Dez and Chip on 1st scrimmage | The Boneyard

Dez and Chip on 1st scrimmage

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Wanted to hear, "Quarterback X looks really good, much better than last year." Didn't really matter who.

But, it sound like another muddled year at QB with best possible outcome is a guy who doesn't turn it over. Hopefully we'll get that quantum leap from the WR, 'cause they will need to be open.

Also nervous about the OL and by extension the running game, but there is still time.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Did folks really expect to see an Andrew Luck type of QB walk through the doors of the Shenk? Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have a clear cut starter by the spring game, but it's not a necessity.

If I had to bet, Whitmer still starts and Cochran redshirts.

Also noticed that Chip got a promotion and Jim Fuller will be taking over the beat from Chip. Let's hope the Register starts to spend some dough in relation to covering UConn sports.

Reaction Score
It was the last day of March. Panic after the spring game.

I would love to see CC and MN get redshirted. That would suggest Whitmer is ready and Mac can be effective backup.

Reaction Score
Did folks really expect to see an Andrew Luck type of QB walk through the doors of the Shenk? Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have a clear cut starter by the spring game, but it's not a necessity.

Also noticed that Chip got a promotion and Jim Fuller will be taking over the beat from Chip. Let's hope the Register starts to spend some dough in relation to covering UConn sports.
You have to cut the Register some slack. The Solomon tragedy shook up their sports department and they have taken a little time to get back on track. It's understandable.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I agree that it still feels like Whitmer to start and Cochran to redshirt. If not Whitmer, then Nebrich. I would be shocked if it's McEntee. But...if he gets that much better and he is our best option...then more power to him. McCummings at this point is wildcat only. He is the Tebow of the team.

Sorry to hear about Chip leaving the beat. While I love Dez, I think Chip had the most insightful observations on the team. He also is fun to read.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

If we have five QBs, we have no QB. Wasn't expecting a Heisman winner, but was hoping someone stepped up in the off season to claim the job. Whither was brought in challenge for the job. I was hoping he or anyone else would have made a bigger splash in the first week of practice.

Reaction Score
If we have five QBs, we have no QB. Wasn't expecting a Heisman winner, but was hoping someone stepped up in the off season to claim the job. Whither was brought in challenge for the job. I was hoping he or anyone else would have made a bigger splash in the first week of practice.

Is it even possible to make a "splash" in the first week of practice especially when you've been in the program for a month.....that is like waking up one day and expecting to run a marathon with no training and do well

just a ridiculous statement

Reaction Score
Wasn't expecting a Heisman winner, but was hoping someone stepped up in the off season to claim the job.

It's barely April, the off-season isn't exactly over yet. Let's give it some time and patience and hope somebody steps up and shows us something.

Reaction Score
Wow, unrealistic expectations much? We should have made a bid for Peyton Manning to appease you guys. One week....I repeat....one week. Let's wait til the spring game and still tailor our expectations to the timeframe. These guys really grow a lot over the course of the summer and through working alongside each other when the reporters aren't watching.

I don't think I have seen that level of motivation from our QB's in a long time, and the fact that Cochran stays after practices to fix things shows that he is fighting through the fatigue and the play book. I think we have some highly motivated guys who will only get better as the days go by. It impresses me that these guys can make the throws, but the biggest thing is to build that mental toughness/awareness and consistency. That comes with practice and experience, something that 6 practices won't fully test.

Reaction Score
You have to cut the Register some slack. The Solomon tragedy shook up their sports department and they have taken a little time to get back on track. It's understandable.

Well, sure. But they haven't sent Chip to road games for the last 3 years.

Reaction Score
Well, sure. But they haven't sent Chip to road games for the last 3 years.

I did not know that. Yikes.

One would think the Register would realize that increasing coverage of UCONN sports would be a good thing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also, everyone here needs to process the backdrop to yesterday's scrimmage.

Five QB's were rotated amongst three different OLines with Phillips, Davis and Abrams sidelined along with Shoemate.

Plus, according to PP, he was as concerned as much about the QB's processing the play call, getting the team out of the huddle and making adjustments at the line before the snap.

DeLeone said 7-7 drills would have been a better tool to evaluate the five QB's than yesterday's scrimmage was.

And for the record, everyone here is giving their opinions based off of reporters' opinion of the practice.

Reaction Score
Glad to hear McEntee isn't rolling over says a lot about him. Sounds like they are getting a lot of practice getting blitzed. Hopefully they will be better handling the pressure!!

Reaction Score
"Nobody else was marginally amused by the McEntee quote?"

I was. Made me smile. Actually, I thought it said something about him. I want the quarterback to know what he is and what he isn't. I also like that the guy went about solving a problem, improving a weakness. I hope they're all doing that and believe they are. I guess the comment helped me trust him a bit more. I think it showed some maturity.

Of course, I'm still expecting it's Whitmer starting, CC and MN redshirting and McEntee as back-up...McCummings running the wildcat.

Reaction Score
All statements made by coaches will be based on factors (motivation, etc.) other than the truth. We will learn nothing, good or bad, about the QB situation until we see the spring game with our own eyes.

Reaction Score
All statements made by coaches will be based on factors (motivation, etc.) other than the truth. We will learn nothing, good or bad, about the QB situation until we see the spring game with our own eyes.

And even then, could be fools gold ( Frazer was like 10-12 for 300 yards one year IIRC)... Sigh

All I want for Xmas is a competent qb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01