Desmond Conner tweets names a few candidates | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Desmond Conner tweets names a few candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
“@NoEscalators: Lembo or Narduzzi. All the money they want. Light Rentschler on fire before considering Schiano or Tedford.”

“@KevinRDuffy: @NoEscalators wouldn't worry about Schiano being considered”

Agreed with NoEscalators. I'd throw Mullen in with Lembo and Narduzzi. I have less than zero interest in Schiano. 50/50 on Tedford…we could do better, I think, but we could also do (and just did) a helluva lot worse.

Reaction Score
Jeff Tedford? Hell yes please.
I don't love west coast guys who try and coach in the east. I think they generally struggle with lots of things, culture, weather. It works in the NFL somewhat, but that is a function of having a wider schedule and players from all over. But I think Tedford would struggle to recruit, and struggle putting together the kind of offense you need to be successful here in November and December.

Reaction Score
Half of this board was also, there's a current post that suggets coach p is better than weist

Why the "hate"? Hate is too strong a word, more like lack of respect because he and his compadres acted as mouthpieces to PGDL and parroted their excuses for losing.

Reaction Score
Well, he's got the not so successful NFL head coach, no college background, and vowel from CT going for him ... Hathaway'd probably hire him ....

Comparing Mangini to P is silly. Mangini took an NFL team to the playoffs when he was 35. He had a 10 win season in the NFL and another 9 win season. P was just a defensive coordinator. Ask Greg Schiano how hard it is to win in the NFL. Bill Belichick also failed at Cleveland and that was with Saban on his staff.

Mangini is currently 42 or 5 years younger than Narduzzi (who has never been a head coach) and one year younger than Pete Lembo.

Warde should absolutely knock on Mangini's door to gauge interest. I think he has a great mind and would do very well recruiting. I'm not saying I would take him over Lembo but you need to interview more than one person. Mangini would certainly be a big name/attention getting hire especially in the northeast.

Mangini should be on the short list.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Comparing Mangini to P is silly. Mangini took an NFL team to the playoffs when he was 35. He had a 10 win season in the NFL and another 9 win season. P was just a defensive coordinator. Ask Greg Schiano how hard it is to win in the NFL. Bill Belichick also failed at Cleveland and that was with Saban on his staff.

Mangini is currently 42 or 5 years younger than Narduzzi (who has never been a head coach) and one year younger than Pete Lembo.

Warde should absolutely knock on Mangini's door to gauge interest. I think he has a great mind and would do very well recruiting. I'm not saying I would take him over Lembo but you need to interview more than one person. Mangini would certainly be a big name/attention getting hire especially in the northeast.

Mangini should be on the short list.
Mangini would be a TERRIBLE (it truly cannot be emphasized enough) hire. He alienates his players, He openly antagonizes opposing coaches, and all of his coaching experience is in the Pros, which makes him less suited for the recruiting game than Charlie Weis, who at least had a stint at South Carolina early in his career before going to Notre Dame almost 2 decades later.

True, Mangini had a 10 and 9 win season with the Jets, but only made the playoffs once and his other seasons (1 with the Jets, 2 with the Browns) as head coach were 4, 5, and 5 win campaigns, respectively. You mention Belichick with the Browns. That was BB's first stint as the head man. If Mangini came to UConn as the head coach, it would be his 3rd (and 1st at the FBS level). I'm against giving anyone with the above track record a 3rd chance with my alma mater that desperately needs a turnaround.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
God no to Mangini, period.

I dont understand the playing in Nov.-Dec comment; at most, we'd be talking 2-3 home games, likely 2. With this conference, we could be playing in TX, FL, TN, or NC come Nov-Dec.

I do understand the recruiting issues, but I think players these days are more attracted to style of play, winning, and facilities. We can offer the 3rd regardless of coach; we need someone to fill in the first 2. Can Tedford do that here? WTF knows. But recruits should be intrigued by the style of play. We have witnessed the type of skill recruits who come to play in a 3 yards and a cloud of dust scheme.

Reaction Score
gioff,

I htink if you look at west coast guys for some reason they don't tend to translate well in the northeast. Not exactly sure why, but I assume it is a weather thing. Its more than a couple of games. We can have sloppy Octobers, Could just as well be that they don't have the recruiting contacts. Could be something else. Just a pattern I've noticed over the years and Tedford has never coached out of view of the Pacific Ocean so I'd be concerned.

Reaction Score
Patern of what, of who? Who exactly are we talking about? I'm not disagreeing, I am just not seeing a lot of west coast to east coast migration in coaching ranks.

Reaction Score
The way to run the search is to toss some names out there to get people sniffing in the wrong places.

Reaction Score
Agreed with NoEscalators. I'd throw Mullen in with Lembo and Narduzzi. I have less than zero interest in Schiano. 50/50 on Tedford…we could do better, I think, but we could also do (and just did) a helluva lot worse.

@NoEscalators: Lembo or Narduzzi. All the money they want. Light Rentschler on fire before considering Schiano or Tedford.”

Agree with Noescalators, also...If we hire Schiano, it is a sign that we are going to Division 1AA. The Rent will look empty with 30 people in it!! (playing no name State)

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
gioff,

I htink if you look at west coast guys for some reason they don't tend to translate well in the northeast. Not exactly sure why, but I assume it is a weather thing. Its more than a couple of games. We can have sloppy Octobers, Could just as well be that they don't have the recruiting contacts. Could be something else. Just a pattern I've noticed over the years and Tedford has never coached out of view of the Pacific Ocean so I'd be concerned.
Free, you have a pont for sure, but I think of Trent Dilfer, David Carr, AJ Feeley, Joey Harrington,Aaron Rogers, and Kyle Boller, and think it is worth the risk.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I also heard from Navin R Johnson that he ran into Mangino at an all you can eat buffet somewhere near campus

"He hates these cans! STAY AWAY FROM THE CANS!!!

(It had to be done. And I'm not sorry about doing it one bit...)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Patern of what, of who? Who exactly are we talking about? I'm not disagreeing, I am just not seeing a lot of west coast to east coast migration in coaching ranks.
I agree there aren't that many but the ones I can think of, Shea at Rutgers, Walt Harris at Pitt, Robinson at the Cuse, they were all somewhere between not that good and terrible. there have been others, just that the names escape me, but none have really succeded. that makes me suspect of a west coast guy, though I concede that Tedford might have a more solid background than those other guys having been a head coach at a major program. I still want Pete Lembo, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom