DePaul Game Notes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DePaul Game Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, we just may see Crystal on the point tonight. I wouldn't pencil her in as a starter though.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know. We're just waiting for Geno to insert her in the starting line-up. That means somebody gets pulled. Who is it going to be? My guess is Chong, but what do I know You realize that Crystal been coming in during the first quarter earlier and earlier with each passing game. Maybe right now she's more comfortable coming in off the bench, but when she hits the floor, sparks fly. I expect to see start sometime THIS month. :)
Crystal might not start this season. Geno likes an impactful game changers coming off the bench, that is Crystal only right now. During the 2012-13 season Caroline was the starter not Bria and Caroline was essentially on a short leash. In the competitive games I expect Crystal to get 25-30 Minutes regardless if she starts of not. Bria averaged 26.7 mins/game during that season.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Screenshots_2016-12-01-11-50-57.png

Just gotta love what's staring down @ practicing DePaul players

Reaction Score
I know. We're just waiting for Geno to insert her in the starting line-up. That means somebody gets pulled. Who is it going to be? My guess is Chong, but what do I know You realize that Crystal been coming in during the first quarter earlier and earlier with each passing game. Maybe right now she's more comfortable coming in off the bench, but when she hits the floor, sparks fly. I expect to see start sometime THIS month. :)

Chong is clearly the person getting the bench eventually. I predict by the latest start of the new year, will be quicker if Dangerfield is able to play and plays well in the stretch of Depaul. Tx, ND. The team is so much better in sync when they have a true PG. Geno clearly doesn't to put pressure on her and possibly hurt her confidence by starting her early in the season.

Next year, is going to be interesting. I could totally see Nurse even as SR getting her time cut significantly. Kia is currently paying the #2 and is not really a stellar #2. The lack of offense mattered little with Moriah, Stewie and Tuck around, now it matters. She has had bad start to the season and even if she pick up to last years shooting % level, she will be pressed for her spot by the newbies by the middle of next season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
View attachment 17298

Just gotta love what's staring down @ practicing DePaul players

There are a lot of reasons why opponents find Gampel a difficult place to win in. The banners are but one of them. Being the home of the # 1 or 2 ranked program in the country doesn't help. Don't think the decor (championship banners & retired numbers, etc.) go unnoticed by visiting coaches players. Gampel has almost become a shrine to UConn's past, and is a constant reminder of its legacy to all who would enter. There are some arenas (professional & college) that have a touch of mystique. Gampel is one of them. Championship banners all over the place, while most college arenas don't have any. And those banners depict recent success. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well you just gotta wonder what's falling down on practicing DePaul players!

View attachment 17301

You also have to wear a "HARD HAT" when you practice in Gampel. Gampel is in need of a major face lift. This condition can't go unattended for too much longer.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Next year, is going to be interesting. I could totally see Nurse even as SR getting her time cut significantly. Kia is currently paying the #2 and is not really a stellar #2.

I think mebbe she went nova last night, whaddaya think?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Next year, is going to be interesting. I could totally see Nurse even as SR getting her time cut significantly. Kia is currently paying the #2 and is not really a stellar #2.

I think mebbe she went nova last night, whaddaya think?

I think that is way too far down the road to ponder. IF Kia can continue to shoot like she did last night, Crystal would have no problem "facilitating" her, making sure she gets the ball exactly where and when she wants it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Next year, is going to be interesting. I could totally see Nurse even as SR getting her time cut significantly. Kia is currently paying the #2 and is not really a stellar #2. The lack of offense mattered little with Moriah, Stewie and Tuck around, now it matters. She has had bad start to the season and even if she pick up to last years shooting % level, she will be pressed for her spot by the newbies by the middle of next season.
9b5.jpg

Reaction Score

Kia had 1 game where she shot over her head. If you look at her career overall she is not a pure #2 and the newbies and soon to be eligible transfers will pressher for time. There are legit 2's coming in.

Last edited by a moderator:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hopefully all this years starters will lose some minutes on the court next year - if they don't it means the transfers and freshmen aren't as good as we all think!

Kia is like Moriah and most non-Stewart type players at Uconn providing just what is needed - hard nose defense, solid facilitation on offense with a reliable 10+/- ppg at a good efficiency level with an occasional offensive explosion. Through her first two years she:
Is shooting .464/.388/.735 and scoring 9.8 ppg - only needed 7 shots per game to score that much. She average 2.5 rebounds, 2.8 assists, and 1.4 steals a game with an A/TO of 1.9. A really solid starter on a team with lots of scoring weapons.
This year through a slow start she is at .424/.412/.900 scoring 13.7 ppg on 10 shots a game - assists at 4.5, rebounds at 1.5, steals at .7 with an A/TO of 2.25.

With four guard/wings coming in and Crystal and Bent developing replacing only Chong and Lawlor I am sure that Kia will lose some of her current team leading 33 mpg which is great - she should be playing fewer minutes so she is fresher. But if she is not starting her whole senior year I will be very surprised.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kia had 1 game where she shot over her head. If you look at her career overall she is not a pure #2 and the newbies and soon to be eligible transfers will pressher for time. There are legit 2's coming in.
I do agree that Kia will get pushed next yr by some of the youngsters, but her 33 pet explosion last night was not unique. You may recall that Kia put up 30 in the PanAm championship game vs the US, on her way to the gold medal, when guarded by Mo.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse, the one who has started almost every game for UCONN in her career, who shoots 46% on 2s and 38% on 3s, the captain (as a Jr) of UCONN, has averaged over 100 assists per year, the AAC FR of the year, the Pan America games and FIBA Americas MVP, THAT Kia Nurse as a Sr is going to be overtaken by freshmen? That Kia Nurse? Don't know if you've ever watched UCONN games or are aware of how Geno runs his teams, but I'm gonna go with, ummmmm, NO.

IF she doesn't play as much next year as this year, it won't be because she is being pressed for time. It'll be because UCONN is so far ahead in games that she's not really needed.

I will agree with you though that Nurse is not a pure 2. She is more a combo.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I will agree with you though that Nurse is not a pure 2. She is more a combo.

That seems to only bother some fans who really like to place players into firm number designations. It doesn't seem to bother Geno too much.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do agree that Kia will get pushed next yr by some of the youngsters, but her 33 pet explosion last night was not unique. You may recall that Kia put up 30 in the PanAm championship game vs the US, on her way to the gold medal, when guarded by Mo.
And when you have a team with two players averaging close to 20 ppg, you need the rest of the players filling in with 10 +/- points per game - with a seven player rotation that gets you to 85 +/- per game - some games it is 95, some 75 depending on pace, but if you play good defense you are winning almost all your games. Against a solid schedule through 6 games Uconn is at 82 ppg, and their defense is giving up 57 = MOV of 25. Not last years ridiculous 40, but that was better than any other team last year if I remember correctly (might have been one or two in the same region.) Just checked - Baylor was #2 last year at 24.1. They gave up 76 points in their first game - a pretty ragged outing, since then the most is 65 in a 33 point win. The least they have scored is 72 in an 11 point win.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That seems to only bother some fans who really like to place players into firm number designations. It doesn't seem to bother Geno too much.
I don't think there is anything wrong with labeling players for what they are. They are what they are. But that doesn't mean they can't play other positions, or Geno may play them out of position. Or what a "x" may do at UCONN vs what a "x" may do at another school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom