DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Excuse me but Morrow fouled at least 5 times and didn't get called. She got the Michael Jordan treatment. She literally shoved people out of the way overtly. Overtly elbowed people in the ribs as if she were Mike Tyson and didn't get called. To a significant degree she's a dirty player. I'm sorry but that's how I saw it. She may not realize it but she was full bore Detroit Pistons circa Dennis Rodman era.
Agree completely. So happy we win.

Reaction Score
Morrow is the real deal. She plays with incredible savvy, poise and toughness for a freshman. I know recruiting rankings should never be considered gospel. But please tell me how in god’s name Morrow was not even listed among Hoopgurlz top 100 players for 2021?
She was injured for most of her senior year, but she was a monster as a Junior playing Simeon, which has a legendary Boys program (Derrick Rose). It’s totally ridiculous, but Doug Bruno hardly ever misses finding Gold in Chicagoland. Absolutely everybody goes to his basketball camp every summer in middle school. My daughter went twice.

Reaction Score
Paige scared the hell out of me on one of UCONN's last baskets. She jumped so high off the ground & came down full force on her leg. Someone has to remind her to restrain herself. I admire her leadership & team spirit, but she doesn't need another setback.

Reaction Score
They revealed the 4 guard lineup I proposed last week and it worked until they played Edwards and Nika the whole time. At the end it fell apart but with the right personnel it was clicking and should enable more shots for Azzi from the 3 and they should be more able to cut off the opposing side's 3 pointers which ended up at 28% overall. What they couldn't stop was Morrow one on one. Major flaws in the implementation. Lots of criticism when I proposed it and the very next game Geno implemented a form of it.

Reaction Score
A good win on the road - agree with most of the discussion above but;
a 6'1" freshman center should not dominate a 6'5" senior center. Morrow is tough as nails and works very hard for position and hustles constantly. You must respond in kind.
Lay ups. lay ups. lay ups - make the damn bunnies.
Said this in a previous discussion - GO AFTER LOOSE BALLS AND REBOUNDS, don't wait for them to come to you.
Have you ever seen a UConn team have trouble getting ball inbounds?
What's going on with Edwards?
Dorka is still getting good post position, but there is too much dribble up front and guards not getting the ball to her at the right time
Caroline and Azzi, along with Paige back are going to take this team far.

Reaction Score
Wow what a game, still some head scratching moments but I saw lots of things to build on. Azzi, CD, Dorka and CW were great, not perfect but got things done when needed. Liv had her hands full with Morrow. The only thing better than getting out of there with the W is getting out w/o any injuries. AE sat the second half but can't say she deserved to get back in based on her play. I hope she gets her head together because the team will need her going forward

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just wow!

This was a great game for a lot of reasons. Had to overcome a dreadful 2nd quarter, as well as the disappearing act from Edwards, 2 awful TO's towards the end of the game, and Liv getting completely overwhelmed by a freshman.

But I tell you what - Williams - she was just great. Dorka battled her butt off. And the 2 freshmen - the future of UCONN - were just sensational.

I almost got choked up seeing Azzi enter the game. And this might be the first time she has been healthy since the summer.

BTW the refs were dreadful. I almost never complain about that but just yuck.

Can't say enough about what a tough and gutty win that was. WOW!!
Oldude called it. This was truly a “gut check” game. DePaul gave us everything they had. A lot of posters have been calling for tougher competition in league play. We got it tonight. UConn showed me something tonight. I’m impressed!!

The crystal ball was working today. I predicted that Christyn would play 28+ minutes, that Morrow would have a double double, and a 2 point margin of victory for UConn 81-79.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. This was the best version of Christyn. She was aggressive and didn't jack up 3's
2. Azzi-uhhhhhh, I had my doubts. But she is smooth.
3. Caroline is just a gamer.
4. Morrow is ummmmmmm, spirited and a little much. She could've fouled out 4 times and I bet the next time we play them our defenders will be much more prepared.
5. Dorka did some great things in the second half.
6. The refs were atrocious.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Morrow fouled out in their loss against Notre Dame. And one of the refs from tonight did that game. Amazing isn't it? I'm guessing if DePaul payed SC , Morrow would get 4 fouls by half time.

Reaction Score
Excuse me but Morrow fouled at least 5 times and didn't get called. She got the Michael Jordan treatment. She literally shoved people out of the way overtly. Overtly elbowed people in the ribs as if she were Mike Tyson and didn't get called. To a significant degree she's a dirty player. I'm sorry but that's how I saw it. She may not realize it but she was full bore Detroit Pistons circa Dennis Rodman era.
Don’t forget her flops. Which are smart for a freshman but that’s also how she hurt herself

Reaction Score
Geno keeping Dorka out probably saved this game. He saw the way they were calling fouls in the post, she had two fouls and he saved those for the 4th qt. She is a very effective rebounder. Believe it or not BY, he knows what he's doing!!!

Reaction Score
Azzi looked great though didn't she. One horrible pass but lots of solid plays. I would like to see her get 30 plus minutes. I think this was indicative of what she will give us. Real solid play overall. Few turnovers, great shooting and at least average defense overall. Making fewer mistakes would really help this team. I can't wait until Pige gets back because frankly, this team is loaded.

Reaction Score
First of all, I thought both Evina and AE were liabilities out there with turnovers, poor defense and lack of hustle. It is very upsetting especially because they were both better last year.

Morrow is a very strong and physical player but she had the benefit of very favorable refereeing and if you watch closely, she both fouls and walks and there were no calls. I think on an away or neutral court she can get into foul trouble easily. She is also undersized playing the 5 and against a strong player with height on her she will not fare as well. Liv was taken out of the game by her physicality tonight and she clearly is a very talented player.

DePaul fouls with great regularity in their guard play. They are very chippy and use body contact to slow progress forward which is by definition a foul. They didn't call a block until late in the game and DePaul was jumping into spaces without establishing vertical position but they were always charges at home. They won't be on the road.

I think the rotation has to be Azzi off the bench first if Dorka and Liv start with AE and Evina after. I am a big Evina fan but both she and AE were more effective last year. Hate to see it.

Finally, great to see Azzi show why she is Azzi. I was unaware of Morrow before tonight and it is clear that she is the probable FOY in the Big East and a probable First Team selection. Joining her on the Big East freshman team will be Caroline, who got the last laugh tonight.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to the Providence game on Sunday... my heart can't take another game like this for a while.

Morrow was a beast, but I agree with the others who said she got away with a lot of fouls! Liv let her right arm come down on a block attempt...may or may not have made contact...and immediately gets called for a foul. Hhhhhmmmmmm

Loved the play of Caroline, Azzi, Nika, Christyn, Dorka.... and the TEAM pulled this out together! Imagine Geno's go to player with the game on the line in the last handfull of seconds is a Freshman... Way to Go Caroline

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
This game reminded me of another matchup in Chicago

Thank you for putting this in here because this was also against an unranked depaul team and that was against a number 1 ranked uconn team. Tonight was a hard fought battle and a very telling win for our girls. Especially playing against the refs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom