Demolish the XL center | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Demolish the XL center

Reaction Score
Probably by explaining that the XL deal is in efficient, expensive, and cost the taxpayers money.
That makes sense. But in another life I served as Head Clerk of the Connecticut Appropriations Committee. They play half the games in Hartford because that is required to get the support of the General Assembly that they now have but didn't traditionally have if you go back to the days before basketball success. Facts don't change because you don't think they should be that way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That makes sense. But in another life I served as Head Clerk of the Connecticut Appropriations Committee. They play half the games in Hartford because that is required to get the support of the General Assembly that they now have but didn't traditionally have if you go back to the days before basketball success. Facts don't change because you don't think they should be that way.

But that speaks more to the quality of the mindset of legislators not necessarily what is best for UConn or athletics. And yes, I realize politics is full of compromise and you sometimes have to give in order to get. But UConn basketball and hockey isn't saving Hartford.

Reaction Score
UCONN should dictate everything about the program. Start the games after 7:30. Allow more students. Play on campus.
I mean, if we’re going to say how things would look in an ideal world:

Hartford blows up the XL Center in its own chicken grease and replaces it with a 13k or so hoops version of Dunkin’ Donuts Park, costs offset by a sports gambling hub. Men’s hoops plays a half-dozen definite sellouts in the building, including the non-conference marquee game that is being played in Newark. Pratt street follows suit with a revitalization to make downtown Hartford on game days a true destination.

The remainder are played in a renovated Gampel that allows non-students to enjoy such modern luxury as seatbacks, not having to hold their pee for the entire game and maybe a concession stand that isn’t straight out of high school gyms across the country. Would even make sense that the brand-carrying program of the university isn’t then playing at a venue that is a couple decades older than every other program on campus.

The Rent could also play host to the 42nd biggest bowl in the country every December, the same weekend UConn hosts a major hoops doubleheader at said downtown Hartford arena.

And the state could make every UConn basketball conference home date a holiday. Maybe a half day for schools, they don’t need those snow days with zoom and such now anyway.

Reaction Score
But that speaks more to the quality of the mindset of legislators not necessarily what is best for UConn or athletics.
So …? UConn should move to a state with a more professional, highly paid legislature?

My point, as it has been for years, is have fun debating whether or not playing in Hartford is good for the program, BUT IT DOESN’T MATTER. Because it’s not stopping any time soon no matter how rational you think stopping may be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I mean, if we’re going to say how things would look in an ideal world:

Hartford blows up the XL Center in its own chicken grease and replaces it with a 13k or so hoops version of Dunkin’ Donuts Park, costs offset by a sports gambling hub. Men’s hoops plays a half-dozen definite sellouts in the building, including the non-conference marquee game that is being played in Newark. Pratt street follows suit with a revitalization to make downtown Hartford on game days a true destination.

The remainder are played in a renovated Gampel that allows non-students to enjoy such modern luxury as seatbacks, not having to hold their pee for the entire game and maybe a concession stand that isn’t straight out of high school gyms across the country. Would even make sense that the brand-carrying program of the university isn’t then playing at a venue that is a couple decades older than every other program on campus.

The Rent could also play host to the 42nd biggest bowl in the country every December, the same weekend UConn hosts a major hoops doubleheader at said downtown Hartford arena.

And the state could make every UConn basketball conference home date a holiday. Maybe a half day for schools, they don’t need those snow days with zoom and such now anyway.
Brilliant! We need to get you on the Connecticut appropriations committee! I don’t know if it would help but I know a guy who used to be the head clerk there.

Reaction Score
They can't dictate game times
Right. But after joining the Big East it should have at least some say in not having to play at 6:30.

So …? UConn should move to a state with a more professional, highly paid legislature?

My point, as it has been for years, is have fun debating whether or not playing in Hartford is good for the program, BUT IT DOESN’T MATTER. Because it’s not stopping any time soon no matter how rational you think stopping may be.
That's a great point. But we're not debating how effed up the CT state legislature is. We're debating why basketball is better being played in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Right. But after joining the Big East it should have at least some say in not having to play at 6:30.

That's a great point. But we're not debating how effed up the CT state legislature is. We're debating why basketball is better being played in Storrs.
It doesn't matter what conference they're in, they play the times that TV tells them to play.

Reaction Score
I may need a new handle.
2312AD08-5537-48D3-A014-AA0D9BF202A4.jpeg

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Villanova played like garbage today at Wells Fargo, they should always play on campus.

Reaction Score
The XL center should've been replaced before the Whalers left. I think the XL needs to be torn down and replaced with a new building...

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Question - I keep hearing "30 mins from Hartford", I haven't lived in CT in about 15 years but as I recall it would be 30mins on 84 and then a good 15 on whatever that small road in is. I just did a map search and they suggest 384>44 but isn't that just back roads you'd need to pray to get lucky on? All of this predicated on no traffic - and while Hartford ain't Miami in rush hour it still used to be sluggish from Avon to East Hartford on 84.

Reaction Score
Question - I keep hearing "30 mins from Hartford", I haven't lived in CT in about 15 years but as I recall it would be 30mins on 84 and then a good 15 on whatever that small road in is. I just did a map search and they suggest 384>44 but isn't that just back roads you'd need to pray to get lucky on? All of this predicated on no traffic - and while Hartford ain't Miami in rush hour it still used to be sluggish from Avon to East Hartford on 84.
Made the trip a couple weeks ago for the Georgetown game going that way. It was a about a half hour for me from Hartford. Like 32/33 minutes and that's was with me going out to 195 from 44 because I was with someone that had never been to campus, so wanted to show them the "up and over the hill" view driving in.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Avon too, usually took me about 50 minutes to get back to Storrs from there without any traffic. Hartford to Storrs is quick, as long as you don't get stuck behind some slow old person on 44.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Guess my memory of the drive is fuzzy! I probably haven't done it in 20 years... always enjoyed the ride from 84 to campus though, very pretty.

Reaction Score
They play 3 home games in Wells Fargo, about 20% of their total home games. That's not a split. The facility is one of the better pro arenas in the NBA and NHL with a significant recent renovation. Its capacity is a 215% increase from their on-campus facility.

UConn plays 50% of its home schedule at XL. It's a minor league facility, and one of the worst in the AHL. It's had no significant renovations in decades. Its capacity is a 60% increase over Gampel.

Try again.
It was a simple answer to a simple question. I am in no way advocating we should play another game at XL. I would rather play 100% of our home games at Gample. I hope you didn’t work too hard on all the math to try and prove me “wrong”.

Reaction Score
About the quiet fans...I went to a concert recently and was kind of surprised that people don't really clap anymore. They just kind of scream and whistle. At this one, anyway. Weird. Maybe hands are occupied with taking pictures and videos. I felt like I was the only one clapping. Me, in my 60s, most of the crowd was young, so maybe it's a young people thing.

Reaction Score
About the quiet fans...I went to a concert recently and was kind of surprised that people don't really clap anymore. They just kind of scream and whistle. At this one, anyway. Weird. Maybe hands are occupied with taking pictures and videos. I felt like I was the only one clapping. Me, in my 60s, most of the crowd was young, so maybe it's a young people thing.
I'm 64 and don't clap anymore, I also don't sit anymore, get as close to the stage as I can. Chant, yell, sing along, jump. 3 things I don't do - crowd surf, mosh or headbang.

Reaction Score
I'm 64 and don't clap anymore, I also don't sit anymore, get as close to the stage as I can. Chant, yell, sing along, jump. 3 things I don't do - crowd surf, mosh or headbang.
Same here. On the rail (leaning).
me@ev.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom