Dez answers 5 Questions from Houston paper | The Boneyard

Dez answers 5 Questions from Houston paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/08/houston-preseason-tour-connecticut/

3. Finish this sentence: It’s a successful season for the Huskies if … the offensive line is good and consistent in the run game.
4. Finish this sentence: It could be a long season for UConn if … they lose the season opener at home to Villanova. Another loss to another I-AA right now might drive the fanbase away for the season. Thats how fragile things are here.
5. Who are a few UConn players to watch this season?
Running back Ron Johnson, strong, determined. Quarterback Bryant Shirreffs, appears to be able to manage a game, good pocket presence, a leader; wide receiver Noel Thomas, really talented, great hands; tackle Andreas Knappe, huge kid, gets better every snap; defensive tackle Julian Campenni, small in stature plays like a bull; defensive ends Kenton Adeyemi, Cole Orsmby are capable pass rushers; linebackers Marquise Vann, Graham Stewart, Junior Joseph; safety Andrew Adams, Obi Melifonwu can be two of the best in the league and Junior Lee helps here, too. Cornerback Jhavon Williams, good speed, primed for a big year..

Reaction Score
Sounds like Dez is channeling me in the one about a long season. But the odds are with us in that one I guess.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I love to nitpick DC, but kind of funny to be asked to named a few players to look out for and then name 14 guys haha.

Reaction Score
If we lose to Villanova, there is no explaining or rationale that will stop the last vestiges of average fan support from evaporating. This is a lose-lose game. We win - Nobody cares except diehards who recognize momentum change. We lose and its the end of the world. Hate this game to the max.

Reaction Score
If we lose to Villanova, there is no explaining or rationale that will stop the last vestiges of average fan support from evaporating. This is a lose-lose game. We win - Nobody cares except diehards who recognize momentum change. We lose and its the end of the world. Hate this game to the max.

lose lose only falls into play if we either lose or win the way we did against Stony Brook last year... If we stomp a mudhole in Nova's hiney there will be optimism...

Reaction Score
lose lose only falls into play if we either lose or win the way we did against Stony Brook last year... If we stomp a mudhole in Nova's hiney there will be optimism...
The closer the game gets, the more I think demolishing Nova is a real possibility. I tried so hard to keep my hopes leveled, but the with about a week until kickoff and some progress being written about lately, I can't keep my optimism contained anymore. SO ready for the games to start. Hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment yet again.... Either way, see ya'll at The Rent.

Reaction Score

Agreed, but you know damn well that even if we do beat them soundly those that merely take it as expected will write it off as just that. There isn't much difference IMO between a top FCS schools and a middling FBS schools. The name on the jersey or the level of play designation (FBS v. FCS) is not winning any football game. There has been nothing and I mean nothing shown by this team that would make me take ANY opponent lightly.

This team has a lot to prove, and I think they can and will make that step come 9/3!

Reaction Score
If I'm HCBD and I win the toss, I defer. I then call a "my hair is on fire" defense where we go man 2 man and send the house. I think our secondary is good enough to cover right out of the gate and not give up the big play.

Put the fear of God into the QB right from the start. If they do have an inexperienced OL, like what has been posted, then there should be some confusion for sure.

Again, if their OL is young, our DL should have no trouble pushing them around.

Reaction Score
My suggestion to you: don't go to the game and save yourself the heartburn.

Reaction Score
Relax Blue...No scolding here but realize we no longer have average fan support. The 15 and change season ticket holders will be there along with a few K freebees to witness the kicking we are going to lay on Nova.
There is no such thing as a lose-lose game. Simply energy vampire propaganda. This is the perfect game to open with in our rebuilding mode. That and the comment is simply disrespectful of the opponent.
You may want to check out the calendar of other events that evening to avoid watching a game you hate and think if we lose it is the end of the world. Again no malice but you need to find some comfort activity to save your soul. You're avatar is not working for you. Hell, you are sucking the mojo out of Jesus with this one...

Reaction Score
The closer the game gets, the more I think demolishing Nova is a real possibility. I tried so hard to keep my hopes leveled, but the with about a week until kickoff and some progress being written about lately, I can't keep my optimism contained anymore. SO ready for the games to start. Hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment yet again.... Either way, see ya'll at The Rent.

I think you are setting yourself up to be partly right. We should dominate many aspects of this game athletically. But as long as an experienced QB is standing upright he's dangerous and not going to quit. I still think we win and show some good signs offensively though not consistently. Our D should be very tough for them if we game this correctly.

Reaction Score
If I'm HCBD and I win the toss, I defer. I then call a "my hair is on fire" defense where we go man 2 man and send the house. I think our secondary is good enough to cover right out of the gate and not give up the big play.

Put the fear of God into the QB right from the start. If they do have an inexperienced OL, like what has been posted, then there should be some confusion for sure.

Again, if their OL is young, our DL should have no trouble pushing them around.

Their OL returns two starters, LT and a G that is moving to C, I'm thinking the advantage may go to our DL in that matchup.

Reaction Score
I think you are setting yourself up to be partly right. We should dominate many aspects of this game athletically. But as long as an experienced QB is standing upright he's dangerous and not going to quit. I still think we win and show some good signs offensively though not consistently. Our D should be very tough for them if we game this correctly.
I agree with you Jim. For as much as people are questioning our offensive line, as least we have some continuity. Nova seems to have a lot of question marks on their offensive line and our dline should be one of our strongest units. They need to make their presence felt. If they do, and our offense can be semi efficient, I think this has the potential to be a bigger win than many are expecting.

Reaction Score
Relax Blue...No scolding here but realize we no longer have average fan support. The 15 and change season ticket holders will be there along with a few K freebees to witness the kicking we are going to lay on Nova.
There is no such thing as a lose-lose game. Simply energy vampire propaganda. This is the perfect game to open with in our rebuilding mode. That and the comment is simply disrespectful of the opponent.
You may want to check out the calendar of other events that evening to avoid watching a game you hate and think if we lose it is the end of the world. Again no malice but you need to find some comfort activity to save your soul. You're avatar is not working for you. Hell, you are sucking the mojo out of Jesus with this one...

I want them demolished. That will be a statement. We have the D and with a little luck, a new sheriff and good line play it is doable. Of course, I'm the guy who keeps believing year over year this is the year

Reaction Score
This is a bad game for us I think. The best outcome is we kick butt and if everyone says so what? I'm good with that. A close win makes people question whether we have made progress. A loss and most people will start looking at the schedule of fall fairs on Saturdays. And that smoke you smell will be the fire starting under Diaco's seat. Despite what people want to pretend there is a difference between 1AA and even mid tier 1A programs. No more excuses. Play to win!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
...but as of last year, we were not a "mid tier 1A program." The question we're all looking for an answer to - are we one now?

Reaction Score
Really it shouldn't matter. Everyone points to 2013 when 1aa teams put up a few wins over name programs. They won 6 games. But do you know how many they lost? 96. Mostly to mid to lower tier 1as. There really is no excuse for losing the Villanova game. Just as there was none for losing to Towson.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Really it shouldn't matter. Everyone points to 2013 when 1aa teams put up a few wins over name programs. They won 6 games. But do you know how many they lost? 96. Mostly to mid to lower tier 1as. There really is no excuse for losing the Villanova game. Just as there was none for losing to Towson.
Can you please give it a rest until after the game has been played?

Everyone on this board knows your position. There is nothing that you need to clarify on where you stand in terms of the team and the coaching staff (the entire athletic department for that matter). I don't know what purpose is served by b!tching and moaning at 11:30 am as reinforcement of your b!tching and moaning at 9:30 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom