Derek Jeter officially in the HOF | The Boneyard

Derek Jeter officially in the HOF

Reaction Score
Much to nobody's surprise, The Captain was voted into the Hall Of Fame. I hope people don't get wrapped around the axle of him not being voted in unanimously as 99.7% is pretty freaking good. That said, I can't imagine the rationale behind not putting him on your ballot. I can accept the argument that he's not, to steal a Bill Simmon's reference, a Mt. Rushmore type of player, but how do you rationalize not putting that guy in?

Either way, congrats #2, a great Yankee.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Congrats to Jeter. He earned this honor every day he played.

As to not being unanimous, I'm not surprised. Only one person did not vote for The Captain. So be it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Congrats to Jeter. He earned this honor every day he played.

As to not being unanimous, I'm not surprised. Only one person did not vote for The Captain. So be it.
Well deserved and an ego trip for the writer who didn’t say aye to an obvious HOFer.

Reaction Score
It's always been a joke that there weren't 100% votes for obvious players. Think about the fact that Ted Williams only got 93% of the vote. Guy has a .400 season, 520 HR's, serves 5 years of his baseball career in 2 wars. Yeah I know he hated the media, but come on

Reaction Score
Anybody able to find the person who didn't put a yes to him on his ballot? I uabe not seen the official balloting results if they are made public. I am a Yankees fan and while I am not griping, I am just curious. Albeit in the same way for who abstains from balloting in Brady in the NFL HOF on his first try. As much as I oppose the Pats, anyone who doesn't give him a vote first shot needs a bit of medication as well.

Congrats Captain.

Reaction Score
Anybody able to find the person who didn't put a yes to him on his ballot? I uabe not seen the official balloting results if they are made public. I am a Yankees fan and while I am not griping, I am just curious. Albeit in the same way for who abstains from balloting in Brady in the NFL HOF on his first try. As much as I oppose the Pats, anyone who doesn't give him a vote first shot needs a bit of medication as well.

Congrats Captain.
Question answered...
Screenshot_20200121-222724_Google News.jpg

Reaction Score
We go through this every time there's a no-brainer HOF on the ballot. It's not that difficult to comprehend.

Getting 100% unanimous votes in is rarified air. The 1 guy who didn't vote for him isn't necessarily saying he doesn't deserve to be in....but that he doesn't deserve to be a unanimous entry.

Based on other players from the past who "should have been" unanimous, that's not far fetched. You could argue that a lot of his accolades were subjective (all star appearances, gold gloves), circumstance (played for the Yankees in a dynasty period, not the San Diego Padres) and overrated (known for things like the "flip play" or "being clutch" which aren't quantifiable over a career.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Well Patrick, because during his prime, he wasn't even the best shortstop on his side of the infield.

In all seriousness, there was no way Jeter wasn't gaining induction into the HoF and there was little chance of it not being on his first ballot.

It is completely reasonable that the voter deemed 11 players HoF worthy and since Jeter was a shoe-in...There ya go.

Holy Cow!!! That's twice in less than 24 hours that I agree with @Deepster. Wonders just will not ever cease ;).

Reaction Score
Imagine the poor Yankee fans having to deal with the fact that ONE person out of 400 didn't think Derek Jeter was a first ballot hall of famer! I definitely would make this story more about that than anything else. It is the best way to hide the coverage of Jeter's disastrous tenure with the Marlins.

Reaction Score
Ken Griffey Jr getting 397 of 400 of the vote is even more ridiculous, as it is I'm fine with Mariano being the only unanimous HOF. I can respect the voters opinion if he comes forward, I can't respect it if hes in hiding.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well deserved and an ego trip for the writer who didn’t say aye to an obvious HOFer.
I say well done to that guy. It's not like Jeter didn't get in. A true dirt bag move is not putting a pitcher on your Top 10 MVP ballot saying you don't think pitchers deserve the MVP...after putting an inferior performance by a hometown pitcher on the ballot the year before.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I say well done to that guy. It's not like Jeter didn't get in. A true dirt bag move is not putting a pitcher on your Top 10 MVP ballot saying you don't think pitchers deserve the MVP...after putting an inferior performance by a hometown pitcher on the ballot the year before.
Whatever. It’s an ego trip.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with it whatsoever. Rivera set the standard for the first and only unanimous vote. Mo was the very best, bar none, at his position in the history of the game. Period. Jeter was not. Period.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Congrats Captain.

like bonds and Clemens didn’t get in on the first try?

seeing how the voters treat altuve and Bergman in 20 years will be interesting as well.

Reaction Score
like bonds and Clemens didn’t get in on the first try?

seeing how the voters treat altuve and Bergman in 20 years will be interesting as well.
Tricky with those guys. I'm in the school of thought that says you cheat or use roids you get the asterix (or whatever denotation you wanna badge soneone with a roid finding) by your stats for that year. Bonds, Pettite, Sosa, Palmiero, McGuire, A-Roid, etc. Hell, if Charley Hustle has paid the price this long, lots of other folks should pay as well.

All I wanted to see was if the votes were public like the AP is. I found out they are not.

Reaction Score

Well Patrick, because during his prime, he wasn't even the best shortstop on his side of the infield.

In all seriousness, there was no way Jeter wasn't gaining induction into the HoF and there was little chance of it not being on his first ballot.

It is completely reasonable that the voter deemed 11 players HoF worthy and since Jeter was a shoe-in...There ya go.

Holy Cow!!! That's twice in less than 24 hours that I agree with @Deepster. Wonders just will not ever cease ;).

Quite frankly he wasn't even the best player on the Yankees in any year he played for them. Clearly a HOFer but usually overrated for what he really was

the Q

Reaction Score
Tricky with those guys. I'm in the school of thought that says you cheat or use roids you get the asterix (or whatever denotation you wanna badge soneone with a roid finding) by your stats for that year. Bonds, Pettite, Sosa, Palmiero, McGuire, A-Roid, etc. Hell, if Charley Hustle has paid the price this long, lots of other folks should pay as well.

All I wanted to see was if the votes were public like the AP is. I found out they are not.

brady cheated, he’ll get in on the first ballot despite being a cheater in addition to being a beneficiary of astros like cheating.

bonds and Clemens are better than Brady

Reaction Score
brady cheated, he’ll get in on the first ballot despite being a cheater in addition to being a beneficiary of astros like cheating.

Except it's not the same and they desecrated the game for personal gain when they were already clear HOFers.

I'm on the fence if they should be let in. Maybe create a wing for those types

the Q

Reaction Score
Except it's not the same and they desecrated the game for personal gain when they were already clear HOFers.

I'm on the fence if they should be let in. Maybe create a wing for those types

you’re right. Brady was benefiting from cheating well before he was a hall of famer

Husky25

Reaction Score

Queue the "Billy-Madison-We-are-all-dumber-for-having-read-that" meme.

the Q

Reaction Score
Queue the "Billy-Madison-We-are-all-dumber-for-having-read-that" meme.

You dislike facts. This is a pretty simple one. He is the one who tried to make the argument.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You dislike facts. This is a pretty simple one. He is the one who tried to make the argument.
You were looking in a mirror when you typed this?

the Q

Reaction Score
You were looking in a mirror when you typed this?

Very clever.

getting defensive over a cheater you’ve never met. Fantastic.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Very clever.

getting defensive over a cheater you’ve never met. Fantastic.

A bit of projection there, huh?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom