DeShields to Play in Turkey. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DeShields to Play in Turkey.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
An excerpt from the article: " No official statement was made from DeShields, but Saturday night sources received an inside scoop on DeShields’ next move, while she attended the Wings game.

The newly-turned pro solidified her pro statements, saying she was headed to “Turkey in September” to continue her basketball career. She also added, while in conversation with another person that attended the game, that she would “be out here (Dallas) next year.” This conversation, was held after she asked a current Dallas Wings player, for the phone number of assistant coach Bridget Pettis".

According to the article, it sure sounds that way to me. It sounds like she's already picked her team.

YellwJcket999 & Bestiarius thanks for your input and clarification. It's appreciated.
LOL. I don't know why everyone is so confused. Of course she would be in Dallas next year as soon as she declares for WNBA draft. The team that drafts her will surely visit Dallas. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The CBA is very specific as to who is eligible, what defines eligibility, what defines free agent, rookie free agent, restricted/unrestricted free agent and what defines an international player. There is no scenario that applies that allows DD to negotiate directly with team for a contract (without having entered/eligible for a WNBA draft). She did not enter into this year's draft and thus she is not able to contract.

The 2014-21CBA is available online for review. I've provided a reproduction of the eligibilty section for everyone's review.

The drafters of the CBA are quite clear on eligibility (copy/paste in a doc and enlarge):

ARTICLE XIII PLAYER ELIGIBILITY AND WNBA DRAFT
Section 1. Player Eligibility.
(a) Only players who are women are eligible to play in the WNBA.
(b) A player is eligible to be selected in the WNBA Draft if she: (i) will be at least twenty-two (22) years old during the calendar year in which such Draft is held and she either has no remaining intercollegiate eligibility or renounces her remaining intercollegiate eligibility by written notice to the WNBA at least ten (10) days prior to such Draft; (ii) has graduated from a four-year college or university prior to such Draft, or “is to graduate” from such college or university within the three (3)-month period following such Draft and she either has no remaining intercollegiate eligibility or renounces her remaining intercollegiate eligibility by written notice to the WNBA at least ten (10) days prior to such Draft or (iii) attended a four-year college or university, her original class in such college or university has already been graduated or “is to graduate” within the three (3)-month period following such Draft, and she either has no remaining intercollegiate eligibility or renounces her remaining intercollegiate eligibility by written notice to the WNBA at least ten (10) days prior to such Draft. For purposes of subsection (b)(ii) above, “is to graduate” shall mean that such player would graduate from the college or university she is currently enrolled in if she were to successfully complete the coursework she is enrolled in at the time of such Draft and such course load is commensurate with the previous course loads she has successfully completed. For purposes of subsection (b)(iii) above, “is to graduate” shall mean that the majority of the students in such class would graduate from such college or university upon successful completion of the coursework the members of such class are enrolled in at the time of such Draft.
(c) A player who: (i) is competing in a NCAA season (including any NCAA Tournament) during the period that begins ten (10) days prior to a Draft; (ii) has remaining intercollegiate eligibility beyond the season in which she is currently competing; and (iii) is otherwise eligible for selection in such Draft, may make herself eligible for such Draft by renouncing her remaining intercollegiate eligibility within the period beginning at the conclusion of her final NCAA game in the season in which she is currently competing and ending twenty-four hours thereafter (but in no event later than three (3) hours prior to the Draft).
(d) Notwithstanding Section 1(b) above, an international player is eligible to be selected in the WNBA Draft if she will be at least 20 years old during the calendar year in which such Draft is held.
(e) For purposes of this Section 1, an “international player” means any person born and residing outside the United States who participates in the game of basketball as an amateur or a professional. An international player who exercises intercollegiate basketball eligibility in the United States shall be subject to the eligibility rules set forth in Section 1(b)(iii) above.
(f) No player may sign a Contract or play in the WNBA unless she has been eligible for selection in at least one (1) WNBA Draft.
(g) No player shall be eligible for selection in more than two (2) WNBA

Reaction Score
DD watches the WNBA closely. She may be under the impression that her situation (playing in Turkey) makes her a free agent such as Sami Whitcomb this season. The key difference between the two is that Sami was eligible/participated in 2010 draft and went unsigned. Thus she is/was able to contract directly with a team without going through this year's draft.

Reaction Score
I haven't heard a player can pick a WNBA team and hints she is headed to this team as a fresh rookie, not even DT, Sue, Maya, Tina and Stewie.

It is always better to keep quiet.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Deshields thinks she can pick her WNBA team, one way or the other. It's who she is.

And she may be right. Given her history, if she makes it clear she only wants to play for one team, who else is going to waste a pick on her?

Reaction Score
There are several posibilities of varying likelyhood for her making that statement .

1. They WNBA draft is rigged. I am pretty sure that it was in the past when the draft lottery was held behind closed doors. I'm less sure that it goes on today.
2. DeShields was told that she would be picked if she was available when Dallas got their turn.
3. She was told that Dallas would trade their No 1 picks for the next 5 years to any team that drafted her.
4. There's a "double secret princess rule" about which no one knows.
5. She sees herself at the level of EDD and Tina Charles and will demand a trade to Dallas.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Playing Devils Advocate---the key word is ELIGIBLE---she was eligible because of age-
it does not read that she MUST participate in a draft--only that she be ELIGIBLE
The WNBA is not stupid --they wrote ELIGIBLE and not MANDATORY for a reason.
Why must she have an agent? Or lawyer---they are used for people who can't work the process themselves or don't have the time--apparently Diamond has the time.
Yes, the key word is "eligible". Yet at no time last year did DD make herself eligible for selection. The fact is she seems to have strategically made herself draft eligible after the proceedings were finished. In actuality she will be eligible for selection during the next proceedings, unless the WNBA holds some special supplemental draft.

Reaction Score
We are talking about DD and her family ... correct?
I don't see her family been discussed here.
But, if her father steps in it will be in "National Enquirer" front page ...LOL

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
DD has a proclivity to make commitments only to change her mind at a later date. Turkey could end up being China, Russia or some distant planet near the Crab Nebula.

I agree with those who indicate that this story and DD's behavior is odd to say the least. Her emotional departure from TN gives me the impression that DD is a troubled young lady, who is basically on her own for the 1st time in her life and is struggling to figure things out.

Reaction Score
Hope things go smoothly for her.... she does not need any more unneeded drama....

I would prefer to play in Russia or China over Turkey...... just has seemed too unstable over there the last year.....

Reaction Score
Diamond definitely wants to play for Dallas. That is where her brother plays baseball. She has a fantasy about them living in the same city and playing professional.

Reaction Score
I wonder how The Wings will view her statement that she's playing for them next year? And before, apparently, she even bothered to contact anyone in the organization? Wonder how the other guards would view her inclusion?

In any event, her announcement, apparently without understanding, or bothering to find out, the process of joining a WNBA team, smacks of the same clumsiness and disregard for team and teammates that she displayed in her college days.

Not a wise announcement.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting thread and interesting puff piece of reporting with no direct or named sources and no basis in the actual rules of the WNBA.

That said, what seems concerning to me from afar based on her actions is that nothing she does ever seems to be based on the actual game of basketball - UNC was all about putting together a news worthy class which she left after one year to join her 'best friend' at TN where the up and down nature of her play seemed to be all about her. Now she is leaving TN because of other personal issues, and wants to play in Dallas because her brother is there, not because of her teammates or the team? Dallas is an interesting team, but they just jettisoned one dynamic high draft pick guard because sort of like their neighbor in SA they are strong at guard/wing type players while being weaker elsewhere. With DDs skill set, one could think of a number of better choices of good teams needing to strengthen their perimeter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Don't think that WNBA teams are lining up for her services. A very skilled player, but poison on any team!
A big upside and a big downside. Some GM with job security or on his/her way out would be most likely to pick Diamond.

Reaction Score
A big upside and a big downside. Some GM with job security or on his/her way out would be most likely to pick Diamond.
Or a coach/GM who thinks s/he can be the one to finally break through to her.

Fred Williams is a huge Angel McCoughtry fan, for what it's worth, so he's not disinclined toward dealing with ego.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
An excerpt from the article: " No official statement was made from DeShields, but Saturday night sources received an inside scoop on DeShields’ next move, while she attended the Wings game.

The newly-turned pro solidified her pro statements, saying she was headed to “Turkey in September” to continue her basketball career. She also added, while in conversation with another person that attended the game, that she would “be out here (Dallas WNBA) next year.” This conversation, was held after she asked a current Dallas Wings player, for the phone number of assistant coach Bridget Pettis".

This statement is more consistent when you assume the "here" refers the WNBA (vs Dallas specifically). I think there is no question as to her desire to play in the W, and I think the author and readers are over interpreting her comments.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom