DeLoss Dodds/Texas (grudgingly) accepts that the Big 12 will be adding two members | The Boneyard

DeLoss Dodds/Texas (grudgingly) accepts that the Big 12 will be adding two members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"I like 10 [teams] but if the vote is to add some I'm fine with it. It's not the end of the world for me," Dodds said. "I like the idea of not playing a championship game. I like the idea of playing everybody. I like the idea of splitting the TV money 10 ways. If I can be convinced or outvoted, that's the way to be [12 teams], it's not that big a deal."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...d-big-12-will-be-a-toptier-cash-generator/rss

We know that Louisville will be #11. The big question is, who will be #12? Rutgers, Cincy, USF, Tulane?

If/when the Big East loses two more, does it stay at 8?

UConn,UCF,SMU,UH,BSU,SDSU, USF, Rutgers (Cincy, UofL leave)
But Navy comes in to make it 9. Still need 3 to get to a championship game.

After that? To get to 12 Memphis, ECU, Fresno State?

Basketball will take a huge hit. No more WVU, SU, Pitt, UofL, Cincy.

Nova allows Temple in exchange for an upgrade subsidized by the Big East?

Notre Dame's decision is expected to be made in January (hmmm...independence or no independence? I'll take independence for $100 Alex.)

Big 12 expands in the spring of 2012.

In any event, UConn still shopping in aisle 15 looking for the K-Y. Marinatto over in the frozen pizza section. Only saving grace is Rutgers will be at the checkout line but its purchase of hair products are going to be foiled by "card declined" and a billfold devoid of green. Ahhh....exciting times ahead.

Reaction Score
Best for us would be for UL and RU to go to the B12. The Catholic schools would split. Then ND would go to the ACC with us.

Reaction Score
I agree with ten teams. Like to play all teams in the conference . Conference championship is overrated.

Reaction Score
I can't understand this fixation on a championship game. Makes no sense to me.

The only reason to add teams is to maintain a league when other teams leave. Otherwise, a championship game is irrelevant and even harmful to the Big East (potentially knocks out a top ranked team and less money for each school).

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think the facination was with the extra money a championship game brought. However, I think that now, while the extra cash is nice, some are looking at champ games as having the potential to actually hurt the conference in any given year.

Reaction Score
I think the facination was with the extra money a championship game brought. However, I think that now, while the extra cash is nice, some are looking at champ games as having the potential to actually hurt the conference in any given year.

But the cash was never good. No one goes to these games, and the TV networks were only ponying up $5-8 million to the best conferences (other than the SEC). Teams were losing more than their cut that much just traveling. $500k per school sounds good, but that's what any school could make on a game if they agree to go on the road.

Reaction Score
I can't understand this fixation on a championship game. Makes no sense to me.

The only reason to add teams is to maintain a league when other teams leave. Otherwise, a championship game is irrelevant and even harmful to the Big East (potentially knocks out a top ranked team and less money for each school).
totally agree. But it isn't only the Big East that will be hurt by these games. Virtually every conference has the risk every year that a real good team will get knocked off by a weak sister. Took a questionable call for Auburn to survive last year. And I don't know that there is any huge demand for the games among the fans.

Reaction Score
It's fine to link to these quotes, but please remember that, at this point, a representative of a school making a statement is not evidence that they believe what they are saying. They are feeling out TV networks. they are feeling out public opinion. They are trying to keep alum and donors of their backs.

Anything you read may or may not be true, but assuming that because someone says it there is any veracity to it whatsoever is just foolish.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
But the cash was never good. No one goes to these games, and the TV networks were only ponying up $5-8 million to the best conferences (other than the SEC). Teams were losing more than their cut that much just traveling. $500k per school sounds good, but that's what any school could make on a game if they agree to go on the road.

I agree but I'm pretty sure that was the rationale when they became the next cool thing. I think it's indicative of the prevailing train of thought of college football: grab for the money first and consider the ramifications later.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So perhaps someone will finally finish off the black knight conference after all. I hope so before schools like Boise and SDSU come on board, so they can stay with western and mountain schools where they belong.

I think Louisville is the strongest school out there in terms of programs. I think Cincy is stretch, although the FB team has been consistently decent. I can't even imagine the Big XII adding Rutgers. New Jersey is so unlike Texas, Oklahama and Kansas as to render the idea absurd. Tulane is a possibility. Tulsa would be if the OK schools didn't block them. New Mexico would make regional sense, along with Colorado State.

Reaction Score
True, but I'm 100% sure that Oklahoma and Rutgers have some plan in place. The disparate cultures between Texas, KU, OU and Rutgers are less so than between Rutgers and Boise CC, Houston, SMU, SDSU.

The Big 12 has flagship schools in KU, OU, Texas, locks on the second tier schools in rhe same market (except Texas) in KState and Ok State. But even there Texas Tech is no slouch.

On the olympic sports side of things, Rutgers has even less in common with the Catholic schools.

I'm not saying differences between Big 12 schools and Rutgers don't exist. But compared to the Art Bell conference, they're quite relative.

So perhaps someone will finally finish off the black knight conference after all. I hope so before schools like Boise and SDSU come on board, so they can stay with western and mountain schools where they belong.

I think Louisville is the strongest school out there in terms of programs. I think Cincy is stretch, although the FB team has been consistently decent. I can't even imagine the Big XII adding Rutgers. New Jersey is so unlike Texas, Oklahama and Kansas as to render the idea absurd. Tulane is a possibility. Tulsa would be if the OK schools didn't block them. New Mexico would make regional sense, along with Colorado State.

Reaction Score
Best for us would be for UL and RU to go to the B12. The Catholic schools would split. Then ND would go to the ACC with us.

Notre Dame aint giving up football independence so we better hope there is another path to another conference other than them. If we are actually relying on Notre Dame to end their independence in football as our ticket to a more stable conference that is downright scary.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame aint giving up football independence so we better hope there is another path to another conference other than them. If we are actually relying on Notre Dame to end their independence in football as our ticket to a more stable conference that is downright scary.

It really doesn't matter what ND is prepared to do if the league ceases to exist.

No other conference is letting them in without football, so to say what ND wants or needs becomes irrelevant when the BE ceases to exist.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anything you read may or may not be true, but assuming that because someone says it there is any veracity to it whatsoever is just foolish.

Yup. Like that quote by William Goldman, "Nobody knows nothing."

Reaction Score
It really doesn't matter what ND is prepared to do if the league ceases to exist.

No other conference is letting them in without football, so to say what ND wants or needs becomes irrelevant when the BE ceases to exist.

Who knows if it would happen but the Big 12 did float the idea of letting ND in for sports other than football. Also if the BBall schools break away I could see ND willing to sacrifice some prestige for non football sports and going with them as opposed to making what they consider to be the ultimate sacrifice which for them is giving up football independence. I hope I'm wrong here. I just see it as very wishful thinking that Notre Dame won't find some other suitable arrangement.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
-ruty goes to b12, then uconn is solid acc but maybe the b12 is floating nyc(yankee bowl shows interest) we get a look
-ruty goes to b10, maybe they come east more for us as well, soild for acc anyway
-ruty goes to acc, we can be 16 or ND could be, solid for cusa with temple/ecu/ucf/usf or the mac with umass

Reaction Score
Who knows if it would happen but the Big 12 did float the idea of letting ND in for sports other than football. Also if the BBall schools break away I could see ND willing to sacrifice some prestige for non football sports and going with them as opposed to making what they consider to be the ultimate sacrifice which for them is giving up football independence. I hope I'm wrong here. I just see it as very wishful thinking that Notre Dame won't find some other suitable arrangement.

You're assuming those other schools have other sports.

Boise St
San Diego St
Navy
---------------
Football Onlies

UCF
Houston
SMU
UConn
Rutgers
Memphis
Temple
USF
---------------
All Sports

Notre Dame

That's 12 teams, 11 of which play football.

Now, do those teams above have all sports? I wouldn't be so sure. Temple? Memphis? USF? Houston?

Reaction Score
You're assuming those other schools have other sports.

Boise St
San Diego St
Navy
---------------
Football Onlies

UCF
Houston
SMU
UConn
Rutgers
Memphis
Temple
USF
---------------
All Sports

Notre Dame

That's 12 teams, 11 of which play football.

Now, do those teams above have all sports? I wouldn't be so sure. Temple? Memphis? USF? Houston?

If this above alignment came to pass I think they'd go with Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette, and DePaul. They'd add a few more like Butler, Gonzaga, St. Louis, Xavier, etc. and call it a day. I think are are just as likely if not more likely to just join the best basketball conference without football that they can as they would join an all sports conference and give up independence.

Reaction Score
If this above alignment came to pass I think they'd go with Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette, and DePaul. They'd add a few more like Butler, Gonzaga, St. Louis, Xavier, etc. and call it a day. I think are are just as likely if not more likely to just join the best basketball conference without football that they can as they would join an all sports conference and give up independence.
Think you are probably right, Notre Dame does field 23 varsity sports but Notre Dame could find homes for any of their sports not offered by the non football playing schools in the BE. It could be extremely difficult for Notre Dame if they were forced into lesser conferences for some sports...but football independence appears to be the number #1 priority for alums.

Reaction Score
Lets control the things we can control. UNLV is starting to look better and better.

This is where we are. We only have one home right now and all we can do is help to rebuild it. If things change then they change but right now all we can do is strengthen the all sports side of the Big East.

Reaction Score

And what would they do with their other sports since the teams you list don't have them.

Reaction Score
Think you are probably right, Notre Dame does field 23 varsity sports but Notre Dame could find homes for any of their sports not offered by the non football playing schools in the BE. It could be extremely difficult for Notre Dame if they were forced into lesser conferences for some sports...but football independence appears to be the number #1 priority for alums.

The problem is that no lesser conferences host all those sports.

Reaction Score
And what would they do with their other sports since the teams you list don't have them.

They'd have to look elsewhere. I'm not sure which sports you are talking about since most of these are far from high profile. Most of those former Big East schools have men's soccer, lacrosse, track and field, baseball, field hockey, women's volleyball, etc. If you don't think they'd sacrifice some of the other non revenue sports to lesser leagues to save football independence I'm not sure you realize how much they value it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom