Destiny Slocum Speaks ... A Little | The Boneyard

Destiny Slocum Speaks ... A Little

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"The things that I felt were missing at Maryland were really present at Oregon State," Slocum said by phone Monday night. "When I got on campus to take the visit, it was even better than I expected. The staff, the team, just the whole atmosphere of the program I felt fit me really well."

Maryland transfer Destiny Slocum finds right 'fit' at Oregon State

"Then on her visit to Corvallis, Slocum was pleasantly surprised by the kindness of the players and coaches, whether it was while touring campus or while playing dodgeball in the practice facility.

"I was like, 'Wow, this is a place I could call home,'" Slocum said. "I felt connected, and I haven't felt like that in a long time with a whole bunch of people -- staff and players."

It's a gentle slam of Maryland, but a slam none the less I think. She's from Idaho and her parents come from Portland, so it is sorta like going home.

Reaction Score
She does realize that as a prized student-athlete they roll out the red carpet and everyone is on their best behavior during a visit, right? Just a hunch, but she probably thought similar things when she first visited Maryland.

But didn't a transfer candidate go to Tennessee and make comments to the effect that the vibes were bad, and transfer somewhere else? Young people pick up on the vibes. Being polite is one thing, but a feel for a place, coach, and program is something different.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
But didn't a transfer candidate go to Tennessee and make comments to the effect that the vibes were bad, and transfer somewhere else? Young people pick up on the vibes. Being polite is one thing, but a feel for a place, coach, and program is something different.

A transfer candidate did say such things about UT and wound up at tOSU. That UT team went on to beat tOSU in the tournament that year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Destiny Slocum on why she chose MD.
”It’s a family atmosphere and they are serious about winning and developing a name for themselves and I like the persona that they carry themselves with. And being so far away from home I get excited about a team that’s all about each other and everything is a united feel. “
"Coach Frese is an awesome individual in general, you get a mother feeling from her but also a motivational persona. I’m excited to see how she can not only develop me as a player but also as a player. “
2016's #4 ranked DESTINY SLOCUM picks MARYLAND & shares why - WiseEYEsports

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sometimes a university is just not a good fit for a player and they leave. It happens...happens at Baylor, happens at UCONN, happens at Notre Dame.......

We can't read too much into a player's comments. Freese has developed some good talent and I'm sure many players who would say great things about their experience at MD.

Reaction Score
”It’s a family atmosphere and they are serious about winning and developing a name for themselves and I like the persona that they carry themselves with. And being so far away from home I get excited about a team that’s all about each other and everything is a united feel. “
"Coach Frese is an awesome individual in general, you get a mother feeling from her but also a motivational persona. I’m excited to see how she can not only develop me as a player but also as a player. “

I guess she found out she was wrong, or she would not be leaving.

Reaction Score
Well I think this is all about Scott Rueck and HIS program.... HIS way of relating to his players, HIS way of integrating the player into his future plans..... HIS way of making the player feel worthwhile and important.

Reaction Score
Don't forget that the atmosphere and day to day living at a school could very well have nothing whatsoever to do with the athletic department. Student athletes do have exposure to the other students on the campus and the environment of the university. I would imagine that a kid from Idaho might be taken aback by the congestion and "big city" feel of College Park. Yes, the University of Maryland campus is beautiful but go off campus and your in a city on PG County just outside of DC. To be blunt, it ain't the garden spot of Maryland. Sure, there a a lot of things to do and see in the area, but it's crowded, noisy, busy, and just a little bit rough around the edges. Destiny might not have been exposed to that during the recruiting process and once she was living in that atmosphere she may have decided she didn't like it. I can see where a kid from small town America would feel totally out of place there. The campus itself is essentially it's own city of 40,000 people. One of the reasons why I didn't go to school there. Went to WVU instead to a school that was at that time, half the size, closer to home, and just a much more comfortable fit.

My daughter, raised in a Baltimore suburb and definitely comfortable in a city setting, said she felt like a small fish in a large shark tank during her first semester at Maryland.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wonder if part of the decision process was playing in the fairly weak Big 10 conference. Besides the overall weakness, there seems to be a similarity between the programs (and venues) that I can imagine might be tedious. The west coast PAC12 seems (to an outsiders) a lot more diversified with up and coming programs with many different feels.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not every coach and their program is ever going to be for everyone. Coaching styles are so different - just watch a Vivian, a Tara, a JPM, Rueck or Frese on the sideline. Now, imagine all those differences carrying through to the different ways they interact with their players off the court, in practice, etc; the different expectations, the different assistant coaches, etc. Then add the teammates that change every year, as a rule, plus all the factors of student life.

I have no trouble understanding transfers who honestly admit that it just no longer felt right and who find a program that appears to be a good fit. However, few really admit to their feelings in public.

Reaction Score
Well I think this is all about Scott Rueck and HIS program.... HIS way of relating to his players, HIS way of integrating the player into his future plans..... HIS way of making the player feel worthwhile and important.
I agree. Whenever I've seen Scott Rueck in an interview or a press conference I've always been impressed by his demeanor and his positive outlook towards his players and the OSU program in general. I can't say that I've had the same impression from the Maryland coach. A player has to make what they feel is the best choice for them, at a young age, when picking a school. It doesn't always work out for the best. Thankfully they can change their mind and move on to what they see as a better program.

Reaction Score

Comparing both quotes about why she picked each school........HMMMMMMMMMMM....I'm a nonbeliever of anything she says. But who cares what I think. It's her life. :eek::cool::p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom