Destroyed on the boards. | The Boneyard

Destroyed on the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Going forward I hope KO can never be stuck in this situation again with no one with any muscle on the inside. Brutal.

Reaction Score
It is amazing how terrible a defensive rebounding team we are. We have horrible instincts for it, and don't block out way too often. And it's everyone bigs and guards.

The first play of the game was a follow up dunk! And another thing, I want to see Brimah block the ball out of bounds always, because our guys don't react well when the ball is in play after a blocked shot and it usually leads to an uncontested layup. And how embarrasing was it when the Louisville guard missed the shot, got the rebound, and two handed dunked it as our bigs stood by watching.

Reaction Score
Louisville's 6 ft 1 freshman Terry Rozier had 7 rebounds. No one else on UConn had more than 5.

If you aren't scoring, at least grab a few rebounds please!

Reaction Score
I agree that not rebounding kills us but completely disagree with the not the refs part of your statement I'm sorry. I'm not one who likes to blame games on things other than the play of the team but that call changes the ENTIRE game no doubt about it. We have no idea who wins if that call is made

caw

Reaction Score
Not the refs. They were bad. But the reason we lost is we were KILLED on the boards. Even when we got rebounds we sometimes still lost the ball.

Without the technicals, we still lose.!!!!

Rebounds are the real story of the game. The refs are a distraction.

I disagree completely.

Don't get me wrong rebounding sucked.

The refs took it from a tough game to an impossible game. That was huge.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I feared the refs would let this become a rock fight and Lville is much better prepared to play this type of game.

Reaction Score
It is almost impossible to win when you get out rebounded by double digits.

We managed it a few times last year. But it just makes it too big a hill to climb.

They killed us on the boards.

Reaction Score
It wasn't the refs. L'ville out hustled us. They were the aggressors. They hit the boards.

This will continue to happen until we learn to rebound.

Reaction Score
We could have reacted two ways after that: Played like uncaged hellhounds and go from 9 down to a breezy win. Or lose our composure. Team lost their composure and threw in the last 13 minutes of the game. Can't really blame them but that's how it went. Game wasn't over by any stretch at that point. They only went 2/4 on the techs. Hell we were Brimah catching an alley away from making it a 2 possession game with 2 mins to go. We got that split of Louisville/Memphis everyone was looking for. Let's go out and win the next one.

But yeah, rebounding was atrocious. DD didn't score and wasn't really involved in the flow of the offense but he could have helped himself out by attacking the offensive glass (where he has been extremely good at times.)

caw

Reaction Score
W
We could have reacted two ways after that: Played like uncaged hellhounds and go from 9 down to a breezy win. Or lose our composure. Team lost their composure and threw in the last 13 minutes of the game. Can't really blame them but that's how it went. Game wasn't over by any stretch at that point. They only went 2/4 on the techs. Hell we were Brimah catching an alley away from making it a 2 possession game with 2 mins to go. We got that split of Louisville/Memphis everyone was looking for. Let's go out and win the next one.

But yeah, rebounding was atrocious. DD didn't score and wasn't really involved in the flow of the offense but he could have helped himself out by attacking the offensive glass (where he has been extremely good at times.)

UConn actually did regain it's composure, but it took too long.

Of course if that Boat to Brimah alley-opp goes down, we all may be talking about an amazing win. That would have cut it to 5 with three to go. Unfortunately it didn't and UL extends the lead to 9. That no call/techs and three or so minutes of lost composure doomed UConn.

Reaction Score
IF Niels Giffey hits all 3 free throws we're down 6, instead of 11. That was NOT the reason we lost. We lost because we got beat to 50/50s, outmuscled and out hustled. We clearly need a bruiser down low but guys like Rozier routinely got rebounds they never should have gotten. Toughness continues to be a huge issue with this team.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It wasn't the refs. L'ville out hustled us. They were the aggressors. They hit the boards.

This will continue to happen until we learn to rebound.
How do you "agrees" when the whistle is primed and ready?

caw

Reaction Score
IF Niels Giffey hits all 3 free throws we're down 6, instead of 11. That was NOT the reason we lost. We lost because we got beat to 50/50s, outmuscled and out hustled. We clearly need a bruiser down low but guys like Rozier routinely got rebounds they never should have gotten. Toughness continues to be a huge issue with this team.

Err, sure but you don't think it's a much closer game down the wire if that incident is called correctly?

UConn had itself in a hole with its bad rebounding, but not an insurmountable one. That incident made it nearly insurmountable. It was huge. Miller should have called a timeout and settled them down quicker, or they should have just played with more composure, but that was a horrible call and just the worst example of a very uneven and poorly called game.

Reaction Score
Dickie all game about Daniels 2 fouls in the first half took him out of his game, I don't agree, he was manhandled by stronger players both ways as was the whole team. Physically it looked like a mismatch body wise. No strength down low is a big recruiting mistake.

Reaction Score
Fear can be a good thing. Jim Calhoun's players feared him on the sidelines. Fear of him calling a quick T and dropping the hammer of the gods on someone who didn't D up or box out.

Reaction Score
Err, sure but you don't think it's a much closer game down the wire if that incident is called correctly?

UConn had itself in a hole with its bad rebounding, but not an insurmountable one. That incident made it nearly insurmountable. It was huge. Miller should have called a timeout and settled them down quicker, or they should have just played with more composure, but that was a horrible call and just the worst example of a very uneven and poorly called game.
Of course it's a closer game but we can't just assume that all the issues that caused us to be down 9 in the first place and continued to manifest themselves would have been fixed if that foul is called. Hopefully the team gains some mental toughness from this and handles it better the next time they get killed on a huge call.

Reaction Score
Not the refs. They were bad. But the reason we lost is we were KILLED on the boards. Even when we got rebounds we sometimes still lost the ball.

Men against skinny boys. Slow and timid skinny boys. If only someone over 6'6" had the heart of Bazz or Boat.

Reaction Score

It wasn't just that over-the-top missed call, it was another dozen or more they called 1-way... on us. Why do this insist on making calls at 40' and ignore the mayhem in the lane? Boat and Bazz were hit every time in the lane, and 80-90% weren't called.

Reaction Score
Men against skinny boys. Slow and timid skinny boys. If only someone over 6'6" had the heart of Bazz or Boat.
This a recurring theme for this team. Physically every other team has men and we have boys.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This a recurring theme for this team. Physically every other team has men and we have boys.

Ollie inherited a team with super quick but small guards.

He got Purvis as a transfer and Cassell, Jr too. Both are bigger guards.

First full recruiting class included Rubin.

He knows what he is missing and is addressing it.

Unfortunately there aren't mid-season trades in college.

Patience.

I'll be surprised if UConn doesn't add another thick body in the spring.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't need to dominate the boards. They just need to stay even. If they did--they're more than competitive in this game. But no...they got destroyed.

This isn't gonna be the year that we make leaps and bounds on the glass. But I forsee future years where Brimah and Facey will be an incredible tandem and rebounding machine.

Reaction Score

This team seems to not require much to distract it in a negative way. In fact things that past UCONN teams would feed off of seem to give this team a reason not to show up. I think Game Day and the "Olliewood" promo coming off the high of the Memphis win couldn't have come at a worse time. Yeah the refs were a problem but the energy to defend and rebound wasn't there. Maybe not as bad as the Texas trip; but they clearly played(no matter what they said to the media) like they expected Louisville to just lay down or, at the very least, bring a mediocre effort. And what Louisville did, despite roster changes from last year, was show them exactly what it takes to win a conference and national championship.

I can't stand Pitino; and watching him walk off the floor with a big, eating grin on his face really pi**es me off. But we were pathetic(from Deandre following up a career night with a no-show, to the rebounding and defense, to Amida showing just how far away he really is from the potential of that 20 point game etc. etc.) and we got exactly what we deserved.

Having said all of that I am REAL glad that we have a quick turnaround playing Temple on Tuesday night at the XL Center. It will give Kevin, the team and us a chance to spit the bitter taste of this one out of our mouths as quickly as possible. Of course, if Mike Stuart shows up Tuesday night, we might have to slip a mega dose of Ex-Lax into his pre-game drink. I saw a couple of earlier posts that this guy had tossed a fan from the Bradley game Friday night; and, he was doing his fifth game in a row(what the hell is up with that?!!).

GO HUSKIES!!!
BEAT TEMPLE!!!
husky_qa.jpg-300x200.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members