Depending On Where She Goes, Crystal Dangerfield Could Be The Steal Of The Draft | The Boneyard

Depending On Where She Goes, Crystal Dangerfield Could Be The Steal Of The Draft

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Depending On Where She Goes, Crystal Dangerfield Could Be The Steal Of The Draft
Katie Davidson (Minnesota Lynx writer0

Early mock drafts predicted Dangerfield would be a first-round draft pick, but she’ll likely fall to the second round given how fellow point guards Tyasha Harris and Chennedy Carter finished their 2019-20 seasons.
If Dangerfield is still available when the Lynx select their No. 16 overall pick, they shouldn’t hesitate to bring her aboard. It’s no secret that UConn players have a history of transitioning well to the WNBA, and the Lynx were reminded of that just last season when No. 6 pick Collier was named the 2019 Rookie of the Year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Early mock drafts predicted Dangerfield would be a first-round draft pick, but she’ll likely fall to the second round given how fellow point guards Tyasha Harris and Chennedy Carter finished their 2019-20 seasons.
If Dangerfield is still available when the Lynx select their No. 16 overall pick, they shouldn’t hesitate to bring her aboard. It’s no secret that UConn players have a history of transitioning well to the WNBA, and the Lynx were reminded of that just last season when No. 6 pick Collier was named the 2019 Rookie of the Year.

I'll be stunned if she's available at 16, should go higher. She's undersized at 5-5 but could be a quality backup PG with her ability to make good decisions and hit deep shots.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Crystal is Badass, in a very good way. She can make a team a lot better. If she winds up in Minnesota, Syl and Phee will kill the opposition on the pick and roll. Crystal really likes to push the pace, can hit from deep, and makes almost all her FTs.

Reaction Score
Crystal is Badass, in a very good way. She can make a team a lot better. If she winds up in Minnesota, Syl and Phee will kill the opposition on the pick and roll. Crystal really likes to push the pace, can hit from deep, and makes almost all her FTs.
Low first round or high second, Crystal will be a solid pro. I view her as a first off the bench asset that will accelerate her team's energy and performance.

Reaction Score

If CD is not drafted top 10, she is a steal. To me the best pg in the draft.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Crystal is incredibly talented. Her ability to distribute the ball and knock down shots from the cheap seats will make her a very good pro. Crystal’s toughness will be a major component of her success at the next level.

At the same time, Crystal’s size will be a vulnerability in the pros. Bigger guards will back her down in the paint as we saw with both Ionescu & Harris. For that reason, I see Crystal primarily as an up tempo option off the bench.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't Moriah Jefferson give some guidance as to what kind of pro Crystal will be? They are pretty similar I think.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wouldn't Moriah Jefferson give some guidance as to what kind of pro Crystal will be? They are pretty similar I think.
Mo is a little longer than Crystal. But the problem in comparing the two is that Mo’s career has been largely curtailed by injuries so far.

Reaction Score
Crystal is incredibly talented. Her ability to distribute the ball and knock down shots from the cheap seats will make her a very good pro. Crystal’s toughness will be a major component of her success at the next level.

At the same time, Crystal’s size will be a vulnerability in the pros. Bigger guards will back her down in the paint as we saw with both Ionescu & Harris. For that reason, I see Crystal primarily as an up tempo option off the bench.
I disagree with you about her so-called 'vulnerability'. Oregon was just 1 game. IMO she had little choice but to try and score whenever she could, since no one else seemed to be hitting shots (except Anna). She 'boldly went where no (wo)man had gone before'! :) AND put up 19 points! Not bad for a point guard that was told to be a scorer! :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I disagree with you about her so-called 'vulnerability'. Oregon was just 1 game. IMO she had little choice but to try and score whenever she could, since no one else seemed to be hitting shots (except Anna). She 'boldly went where no (wo)man had gone before'! :) AND put up 19 points! Not bad for a point guard that was told to be a scorer! :rolleyes:
I’m clearly not talking about Crystal’s offense. She was outstanding on offense all season. Her vulnerability is on defense, and it was not just one game. As I point out, she had her hands full with both Ionescu & Harris backing her down in the paint when she was on defense. In the W there are a bunch of big guards who will all try to take Crystal inside. She is a tremendous player, but as everyone knows, you can’t teach height.

Reaction Score
I’m clearly not talking about Crystal’s offense. She was outstanding on offense all season. Her vulnerability is on defense, and it was not just one game. As I point out, she had her hands full with both Ionescu & Harris backing her down in the paint when she was on defense. In the W there are a bunch of big guards who will all try to take Crystal inside. She is a tremendous player, but as everyone knows, you can’t teach height.
That is the major question mark for her. How well she will be able to match up with the big guards in the WNBA. That is a problem that every smaller guard has at that level. She is also not sturdily built either. It isn't just a matter of height, but also size and strength. She needs to get on the right team that is able to use her strengths to their and her advantage.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is the major question mark for her. How well she will be able to match up with the big guards in the WNBA. That is a problem that every smaller guard has at that level. She is also not sturdily built either. It isn't just a matter of height, but also size and strength. She needs to get on the right team that is able to use her strengths to their and her advantage.
Agree on the matchup issue, but I would point out that Crystal was, pound for pound, the strongest player on UConn’s team. I know that doesn’t help a lot when you’re 5’6” and someone like Steph hits you with a blindside screen.

Reaction Score
True, her height can be a disadvantage, but she is very quick and has the potential to be very disruptive, especially with steals. I never considered MoJeff's defense to be inadequate.

Reaction Score
As to how much her height and physique would be a handycap on defense, it all depends on the other players on the floor with her vs the teams they are matched up against. Especially the inside defensive presence playing behind them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
True, her height can be a disadvantage, but she is very quick and has the potential to be very disruptive, especially with steals. I never considered MoJeff's defense to be inadequate.
Mo Jeff was National DPOY. She's at least 1" taller than Crystal and has a noticeably bigger wingspan. Crystal tries to compensate with her quickness and IQ.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Mo, shut down defender, much better driver into the paint, faster, better handle

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom