Derrick Jones Impressive Again | The Boneyard

Derrick Jones Impressive Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really want this guy -incredible athlete - he's at the top of my wish list with Adams already on board

Reaction Score
His handle is looser than Jenna Haze but it's pretty obvious how athletically gifted he is - when he leaves the ground on a few of those dunks it doesn't look like he'll even get close to the rim. Reminds me a bit of DeAndre with the smoothness and the length.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, in Borges' recruiting article from a couple of days ago Jones' coach said this:

"Myers added that Jones is “extremely athletic, and really knows how to play the game of basketball, as well. He understands the nuances of it. That’s the greatest thing about him. His upside can be tremendous, but he’s still scratching the surface. He’s so athletic, people don’t understand other things he can do because he wows you with his athleticism.”"

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20140709/uconn-coach-kevin-ollie-and-staff-hit-recruiting-trail

And then in the article linked above, they write this:

But the reality of his game at this point in his development is that there simply isn’t that much beyond his ability to jump. It looks like it’s starting to come along, as he knocked down a jumper off of a pick-and-roll on Thursday and got by his defender and to the rim in half court sets a couple of times as well. He still has work to do, but that’s a step in the right direction.
Here’s the thing about Jones right now: he hasn’t made the leap to where he’s taking a professional approach to his daily life as a basketball player. And that’s fine. He just turned 17 years old and he’s clearly still maturing into his body, as well as maturing as a person. The good news? He’s not concerned with media attention — he has no interest whatsoever in getting interviewed — and he’s yet to be jaded by a system that monetizes the sport.

You really have to stretch to reconcile the two different analysis.

Reaction Score
I've heard more reports leaning towards the 2nd analysis. He's an incredible athlete still learning to play the game. I think the first one is just his coach being prone to hyperbole when discussing his superstar player. However, he does seem to be progressing nicely, and I would love to see what KO can do with him

Reaction Score
From what I have seen from him it is somewhere inbetween. He is an incredible athlete. He also understands the game very well, on both ends of the court. He always seems to be in the right position; gets alot of easy baskets, never caught watching on D.

It's the skills that he is working and learning. Shooting, passing, dribbling. And if you've watched his progression this Summer alone you can tell he is putting in the work.

When I first saw him play I honestly thought he reminded of Victor Rudd and I wasn't all that impressed. The more I watched the more I realized I was wrong. With our coaching staff I think he just gets better and better.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The defense at the break out classic lol. You guys watch that video?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Like fire? 1 like to whoever identifies that reference first.
I was gonna say OldDirtyBastard. "Me and Mariah, go back like babies with pacifiers. Ol' Dirt Dog no liar, keep your fantasy hot like fire."

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This guy reminds me of a cross between Shaquille Johnson and Deron Washington. Energy guy - I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom