field and scoring a TD. CW made his best throws of the day. More to the point, he made his most important throws of the day. It looked so easy, I had to wonder why...........

As far as CW is concerned, and I'll probably get laughed at for this, I think he's going to be fine. I believe that, against MD, he did exactly what he was asked to do. He didn't lose the game. But, as stated, when he was needed, he performed. He's got a strong arm, that sometimes gets him into trouble, hits what he aims at and moves well within the pocket. I know the play ended in a fumble, but he really showed that he can be a weapon using his legs. When he made the cut towards the side line, my thoughts were where the hell did that come from. He's got some speed. He does have to understand that, no matter how fast he is, any time he runs laterally, the bad guys, if they are hustling, are going to catch up; especially at the D1 level.

I hate to say it, but PP will probably play the same way all year. "Offense don't lose, defense, win the game." He's not the first coach to play that way.

Reaction Score
Imagine if we had Cody Endres for the Fiesta Bowl.

Would he have played WR? Because the interceptions in that game were all off drops by our wide receivers. Frazer played one of his better games and had nothing to do with giving up the 48 points. Even the pick six was off a dropped pass.

Reaction Score
As

Admittedly, I don't have the expertise on the game's innards that most on this board have. I have, however, watched enough football to, at least, suspect that I'm seeing a case of "Old-style Coaching Disease," also known as "We've-Got-a-World-Class-Defense-So-Offense-DON'T-F@#%-IT UP!!!!" Syndrome.

To me, it looked like PP found himself up by two-scores with twelve minutes to go in the half, and decided that the game now belonged to the defense. The problem with this type of thinking is that the occasional whims of the football gremlins can bite a coach in the ass.

The running TD MD scored on was the result of calling the absolute perfect play for the defense called by the UCONN coaching staff. It happens, especially to teams that play very aggressive (and don't change, please) defensive schemes. The second MD TD was the result of gremlin overload. Two receivers in the same place, (at least one was congratulated and screamed at for running the wrong pattern) a tipped ball caught after a UCONN defender was mugged. It's football. This stuff happens. The problem is that once an offense, in any sport, tries to shorten the game, it usually becomes difficult to change to normal mode.

Give UCONN credit. They answered by marching down the field and scoring a TD. CW made his best throws of the day. More to the point, he made his most important throws of the day. It looked so easy, I had to wonder why...........

As far as CW is concerned, and I'll probably get laughed at for this, I think he's going to be fine. I believe that, against MD, he did exactly what he was asked to do. He didn't lose the game. But, as stated, when he was needed, he performed. He's got a strong arm, that sometimes gets him into trouble, hits what he aims at and moves well within the pocket. I know the play ended in a fumble, but he really showed that he can be a weapon using his legs. When he made the cut towards the side line, my thoughts were where the hell did that come from. He's got some speed. He does have to understand that, no matter how fast he is, any time he runs laterally, the bad guys, if they are hustling, are going to catch up; especially at the D1 level.

I hate to say it, but PP will probably play the same way all year. "Offense don't lose, defense, win the game." He's not the first coach to play that way.

I agree with almost all of that, nice post. I only disagree about the strong arm comment. I think he has average arm strength. The ball doesn't seem to have any zip coming out of his hand. Maybe he's trying to use more touch, and he has more strength than I've seen, I don't know.

I also think he'll be fine. I was excited about the wheels he showed, just need to protect that ball!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
All fair points tide, but that's an underdog mentality. You play to keep it close and give yourself a shot at the end. It's also a mentality that keeps you always one freak play from disaster. I'm thinking (hoping) that this team should be better than that. If we're going to play offense with a 'fear of failure' philosphy, it will eventually infect the rest of the team - it always does. I'm not expecting deep looks on every series, but I'd like some semblance of aggression and purpose on offense. Our last TD drive at Md was better, but we followed that up with a run, run, punt three and out after Md answered. Thankfully, Md screwed up their two-minute drive (or our D stopped it) but they had a great opportnity to tie or win, created by our offense.

Reaction Score
I want to clarify my position more clearly. Winning is first and foremost. If that means 100 handoffs, and no passes so be it. My point is simply that for a long time I've felt we've left potential wins on the field by being ultra conservative. Temple and RU in 2010, always come to mind.

I believe that offenses/systems become good at what the coach/coaches decide to do. Paul Johnson can coach the option offense everywhere he goes and is pretty effective against all types of teams/defenses. Teams that pass well like Boise make that their approach. When P got here he talked about implementing an aggressive, attacking, defense that would dictate terms. He brought in Don Brown, and between Brown, P, and Hank Hughes we have some outstanding defensive coaches who have been D Coordinators at high levels. He also talked about developing an offense that gains "big chunks of yardage" on first and second down "explosive" was another term he used. Last year, I saw an offense that appeared designed to try and accomplish exactly that. We weren't always succesful, but you could see they were trying to implement what they had talked about. They seemed to be trying to develop a system. What we've seen through three games does not seem like they're still on that plain. It almost looks a regression on offense. That is what is frustrating, but hell if we win the Big East this year throwing for under 70 yds, a game, I'm all in. So in closing, I think the frustration comes from seeing a deviation from what was supposed to be the offensive system, to an offensive system intent on pounding the ball between that tackles with a 160lb. back, and seemingly not making an effort to get offensive production from any other position.

Reaction Score
It was obvious we were going to run the ball on first down. We did run it somewhat effectively outside the tackles but what i don't understand is why have a running back who weighs a buck fifty run between the tackles. Everyone at the game question the play calling. But when we did pass Whitmer looked very mechanical. Can't get to second read.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well hell, with that kind of dynamic approach and aggressive thinking maybe we should just get it over with and punt on first down.
We had 21 first down plays Saturday. 12 of 21 resulted in gains of 2 yards or less; 8 of the last 12 were 2 yards or less. If WE know what's coming you can be damn sure the opposing d coordinators who have been looking at film 16 hours a day know too. Besides the unimaginative play calls PP & GD are sending a terrible message to the players that they don't trust them. Jeez a little play action or rollout can't be that much to ask.

All to get us ready for W. Michigan. The air attack gets launched this weekend.

Reaction Score
Would he have played WR? Because the interceptions in that game were all off drops by our wide receivers. Frazer played one of his better games and had nothing to do with giving up the 48 points. Even the pick six was off a dropped pass.

No he would have fallen forward for 12 inches on fourth and goal early enough in the game to have at least kept it a game. Oh wait, Randy (boy offensive genius) would have still called that slow developing play (one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi) with Robby Frey (who was not UConn's best running back) who is still as of today trying to find a whole to turn up into. Brilliant, right out of Ben Scwartzwalter's book entitled "Dynamic Offenses for the Modern College Game" copyrighted in 1958.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
I imagine we'll all be in a better mood when we win a game against an undefeated BCS team on the road .....

Try to remember the UCONN offense ranked in Passing, Rushing Yards and Points was 111th, 101st and 94th! Are kidding me! and BE Play hasn't even started! WTF!

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
It was obvious we were going to run the ball on first down. We did run it somewhat effectively outside the tackles but what i don't understand is why have a running back who weighs a buck fifty run between the tackles. Everyone at the game question the play calling. But when we did pass Whitmer looked very mechanical. Can't get to second read.

McCombs seems to be getting progressively lighter from post to post. Next thing you know, he's going to be anorexic.

BTW, in my opinion, the reason we run LM in between the tackles is because he is pretty good at reading blocks (when they are there) and picking the right hole. The TD run against MD was a pretty good example. I don't care how heavy your RB is, if he picks the wrong lane to run through, he won't get positive yardage How many times do we see that on a 3rd or 4th and short where either we (or the other team) basically tries to plow some big body right into the line. How many times does that work?

All that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing some more creativity on 1st down as long as it doesn't end up with negative yardage or giving up the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom