Derrick Jones UNLV - Ineligible to play | The Boneyard

Derrick Jones UNLV - Ineligible to play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jeff BorzelloESPN Staff Writer
UNLV announces that Derrick Jones is ineligible to play; they were notified earlier this week that Jones' ACT score had been canceled. The freshman forward had been cleared to play in the fall.
I wonder how that affects their year's results (not that they were going anywhere). Glad we didn't get him now, would've been a kick to the crotch although he probably would've made us better. I'm sure he's one and done now. Been averaging 11.5 and 4.5, but playing pretty well the past month+.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
What does having an ACT score "cancelled" mean? Fraudulent?

Reaction Score
I'm guessing Fraudulent. Does he have to go to a juco next year now?

Reaction Score
I don't understand how the ACT can come back like a year later and cancel your test score. And without even talking to you or telling you what was going on. I'd be pretty mad if I were Jones.

Did they not talk to him?

Reaction Score
I don't understand how the ACT can come back like a year later and cancel your test score. And without even talking to you or telling you what was going on. I'd be pretty mad if I were Jones.

You wouldn't if you didn't actually take the ACT, which it seems might be the case here.

Reaction Score
Probably another damn nosey reporter ruining a career. Reporter asks player to spell his name, three minute delay leads to an investigation. Sad actually...

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Probably another damn nosey reporter ruining a career. Reporter asks player to spell his name, three minute delay leads to an investigation. Sad actually...
Ok you clearly must have been there, tell us everything.

Reaction Score
Did they not talk to him?
I just read the article again. I guess they did.

Jackson said Jones "was provided with three options: (1) voluntarily cancel his test score, (2) re-take the test or (3) submit his case to binding arbitration" and would have to pay a $200 filing fee.

"These options were unsatisfactory and were declined," Jackson wrote. "On at least five different occasions, ACT Test Security (at the urging of the NCAA Eligibility Center) attempted to coerce Jones to accept one of the three options. Neither the ACT nor the NCAA Eligibility Center has provided any evidence of academic fraud, nor have they alleged academic impropriety of any type. Further, no staffers or personnel from the testing site have been interviewed by the NCAA Eligibility Center or ACT during the course of their 'investigation.' Notably, all of the other student-athletes that were investigated were denied freshman eligibility; Mr. Jones has participated in thirty (30) UNLV basketball games and was previously deemed a "full qualifier" by the NCAA Eligibility Center."

Reaction Score
Looks like the NCAA invalidated a bunch of ACT tests score at a specific site in Baltimore. His dad is saying its race. Jones did have a 3.25 GPA at UNVL, though hard to tell if they were actual classes or UNLV 's version fo UNC classes. Without proof, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I suspect that this has more to do with the NCAA showing that it will enforce academics after several blotched cases (UNC) more than anything else.

Reaction Score
If you live in Philadelphia, why would you go to Baltimore to take the ACT test your one and only time? An option I presume, but who goes to another city to take one of these exams?

Ding, ding, ding

That being said, the testing services are at fault. They don't have evidence. This is the 21st century. It should not be very hard at all to prevent fraud. Why don't the test services prevent it easily. A photo of test-takers could even do it

Jones definitely has a good point there.

Unfortunately, he went down to Baltimore and took the test in a room full of other athletes, and the ACT detected a bunch of anomalous increases in scores.

Reaction Score
If you live in Philadelphia, why would you go to Baltimore to take the ACT test your one and only time? An option I presume, but who goes to another city to take one of these exams?

Het met Dave Rice there maybe?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Ding, ding, ding

That being said, the testing services are at fault. They don't have evidence. This is the 21st century. It should not be very hard at all to prevent fraud. Why don't the test services prevent it easily. A photo of test-takers could even do it

Jones definitely has a good point there.

Unfortunately, he went down to Baltimore and took the test in a room full of other athletes, and the ACT detected a bunch of anomalous increases in scores.
I think the Derrick Rose test case involved a similar issue, where he suddenly got a great score (although he had previous attempts) at a different city than where he lived.

Reaction Score

The answer is: there's an insider at the testing site who will allow me to take the ACT for a D1 athlete for $5000 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom