Devin Robinson | The Boneyard

Devin Robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So Robinson is visiting the 18th and 19th the same weekend as midnight madness (or first night) and this is also his last scheduled visit?

If so could he potentially commit then and there?

We need a packed house at Gampel for First Night and create a good environment like Duke, or Kansas first night, lets face it Gampel is not that big we should be able to fill it up pretty easily.

Reaction Score
He could on any visit--- "If so could he potentially commit then and there?"

Reaction Score
He's right though. There are plenty of visits that get scheduled but never happen. He'll be at Indiana's Midnight Madness too.

But if there's even an inkling of truth to the thought that we're in good shape for him, I doubt he'd commit elsewhere before visiting Storrs.

Reaction Score
I admit I don't like that he' ll be at Indiana's Midnight Madness too. Now he will have something to make a comparison with.
I've been to Storrs for a couple of those things.....I wasn't impressed.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I admit I don't like that he' ll be at Indiana's Midnight Madness too. Now he will have something to make a comparison with.
I've been to Storrs for a couple of those things.....I wasn't impressed.
Someone better keep TO from dancing and rapping his way into the gym during intros. Just sayin'. That could scare away to hungriest Husky wannabe.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the First Night festivities as they are now conducted are terrible.

First UCONN should not have both the men's and women's teams events at the same time.

Second it should start at Midnight like it used to.

(Men's team only @ Midnight)Should be player intro.-dunk/3 pt contest -scrimmage.

Have the womens event seperate for their fans.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the First Night festivities as they are now conducted are terrible.

First UCONN should not have both the men's and women's teams events at the same time.

Second it should start at Midnight like it used to.

(Men's team only @ Midnight)Should be player intro.-dunk/3 pt contest -scrimmage.

Have the womens event seperate for their fans.
Yes.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
The athletic department's trying to bring more fans into the event by appealing to everyone. Is that really a bad thing?

Reaction Score
The athletic department's trying to bring more fans into the event by appealing to everyone. Is that really a bad thing?

If they kept it to just the men's team and at midnight the place would be packed.

By combining it , it loses a lot of it's appeal at least to me.

I mean do we really need to see Brianna Stewart try to dunk(and miss 3 attempts).

The big thing is no scrimmage. That is where the men's fans got a glimpse of what was to come.

I'm not a women's team fan so to me half of the event is a waste of time. I don't get why they just don't have their even seperately.
There are lots of people who are not fans of both teams(and that is fine). So why try to shove the other team down people's throats that have no interest in it.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
If they kept it to just the men's team and at midnight the place would be packed.

By combining it , it loses a lot of it;s appeal at least to me.

I mean do we really need to see Brianna Stewart try to dunk(and miss 3 attempts).

The big thing is no scrimmage. That is where the men's fans got a glimpse of what was to come.

I'm not a women's team fan so to me half of the event is a waste of time. I don't get why they just don't have their seperately.
There are lots of people who are not fans of both teams(and that is fine). So why try to shove the other team down people's throats that have no interest in it.

People rip the athletic department all the time for not branching out to more fans, and when they do, it's a bad thing?

Reaction Score
I don't know how you could possibly argue that having a men's only First Night would draw more fans than a combined one. If you can't be bothered to show up because you have to watch the gals get introduced (and every 100 years you might have to watch a girl in the dunk contest), then I'm not sure you're as much of a fan of the men's team as you think you are.

Reaction Score
I don't know how you could possibly argue that having a men's only First Night would draw more fans than a combined one. If you can't be bothered to show up because you have to watch the gals get introduced (and every 100 years you might have to watch a girl in the dunk contest), then I'm not sure you're as much of a fan of the men's team as you think you are.

36 year season ticketholder so yeah I'm a men's basketball fan

The old format at midnight drew a lot of people(more than now)-it was the official start of the season.

But for full disclosure I'm not a fan of Gino.

Did you ever go to the old midnight madness? It was great compared to this 7 PM watered down version that is now produced.
A lot of people I know do not cheer for the women's team and have expressed to me that they won't attend the event the way it is now structured. So there are people out there who preferred the old format.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
36 year season ticketholder so yeah I'm a men's basketball fan

The old format at midnight drew a lot of people(more than now)-it was the official start of the season.

But for full disclosure I'm not a fan of Gino.

Did you ever go to the old midnight madness? It was great compared to this 7 PM watered down version that is now produced.
A lot of people I know do not cheer for the women's team and have expressed to me that they won't attend the event the way it is now structured. So there are people out there who preferred the old format.

100% correct. I went to a couple back in the Calhoun era (wow that sounds weird), and it was much more of a celebration of the start of the men's season. Now its like something to do on a Friday evening before you get smashed at Carriage.

Reaction Score
I'm not questioning whether the new format and time is better than the old. I'm just saying that I doubt removing the girls from the event would bring in more fans. If you're pumped up to see the team, the dunk contest, hear the coach speak, etc., then it's really lame to say you're not going to go just because the girls team is there too.

Reaction Score
I'm not questioning whether the new format and time is better than the old. I'm just saying that I doubt removing the girls from the event would bring in more fans. If you're pumped up to see the team, the dunk contest, hear the coach speak, etc., then it's really lame to say you're not going to go just because the girls team is there too.

I didn't say I'm not going. I said the new format is not nearly as good as the old one.

Ok tine to rant:

The reason why I can't stand seeing Gino(especially) on first night with the men's team is that because of Gino specifically that nothing was done to honor Coach Calhoun(like naming the court at Gampel for instance-see my screen name and avatar for how I really feel :). because it was always "well what are they going to do for Gino" -I say who cares what they do for Gino. Name something else for him.

Gino could win 10 more championships and they would not equal JC's 3.

And for the athletic dept. to just try to lump both coaches together is very wrong-IMO.

It's apples and oranges-both did not operate on tthe same playing field. What JC has done for the university should not be expressed by sharing his name with someone else on say a court building or street.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
UConn (men's) first midnight madness was when I was student there and it was either the 97-98 season or the 98-99 season -- I remember Khalid was there. It was only men's and it was at Midnight... i was there and it was not even close to being full...

EDIT: It was the first midnight madness since 1988 and it was in the 1997-1998 season.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UConn (men's) first midnight madness was when I was student there and it was either the 97-98 season or the 98-99 season -- I remember Khalid was there. It was only men's and it was at Midnight... i was there and it was not even close to being full...

EDIT: It was the first midnight madness since 1988 and it was in the 1997-1998 season.
How come you didn't wave to me. I was at that KEA debut also. Went home to my family and proclaimed he was the piece to an NC. My "brilliance" at scouting lasted until LeBlanc!

I used to make sure to change my schedule to have the day off for MM. Would leave Litchfield County at 3 to beat rush hour traffic in Htd and make my way to Reins' Deli. After a glutenous meal I'd head to UConn and walk around the campus until I would see the lines forming. Always wanted to be near the front to get a great seat. I loved the event in all its manifestations.

Attendance did lessen over time. Not sure if it was the factor for combining events since, as you point out, it was never full.

It was a great marketing concept imo, since UConn is the first and only University to have a men's and women's bb NC in the same year. Why not hype this singular accomplishment?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
How come you didn't wave to me. I was at that KEA debut also. Went home to my family and proclaimed he was the piece to an NC. My "brilliance" at scouting lasted until LeBlanc!

I used to make sure to change my schedule to have the day off for MM. Would leave Litchfield County at 3 to beat rush hour traffic in Htd and make my way to Reins' Deli. After a glutenous meal I'd head to UConn and walk around the campus until I would see the lines forming. Always wanted to be near the front to get a great seat. I loved the event in all its manifestations.

Attendance did lessen over time. Not sure if it was the factor for combining events since, as you point out, it was never full.

It was a great marketing concept imo, since UConn is the first and only University to have a men's and women's bb NC in the same year. Why not hype this singular accomplishment?
Yes, when I first met Khalid (I was taking summer classes in the summer of 97 and one my good friends at the time was his "summer program" counselor) -- I could tell that the kid was the spark we needed. It was further showed during the early pick up games, midnight madness and through the rest of the season of the 97-98, and of course 98-99 was magical - a great time to be a student.

In regards to midnight madness or first night (whatever they want to call it now), there are many things that the school can do to improve the experience. Probably needs more theatrics than they have had in the past, more celebrity judges, etc. I don't think having the men's and women's teams together is a bad thing -- it's unique that we dominate in both.

Reaction Score
BigShotsNation
@BigShotsNation

BIG SHOTS All American 2014 SF Devin Robinson (Squires Richmond) visits Oklahoma State this weekend. @SquiresRichmond @OSUAthletics #OKState

Reaction Score
Updated.

Did you hear Les Miles discussing how he hired hostess's? Gundy and Miles emphasized that their relationships were to be professional. Also, they had a behavior code. and, they had to volunteer answering phones from recruits during the week.

What the heck is in it for these young women? Can anyone answer that? Besides the obvious?

Reaction Score
I didn't say I'm not going. I said the new format is not nearly as good as the old one.

Ok tine to rant:

The reason why I can't stand seeing Gino(especially) on first night with the men's team is that because of Gino specifically that nothing was done to honor Coach Calhoun(like naming the court at Gampel for instance-see my screen name and avatar for how I really feel :). because it was always "well what are they going to do for Gino" -I say who cares what they do for Gino. Name something else for him.

Gino could win 10 more championships and they would not equal JC's 3.

And for the athletic dept. to just try to lump both coaches together is very wrong-IMO.

It's apples and oranges-both did not operate on tthe same playing field. What JC has done for the university should not be expressed by sharing his name with someone else on say a court building or street.

If you're gonna botch Geno, might as well go with Gyno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom