DePaul Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

DePaul Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the score 58 - 24, a 34 point lead, and 16:12 left in the game (6:12 left in the 3rd Quarter), a Bill James Safe Lead calculation showed UCONN to be 100% certain to win no matter what happened from that point on. Not bad when playing the #15 ranked team.

I like doing that calculation because it's the point at which I can watch and eat dinner without, as Geno would say ajida.

Reaction Score
Why would you think that? What happens when all the other players are better that her other than one? You want your best players to get a feel - get the minutes don't you?
I want all of our heavily recruited and much anticipated players to get minutes so we don't have to go through this "shadow of last year's heros" routine anymore. If we had played more of the bench last year in so many of those blow outs there wouldn't be nearly as much uncertainty to start this year off with.

Reaction Score
Saniya Chong is filling in using the Bria Hartley model of play. Get the team to do what they do best. Kind of a quarterback role.

Saniya Chong will be drafted and make a WNBA team next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I want all of our heavily recruited and much anticipated players to get minutes so we don't have to go through this "shadow of last year's heros" routine anymore. If we had played more of the bench last year in so many of those blow outs there wouldn't be nearly as much uncertainty to start this year off with.
The six returning recruited players averaged 112 minutes per game last year which isn't chopped liver. The three great graduates averaged 86.8 minutes. This year was always going to be a 'shadow of last year's heroes' situation - that is what happens when you lose the #1, #2, and #3 WNBA draft picks from your team and replace them with freshman and sophomores. Just as 2003 was a 'shadow' of the 2002 team which graduated four of the top 6 draft picks.
You play the players who are ready to play the minutes that they are ready to play. The four non-starter recruits played a total of 69 minutes - again not chopped liver. Kyla played the fourth quarter plus 2 minutes, Bent the fourth quarter plus 4 minutes, Butler the fourth quarter plus 10 minutes and Crystal the fourth quarter plus 13 minutes. He kept a starter on the floor with them for 6 minutes of the fourth quarter to try and keep some flow and then added Lawlor for the last 4 minutes - the fourth quarter wasn't all that pretty, but they all worked up a sweat and got some stuff done in live game situations.

Reaction Score

What? Hopefully you are being sarcastic?

Why don't you want to give the better player's who perform better and are better and deserve as much minutes as they get- why would you want to "punish" them by giving minutes to a lesser player? So you can feel better about being certain?

You know there was a story that one of the player's last year I think deliberately missed a ft so they wouldn't get taken out of the game.

If you are a junior and senior, there has to come a time when you should have some type of expectation for minutes played, right? Along with - a player who is great busts their butt for 3/4 years and in comes a freshman not nearly as good and you want o reward the younger players? If that were your attitude at some point with your recruiting method, the real super stars would never come play for you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
IIRC, after the game the MSU coach described the UConn Huskies as being "like piranhas on a roast." Some compliment! Some metaphor! :)
That's exactly what he said. That's why I posted this earlier in the game thread:

hqdefault.jpg

P.S. I think, by using "like," the comparison becomes a simile rather than a metaphor. ;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
That's exactly what he said. That's why I posted this earlier in the game thread:

P.S. I think, by using "like," the comparison becomes a simile rather than a metaphor. ;)

Very good catch! Thanks. I concede the point. Permit a face-saving follow-up:
The word "like" is the key. Since the Huskies are "like piranhas," they considered similar to piranhas. Get it? (As I did.)
Head bang

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Very good catch! Thanks. I concede the point. Permit a face-saving follow-up:
The word "like" is the key. Since the Huskies are "like piranhas," they considered similar to piranhas. Get it? (As I did.)
Head bang
Kib, you're always very SHARP!

piranha-copia.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members