Depth Chart is Up/Wilbert Lee | The Boneyard

Depth Chart is Up/Wilbert Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tells us almost nothing on Offense. Actually tells us exactly nothing -- it's the same as it has been, including listing Hinckley (who left the game hurt Saturday as the starting FB. On D, Joseph and Jennings are now an "or" at DE and Wilburn will start for the injured Blidi, with Mack backing up both sides at corner (there's a bit of a slap for Lopes and Brandon, don't you think).

The most important thing I noted in the media guide, however, is that Wilbert Lee won Scout player of the week listed as a TB, not a S. (This regime only announces Scout players of the week after wins -- we used to do it every week.) I like that a lot. We have three other DBs redshirting (Clark, Stevenson and Adams) and could always move Delorenzo there as well. If Lee is an athlete, and gives us a bigger look at TB, I'm all for seeing if this works. Frankly, I wouldn't totally rule out seeing him get a shot this year, since we don't be anxious to give anyone else a real shot.

Reaction Score
The QB positino will always dominate the news, but the biggest concern for this offense all along has been the RB position. McCombs has done very well, but I've got doubts that the young man is physically ready to be a 2,000 yard rusher and an every down back. I'm sure he hurts like hell getting out of bed in the morning every day now, and we're only 4 games in, and I love him for getting out there and trying to block the LB's and DE's coming in with a full head of steam on pass plays in addition to carrying the pig. We need to find a way to get this guy some rest as the season goes on. I'm glad to see they're plugging new names in around the roster.

Reaction Score
My guess is the other RB's, including DJ, can't hold onto the ball in practice. Otherwise, we would see someone giving McCombs a break from time to time.

Reaction Score
Lee rushed for just under 1,000 yards as a HS senior. Even though he signed on as a safety, safe to say he is an athlete and may provide some depth on the RB side.

Reaction Score
OK, now I'm totally confused... How on earth is Wilbert Lee listed atop the depth chart at CB ( replacing Blidi, who is hurt )? First off he came as a safety, then he gets scout player of the week as a running back... How the hell does that translate to him as starter for CB? Is he the jack of all trades? or is Coach P pulling our legs?

Reaction Score
OK, now I'm totally confused... How on earth is Wilbert Lee listed atop the depth chart at CB ( replacing Blidi, who is hurt )? First off he came as a safety, then he gets scout player of the week as a running back... How the hell does that translate to him as starter for CB? Is he the jack of all trades? or is Coach P pulling our legs?

???? I said Wilburn was starting at CB. Gary Wilburn, the RS Sr. from GA who played HS ball with Meme.

Reaction Score
my bad Bizlaw... Misunderstood ... I see WILBURN is in for Blidi...

Reaction Score
I was hoping Mack got the start at CB. I'm all for Lee getting a few touches at TB. Most importantly, I'm hoping the passing game comes to life. There have been glimmers of hope with Williams and I Moore having good recent performances. Let's hope this continues.

Reaction Score
i hate to bash any player...but i just cant see what wilburn has done in ANY season to deserve playing time outside of ST. he's constantly getting beat in coverage, and he's an average tackler at best for a CB.

does anyone see what it is ??? i was sure we would see Mack in there if there was ever an issue with a CB.

Reaction Score
Somebody has to spell McCombs. They seem not to want to do it even during mop up time.

Reaction Score
i hate to bash any player...but i just cant see what wilburn has done in ANY season to deserve playing time outside of ST. he's constantly getting beat in coverage, and he's an average tackler at best for a CB.

does anyone see what it is ??? i was sure we would see Mack in there if there was ever an issue with a CB.

Second that, while he's got good size and I love his hits his speed (or lack thereof) just kills me.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They have to find someone else to get in the mix at running back. UConn can't continue running only McCombs

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Shoemate must not have had any luck fixing his ball security issues otherwise he would definitely be getting more time at least in pass protection. You have to think that the staff just isn't impressed enough with JJL to give him any significant carries otherwise we would have seen him more by now. Maybe the game is too fast for any of the other Freshmen at this point, who knows.

All we can say for certain is that McCombs will eventually wear down (almost 100% of backs not named Donald would) if he is constantly getting 95% of the carries all season. Even Todman who was more developed physically and was better at rolling with contact during his JR season battled injuries all year. We really just need someone to be able to come in and get 5-10 carries while providing some decent pass protection. Shoemate could definitely be that guy if he could just hold on to the ball. I think we were all hoping that he would have improved in that area but my guess is he hasn't otherwise he would be getting more time (this is of course assuming he has fully recovered from his injury).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom