Desparate need for 2 juco OL's | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Desparate need for 2 juco OL's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well ...

Foley has done it. We've seen multiple kids developed by that guys over the last 10 years (minus our GDL experience). And Mike Cummings took a raw kid named Eric Fisher & turned him into a Number 1 NFL pick. So ... He's got credibility & has shown that.

That was Plan A.

Looking at our lineup, where's this going to come from. We can dream about some of these guys developing quickly; but there is some bad signs on kids who should have progressed. Your basically really counting on Rutherford & Crozier coming on early. I still think Levy & Knappe are at Basic level - 100 level.

Plan B? Not always JuCo. But look at the Plan A. Need to be massively creative. And I think the NE prep is somewhat more advanced. But ... This is - I Agree - your worse case scenario.

Reaction Score
If Foley is the miracle worker some have professed he is then he might want to start working some of those miracles in pretty quick. He's had these guys by himself all winter, spring and summer and it looks like the lot of them just showed up on campus yesterday.

Why is Foley remotely to blame? He has a track record. Recent recruits were PP/GDL. Training was PP/GDL. Schemes were PP/GDL.

With the new regime, the OL coach DOES NOT determine offensive and blocking schemes. That is the OC. Foley is just trying to develop guys for the current offensive scheme. And those guys are very young and inexperienced.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don't like JUCO unless it is one player that can fit in the team concept. Not all can if you look at JUCO three star from the past few years. I prefer prep and high school players.

I unlike some of you trust Foley off of past results.

Reaction Score
I have to think they are looking for JUCOs. I have not seen anything to give me optimism for next year regarding the O Line. The hope obviously is that another year in the weight room helps, but this is a very bad offensive line. Missed assignmemts, poor technique, and consistently losing one on one matchups.

Check this out. They are all taken and accounted for. UCONN is gonna get table scraps.
http:// /Season/2014-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege&Position=OT

I like the idea of an FCS transfer or a 5th year seniors from a big time program.

Reaction Score
No FCS transfers. Historically a good portion of UConns recruiting battles have been against FCS schools. And look where that got us.

Reaction Score
Why is Foley remotely to blame? He has a track record. Recent recruits were PP/GDL. Training was PP/GDL. Schemes were PP/GDL.

With the new regime, the OL coach DOES NOT determine offensive and blocking schemes. That is the OC. Foley is just trying to develop guys for the current offensive scheme. And those guys are very young and inexperienced.

I'm a fan of Mike Foley, but at some point, and it has been exactly a year at his stage - we need to stop blaming everything from world peace to global warming to OL who can't block FCS guys off the line on PPGDL. They're gone. They've been gone. We saw some magic late last year that suggested we would have something more than this heaping pile of manure some refer to as an OL. These guys are gonna get a back killed. The players and the coach need to look in the mirror and frigging figure out how to block someone, create a crease, and/or protect the QB -- I'll take one.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Foley is to blame because Weyuo still has his mancrush on GDL.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of Mike Foley, but at some point, and it has been exactly a year at his stage - we need to stop blaming everything from world peace to global warming to OL who can't block FCS guys off the line on PPGDL. They're gone. They've been gone. We saw some magic late last year that suggested we would have something more than this heaping pile of manure some refer to as an OL. These guys are gonna get a back killed. The players and the coach need to look in the mirror and frigging figure out how to block someone, create a crease, and/or protect the QB -- I'll take one.

Hold on. Last year's line depth chart for the Temple game:

LT:
Bennett SR. Graduated.
Hemingway SO. Dismissed from team

LG:
Greene SR. Graduated
Rugg FR

C:
Mateas JR
Paull JR. Retired from football.

RG:
Bulloch SR. Graduated
Samra SO.

RT:
Gifford SO.
Levy FR.

The above line is much more experienced and talented than what we have this year. That is why we were all frustrated last year as we had a veteran line, but terrible schemes. But, they turned it around once they got rid of PP/GDL and Foley was part of the turnaround.

This year's line is very inexperienced and most of the OL on the roster are young. There are 2 SRs on the roster this year.

Reaction Score
But just how do you recruit a 5th year transfer? You can't contact them.
Has Hashemi seen the field yet?
We also need a JUCO or 5th year transfer at QB.
Diaco coached and recruited at ND. Start there. That is how BC ended up with 4 from UF the past two years. Adazzio coached and recruited them. Look at where the other coaches came from and who they may have recruited.

They can't contact them but the 5th year kids know who needs help and who doesn't. And they have ways of reaching out. Their current schools just need to release them. There is nothing to stop a kid from coming to Uconn for 1 year as Brown and Phillips going to BC shows (Brown is having a decent year there, Phillips, not so much).

I suggested this on a recruiting thread or on here when BD was hired but was told that was not a very good idea and besides, there was o way Phillips could go to BC because there were rules against it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
120 teams * 85 scholarships = 10,200 scholarship FBS athletes / 4 eligible years = 2,050. But thanks for finding an article listing 17 players or less than 0.83% who may have that possibility.

Truth be told, It doesn't happen very often to get a 5th year impact senior transfer in basketball either. UConn was extremely lucky over the last two years.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
120 teams * 85 scholarships = 10,200 scholarship FBS athletes / 4 eligible years = 2,050. But thanks for finding an article listing 17 players or less than 0.83% who may have that possibility.

Truth be told, It doesn't happen very often to get a 5th year impact senior transfer in basketball either. UConn was extremely lucky over the last two years.
Excellent math skills - I didn't double check your work though!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Excellent math skills - I didn't double check your work though!
I did it fast and I screwed up. 10,200/4= 2550, so the percentage is even lower.

Reaction Score

But teams with holes find ways to patch them while they build.

The math needs to be based on need and class size. The article list 17 impact players. Here's one that lists 20 and missesd at least 2 that we know of -
http://www.ajc.com/gallery/sports/college/college-football-transfers/gCHJd/#last

The key is that it can not and should be not overlooked as a way to bring in an immediate fix to help bridge a talent gap.

People may hate this, but look at BC. Biggest weakness going into 2013 and a thin area in 2014 is OL. They bring in a fifth year starter 2 years running. Weak at QB with only a true FR to replace a 4 year starter. Bring in a 5th year who starts. Need help at WR when the all time leading receiver leave. Bring in a 5th year WR who starts. Weak at DB. Bring in a 5th year DB who starts.

These are not bad kids, bad students or bad players. They wanted a change of scenery/get closer to home/a chance to prove themselves 1 last time before they call their career over. Plus they already have a degree so they should bring some maturity to a young team. And they don't hurt any kind of APR in case that BS ever shows up again

How will Uconn stop the bleeding next year? If BD isn't thinking about some 5th years to shore up positions of need, then he is not ready to be a D1 head coach. Long term depth and success is recruiting but getting some 1 year help can be huge.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If BD isn't thinking about some 5th years to shore up positions of need, then he is not ready to be a D1 head coach. Long term depth and success is recruiting but getting some 1 year help can be huge.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm sure Coach Diaco is doing the appropriate due diligence on 5th year seniors. I just don't expect the same success as the 37 player your referenced articles mention, nor that he will even get any to commit. All I said was it is not typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom