Deshields staying at UT | The Boneyard

Deshields staying at UT

Reaction Score
An interesting decision. I wonder if:
1. it depends on who is in the draft this year: besides Plum, it doesn't seem like a strong draft; surely not stronger than next year
2. is it a way of thinking of maximizing one's long term marketability?

I don't think we can know, since n =1 here, but I'm trying to force some insight into whether this reflects at all on when Z makes a decision at the end of 2018 season.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm not invested in the feud enough for it matter to me that they've punched their ticket for another year of mediocrity. I do feel bad for the new kids stepping into that locker room, though.

Reaction Score
An interesting decision. I wonder if:
1. it depends on who is in the draft this year: besides Plum, it doesn't seem like a strong draft; surely not stronger than next year
2. is it a way of thinking of maximizing one's long term marketability?

I don't think we can know, since n =1 here, but I'm trying to force some insight into whether this reflects at all on when Z makes a decision at the end of 2018 season.

Two things come to mind--Maybe she unofficially tested the waters and didn't like the taste. Maybe she considers Plum more competition for the position she expects to play as a pro.
I guess that is marketability--but be assured next year n shall equal Z (if Azura opts for pro--which I doubt) Next year Aj'a, Gabby,
and a host of top player will be seeking some WNBA/Europe positions (as in jobs).

I'm not a Diamond hater---not a lover either--I think Nared is better for Tn---after not making the 16 this year does she think she and Freshmen will bring them an NC?? Of is her goal less lofty??

Reaction Score
i have to say...and please don't think i am crazy...but i was kinda let down when candace left early. i understood it completely BUT the result was a whole team of freshman who were expected to continue a dynasty. it was unfair to them. they needed candace to show them the way. the coaches should have staggered recruiting better back then too. that being said, having DD back will make all the difference in the world. the pressure to carry the team will not be there and shouldn't be there for an 18 yo. so HAPPY tonight. i always knew DD would not go out like that. she really cares about a college legacy. and whether you like her or not, the fact that she put her school and program before a potential number 1 draft pick says a lot about her maturity.

Reaction Score
Good for Diamond I hope she has a successful season next year. The Lady Vols again do not have the excuse of "no talent"
exactly. this will be holly's true test. i say she has 2 years max to hit FF. if we have another year like this year, she will be out.

Reaction Score
Two things come to mind--Maybe she unofficially tested the waters and didn't like the taste. Maybe she considers Plum more competition for the position she expects to play as a pro.
I guess that is marketability--but be assured next year n shall equal Z (if Azura opts for pro--which I doubt) Next year Aj'a, Gabby,
and a host of top player will be seeking some WNBA/Europe positions (as in jobs).

I'm not a Diamond hater---not a lover either--I think Nared is better for Tn---after not making the 16 this year does she think she and Freshmen will bring them an NC?? Of is her goal less lofty??

Nared is my favorite player. NEVER takes a possession off. relentless. however, nared and diamond feed off of each other. when DD was out, nared struggled and when nared is out, DD can struggle. i was worried about them playing together when DD came to TN but they are truly a great combo.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Good for Diamond I hope she has a successful season next year. The Lady Vols again do not have the excuse of "no talent"
Yes Holly will have a lot more options next year. Both in terms of who and when to play. Also the team can press and run more.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
i have to say...and please don't think i am crazy...but i was kinda let down when candace left early. i understood it completely BUT the result was a whole team of freshman who were expected to continue a dynasty. it was unfair to them. they needed candace to show them the way. the coaches should have staggered recruiting better back then too. that being said, having DD back will make all the difference in the world. the pressure to carry the team will not be there and shouldn't be there for an 18 yo. so HAPPY tonight. i always knew DD would not go out like that. she really cares about a college legacy. and whether you like her or not, the fact that she put her school and program before a potential number 1 draft pick says a lot about her maturity.

Very pleasantly surprised at Diamond deciding to come back, good for her though. It sounds like her head/heart are in a good place. I hope it pays dividends for Tennessee and I hope Diamond lives up to the hype.

Interesting point about Parker--I never thought about that before since it was such a foregone conclusion she was leaving in 2008 with her class. Having her on the 2009 team would've made a word of difference, but I think her and Diamond are in very different situations. Parker had won back to back titles, cementing herself as one of the all time greats, and really had nothing left to prove. She was a much more polished player than Diamond and was NPOY the prior two seasons. The option was stay another year and be the leader on a depleted roster, or go pro and start the next phase of her life. In the 4 months after college, she went on to the W where she was the #1 pick and WNBA MVP as a rookie, and also an integral player on the Olympic gold medal team. She was also getting married after college and had her daughter about a year later. Diamond still has a lot to prove as a player if she wants to leave behind a legacy.

Reaction Score
Very pleasantly surprised at Diamond deciding to come back, good for her though. It sounds like her head/heart are in a good place. I hope it pays dividends for Tennessee and I hope Diamond lives up to the hype.

Interesting point about Parker--I never thought about that before since it was such a foregone conclusion she was leaving in 2008 with her class. Having her on the 2009 team would've made a word of difference, but I think her and Diamond are in very different situations. Parker had won back to back titles, cementing herself as one of the all time greats, and really had nothing left to prove. She was a much more polished player than Diamond and was NPOY the prior two seasons. The option was stay another year and be the leader on a depleted roster, or go pro and start the next phase of her life. In the 4 months after college, she went on to the W where she was the #1 pick and WNBA MVP as a rookie, and also an integral player on the Olympic gold medal team. She was also getting married after college and had her daughter about a year later. Diamond still has a lot to prove as a player if she wants to leave behind a legacy.

i agree that parker made the right decision for her but the result left TN in a bad spot. the coaches should have recruited better in other years to keep the impact at a minimum. i rem pat saying she would never recruit huge classes again after that. the result? ball state. they certainly should have won that game but they needed upperclassman to soften the pressure. at any rate, i am very happy to see DD coming back!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
i agree that parker made the right decision for her but the result left TN in a bad spot. the coaches should have recruited better in other years to keep the impact at a minimum. i rem pat saying she would never recruit huge classes again after that. the result? ball state. they certainly should have won that game but they needed upperclassman to soften the pressure. at any rate, i am very happy to see DD coming back!

I'm pretty sure Candace made it clear from the get go she was staying for 4 years and then leaving. I don't think anyone viewed the decision as selfish since she was very upfront about it. There was a lot of talk about her leaving after her RS sophomore year. Everyone in the press kept asking if she was coming back or turning pro in the championship game press conference.

The huge class situation bit Tennessee in the butt big time after 08. That, coupled with injuries to McMahan, who was going to be their starting PG, and the ACL to Baugh, their best returning post, really hampered the 2009 team. They did have 5th year Alex Fuller on the team, but obviously she wasn't a star player and wasn't able to really lead the team.

Even if Diamond left, the incoming Tennessee class would have Nared, Russell, and Cooper (3rd year soph) to help relieve the pressure, so I don't think her staying is as impactful as it would have been if Candace stayed a 5th year, but I'm thrilled to have her back and hope she has an outstanding senior year.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Tennessee will have one of the most talented teams in the country.

Umm .... they already do! Only 5 can play at once. Somebody isn't going to play very much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom