Depleted France roster will rely heavily on Gabby in FIBA worlds | The Boneyard

Depleted France roster will rely heavily on Gabby in FIBA worlds

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Captain and leading scorer in the blue jersey, Sandrine Gruda, was forced to withdraw from the squad due to a left calf injury, while Olivia Epoupa and Valeriane Vukosavljevic will both also be absent.

Throw in the small fact that France is sat in a group alongside Serbia, Mali, Japan, Canada and Australia - of which two will fail to progress to the quarterfinals, there will be little doubt that the Olympic bronze medallists will be counting on their fresh, young WNBA talent (Gabby) to be at her best if they want to taste glory in Sydney.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice article. Title of it is...

FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022: Kobe Bryant protege Gabby Williams keystone for France

Good for Gabby. It's really quite a glowing article about how good she is and how much France will need her if they hope to advance out of their pool. Hope she kills it!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I did not really know that Gabby was personally close to Kobe - Gia.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I did not really know that Gabby was personally close to Kobe - Gia.
I had heard that Lou was Gigi's favorite player (Huntington Beach is near Newport Beach), but also that Gabby was Gigi's favorite. Check out the photos of Gabby with Kobe and Gigi.

Recall that Gabby was nearly an Olympian at age 15, tying the U.S. age-group record in the high jump at a little over 6'2". Then--after 2 ACL tears--she became an Olympic Bronze Medalist in 2020/21 in basketball. Don't count her out!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nice article. Title of it is...

FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup 2022: Kobe Bryant protégé Gabby Williams keystone for France

Good for Gabby. It's really quite a glowing article about how good she is and how much France will need her if they hope to advance out of their pool. Hope she kills it!!!
A small side note......it's a known fact to some but not to all that Gabby is totally fluent in the French language and has been for a number of years. :) Williams was born in the United States, but her mother was French and she had extended family in France, so she qualified for inclusion on the French national team.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A small side note......it's a known fact to some but not to all that Gabby is totally fluent in the French language and has been for a number of years. :) Williams was born in the United States, but her mother was French and she had extended family in France, so she qualified for inclusion on the French national team.

Yes, Gabby is quite fluent in French. She also has more relatives in France than the U.S., I believe. Her connection to France is real and strong. I need to go see her, Lou, et al. play in Europe in the winter/spring.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes, Gabby is quite fluent in French. She also has more relatives in France than the U.S., I believe. Her connection to France is real and strong. I need to go see her, Lou, et al. play in Europe in the winter/spring.
Google lists Gabby as a "American-French" professional basketball player.

Google - Gabrielle Lisa Williams is an American-French professional basketball player for the Seattle Storm of the Women's National Basketball Association. She was drafted 4th overall by the Chicago Sky in the 2018 WNBA draft. Wikipedia

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Google lists Gabby as a "American-French" professional basketball player.

Google - Gabrielle Lisa Williams is an American-French professional basketball player for the Seattle Storm of the Women's National Basketball Association. She was drafted 4th overall by the Chicago Sky in the 2018 WNBA draft. Wikipedia
Every time I see that name, Gabrielle, I am taken aback. I have to stop and think, are they talking about Gabulous, aka Spooky, aka Mocha Trappucino??

Reaction Score
In Gabby's "exit" interview she spoke quite a bit about the prioritization clause, which will be in effect in 2023. Sounds like she would have to go with the money. Players like Stewart and Vandersloot signed only 1 year contracts this season, apparently in response to this new clause. Something's got to give, or the WNBA will be in trouble.

Reaction Score
In Gabby's "exit" interview she spoke quite a bit about the prioritization clause, which will be in effect in 2023. Sounds like she would have to go with the money. Players like Stewart and Vandersloot signed only 1 year contracts this season, apparently in response to this new clause. Something's got to give, or the WNBA will be in trouble.
If the WNBA doesn't do something Stewie, J Jones and some other well known players won' t be playing next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom