Details on Kia's stress (fracture) injury to ankle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Details on Kia's stress (fracture) injury to ankle

Reaction Score
Well, we'll just have to see how well Z defends between the arc and the post won't we? We'll just have to see how good she is offensively. We'll just have to see how much Crystal Dangerfield's curve of improvement continues. The balance between 1, 2, and 3 will be how well the team is run and is it worth the hit you take on defense as opposed to defensive execution. Or if there is any hit at all. Geno generally likes to run 7 or 8 at teams. Taking into account the returning 4 starters then adding the experienced 2 transfers that leaves 2 off the bench between 3 returning sophomores and 4 incoming freshmen. In reality that will be Crystal Dangerfield and 1 from the other 6.
What you say--in a nut shell--is we won't know until next year what this team will do or can do. The rust of not playing actual games, regardless of how great the transfers were, may show itself--but the flip side is--they have learned the Geno systems and have played with their teammates in practice---wait and see--but the potential is there.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What you say--in a nut shell--is we won't know until next year what this team will do or can do. The rust of not playing actual games, regardless of how great the transfers were, may show itself--but the flip side is--they have learned the Geno systems and have played with their teammates in practice---wait and see--but the potential is there.
Yep. My guess is that Z will start with Lou at the 2 initially, although maybe Gabby spelling at the 2. First guard off the bench will be Crystal Dangerfield with 'Touly the first forward off. Walker may impress enough to come in as a second 2 or wing with Coombs a wild card at the point and Lexi and Hunter wild cards on the wing. Sorry Molly. Sorry Kyla. Nat will see plenty in the post. All could really change if Crystal Dangerfield makes AA improvement between now and the end of camp.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
By all accounts, Z is too good not to start and at 6'6" solves the height issue. Then you have three returning AAs (yikes!) and a returning three year starter in Nurse. That lineup will overwhelm almost all opponents.

Not sure how all the pieces fit numerically, 1, 2, etc., but they will figure all that out, too good (and well coached) not to. The defensive matchups will depend upon the opponents` personnel and Gabby will be utilized accordingly. Looks to be an incredible running/pressing team and Geno will be able to press more - as depth and foul trouble not nearly as big a concern as they are this year.

Crystal Dangerfield could make a bid to start if makes the big sophomore jump (where have we seen that?). She is the truest PG on the team, but who would she bump? My guess is she gets solid minutes off the bench and comes in early to jumpstart things if the offense is bogging down. I`m assuming we will see a fair amount of Walker and Camara, and Butler will still see minutes.

Will be a challenge for the others to get minutes next year but they will have an opportunity to earn some in practice, and we will also get a better feel for what the incoming freshmen bring to the table. But only 200 minutes available to divvy up.

I suspect that as this topic gets beaten to death over the next 8 months, the possibility of redshirting will come up. Other than for injury, not sure they have done that before.

Reaction Score
One of the bits of news from last night’s HBO episode was the disclosure by UConn trainer Janelle Francisco that Kia’s right ankle injury is to her medial malleolus, which is the prominence on the tibia on the inner side of the ankle. While Janelle, as well as Geno, have described it as a “stress reaction,” the injury is in fact a fracture of the bone.

Such injuries typically occur when you roll an ankle, or from repetitive actions such as running or jumping. If the fracture were displaced, surgery would be required, so my assumption is that Kia’s stress fracture is not displaced.

In such instances the treatment is rest, a walking boot and/or crutches for several weeks, followed by strengthening and balancing exercises, some of which we saw in last night’s episode. The prognosis for recovery is usually good, but can take anywhere from several weeks to six months.

Watching Kia run during the AAC tournament, while she is better, she’s not 100% yet. Obviously, Kia is one tough lady. She is not going to wait a month to get back on the court with the NCAA tournament around the corner. I would expect that she is going to therapy a couple times a day. Along with practice, that’s a tough grind, but when you’re chasing a national championship, pain is a secondary consideration. I have said before of Kia, she plays basketball with the mindset of a hockey player.
Understood, but still a question in my mind why she played in Conf Playoffs as well as week(s) before she was "booted." While she and Geno likely wanted her to get more conditioning, these were not critical games. As mentioned, she is far from 100%. Hate to second guess but those weeks could have been a material investment in the Big Dance.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Understood, but still a question in my mind why she played in Conf Playoffs as well as week(s) before she was "booted." While she and Geno likely wanted her to get more conditioning, these were not critical games. As mentioned, she is far from 100%. Hate to second guess but those weeks could have been a material investment in the Big Dance.
I sort of trust the professionals on these questions - the trainers and doctors working with UConn athletes (and most D1 athletes) are world class and have a lot more information than we do. They probably caught the problem really early on and shut her down quickly, and they are confident that the issue is under control. We had Stef play a full NCAA tournament with stress reactions in both feet and it turned out fine. They really do know what they are doing and are not playing silly buggers with young athletes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What UcMiami said.

Reaction Score
I sort of trust the professionals on these questions - the trainers and doctors working with UConn athletes (and most D1 athletes) are world class and have a lot more information than we do. They probably caught the problem really early on and shut her down quickly, and they are confident that the issue is under control. We had Stef play a full NCAA tournament with stress reactions in both feet and it turned out fine. They really do know what they are doing and are not playing silly buggers with young athletes.

I'm sure that you remember when Kia sat for the first few games how concerned everyone was by her absence. Folks were saying that Nurse was critical to the team's success, that w/out her the Huskies were unanchored. So there was some degree of urgency to get Kia back on the court, even if for just short periods. True, most games were not close, but Geno said the chemistry wasn't the same w/out her. I agree that the trainers and medical staff would not have rushed her back carelessly, but, with the tournament looming and the fear that she'd need some time to return to form, getting her on the court seemed prudent. It appears to have worked.

Reaction Score
I hope Kia's ankle continues to improve and that she can successfully contribute in the NCAA tourney. These stress "reactions" can linger and all of a sudden just blow. Many of you baseball and fellow YANKEE fans may remember Derek Jeter's going down like he was shot when his chronic ankle problem blew before he retired. That injury cost him a prime season and no doubt cost another 200 hits. Had that not happened Jeter might have played another year and finished third or better in all time hits, right up there with the racist Cobb and the Degenerate Gambler Rose.
Kia is obviously much younger that Jeter was when he had is injury and that should bode well for the rest of this season.

Reaction Score
As we've said, the luck of this is that there is an honest 3 guard rotation available now. Saniya has really stepped up and Crystal is developing. Tough luck, but worse would have been one of UConn's wings/forwards.

OTOH, Lou seems to have lost a step on defense, and her man just seems to blow right by her, so, with Crystal being short and still learning, Saniya only recently becoming a reasonable defender, and Kia perhaps limited in action and/or in full mobility, perimeter defense is definitely a concern. Since UConn has all year worried about its height disadvantage and short bench in underneath players, who now may have to work even harder and risk fouling even more if the perimeter is more easily penetrated, makes everything even more fragile. We live in interesting times!

Bags, spot on. We have seen Gabby's enthusiasm get her in foul trouble. Trying to compensate for a missing Lou or Pheesa could pressure Gabby to perform even more preternatural feats. OTOH, as the single-elimination stakes rise, Geno will be in her ear to back off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom