DePaul ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

DePaul ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Nice win for the good guys.
  2. Somehow we won the rebounding battle by 10, despite Whalley's worst game in 2 seasons and Sanogo's general infectiveness.
  3. Josh picked a perfect time to have a double double and actually be the dominant big man on the floor.
  4. We did let them get back even on the offensive boards late after leading the rebounding at both ends most of the game. Still won the overall battle of the boards by 10, which is a good night any night.
  5. I always felt comfortable waiting on Martin's game to come around. Something about Hurley's confidence in him rung true to me. I hope we see lots more of Tyrese in beast mode! Part of it may have been because they were so worried about Bouk. Triple teaming a guard that's jitterbugging through traffic has to take its toll on the rest of your defense.
  6. Around 13 minutes left in the game, the Martin & Bouk consecutive breakaway dunks are the highlight sequence of our season so far. I swear the three guys chasing after Bouk slowed up to watch what he was going to do. They be fans, too. To me, the steal with the around the back dribble was more impressive than the dunk. The move looked organic -- like it was built into his DNA. He didn't think about it, he just went around the back naturally, because? Because I don't know why. Because it made the play work, I guess.
  7. I couldn't help but get a little concerned with 8 minutes or so to go and we turned into a cross between the Keystone Kops and the Washington Generals for a few minutes. I still knew we wouldn't lose, but I don't like the lack of concentration that leads to 4 consecutive TOs.
  8. Ricky Springs sighting! 1 board and 1 made FT in 1 minute. I know he's way down in the garbage time section of the rotation, but to me this kid looks like a basketball player. Brown on the other hand, looked kinda like he was trying hard not to do anything wrong.
  9. When Tyler made his first two shots, I thought he was going to have a big night. Not so much.
  10. Point guard issues. 14 assists on 30 made baskets, is not a good ratio. Hate to say it, but Cole should only shoot enough to keep the defense honest. He made two circus shots early, and one three pointer late, but other than that one three, all his shots looked like prayers. Thankfully, he only took 7 shots. At least he had a half dozen assists tonight! We are only going to go as far as Cole and Gaffney take us, and they are both limited. I had hopes of getting some point-forward assists from Jackson, but it looks like we may not see him again until some time in February. What happened to the Gaffney that was playing so well during our late run last year?
  11. Was it just me, or was anyone else overcome by a sense of calm confidence with about 8 and a half to go in the first half. I'll admit, I went into the game unsure of how we were going to play. (See my pregame haiku) But I think it was on Polley's 3 pointer, we went up 20 to 11, and any thought that the game was going to be competitive completely vanished. I never felt like there was even a sliver of a chance of losing after that point.
  12. Bouk is an 80% FT shooter. That's a pretty good number, but I think he'll be spending a lot more time at the FT line as the season goes on. If he can improve to Bazz/Vital as seniors level FT shooting (87/90), it could mean a few more wins for us.
  13. Damn. We don't play again until next year. Hurley's still shopping for a game to fill the gap.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure who was scoring the game last night, but we had way more than 14 assists if you go back and watch it. I’m guessing they didn’t give us credit for a lot of the dump downs to Carlton since he may have dribbled a couple of times, but those should be assists. It was closer to 18-20 last night. And for those complaining about Cole as our pg, he completely set the tempo and had about 5-6 assists in the first 10 mins that allowed us to build that 10 point lead including finding Gaffney, Polley and Adam’s all for open 3’s. Cole also had another beautiful pass to Whaley who missed an open shot that was cleaned up by Martin. Maybe I’m in the minority but I’m pretty happy with our pg play.

Reaction Score
Whaley and Gaffney had poor games. Cole and Polley had so so games, Bouk was somewhat pedestrian last night, Akok and AJ are out and we still blew them out. We've got weapons, backups and skills at every position.

Team is still growing and learning each other.

Imagine when our A game comes around and we're clickin on all cylinders.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  1. Around 13 minutes left in the game, the Martin & Bouk consecutive breakaway dunks are the highlight sequence of our season so far. I swear the three guys chasing after Bouk slowed up to watch what he was going to do. They be fans, too. To me, the steal with the around the back dribble was more impressive than the dunk. The move looked organic -- like it was built into his DNA. He didn't think about it, he just went around the back naturally, because? Because I don't know why. Because it made the play work, I guess.

Could someone please explain to me how it's not a walk when you throw a behind the back pass, run it down yourself after 3 or 4 strides and then start dribbling?

Reaction Score
Yes, Polley only had 5 points last night, but those 5 points from him would have made the difference between winning and losing the Creighton game. It just goes to show the potential of this team when its firing on all cylindars. Cannnot wait to get Akok back.

Reaction Score
Yes, Polley only had 5 points last night, but those 5 points from him would have made the difference between winning and losing the Creighton game. It just goes to show the potential of this team when its firing on all cylindars. Cannnot wait to get Akok back.

Everybody who couldn't throw the ball into the lake from the dock against Creighton shot at least o.k. yesterday. If last night's Cole or Adams shows up as well -- much less Martin or Carlton -- we beat Creighton comfortably.

Reaction Score
Could someone please explain to me how it's not a walk when you throw a behind the back pass, run it down yourself after 3 or 4 strides and then start dribbling?
Because it wasn't a behind the back pass, it was a behind the back dribble.

Reaction Score

After throwing the ball forward, aren't you allowed a couple steps to gather? It was after he dribbled again that he may have walked. For me, what he did before was not a walk.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
#6. Completely agree. The steal, behind the back and acceleration was the pro move

Reaction Score
Not sure who was scoring the game last night, but we had way more than 14 assists if you go back and watch it. I’m guessing they didn’t give us credit for a lot of the dump downs to Carlton since he may have dribbled a couple of times, but those should be assists. It was closer to 18-20 last night. And for those complaining about Cole as our pg, he completely set the tempo and had about 5-6 assists in the first 10 mins that allowed us to build that 10 point lead including finding Gaffney, Polley and Adam’s all for open 3’s. Cole also had another beautiful pass to Whaley who missed an open shot that was cleaned up by Martin. Maybe I’m in the minority but I’m pretty happy with our pg play.

There were also a handful of "should have been assists". Bouknight had a couple drives where he drew the defense and dumped the ball off to (I think) a not ready Carlton. Also, I think it was Cole that got into a seam near the foul line and threaded a beautiful pass leading Carlton who, again, wasn't ready or expecting it and it went out of bounds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom