DeLeone implies UConn couldn't recruit Walker, Matakevich b/c grades | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DeLeone implies UConn couldn't recruit Walker, Matakevich b/c grades

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I will say this for GDL - he coached the OL very intensely when Trmple's defense was on the field. He was very fiery in that bench huddle using a white board etc. very old school.

Reaction Score
I will say this for GDL - he coached the OL very intensely when Trmple's defense was on the field. He was very fiery in that bench huddle using a white board etc. very old school.

Good point. Totally off point: uh, interesting choice of avi ya got there. I guess Rob Riggle would be proud.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm familiar with the tight recruiting restrictions at SMU following the death penalty. We don't want to go down that road.

We must compete for recruits on the same level with our peers or we're dead. If we can't live with our peers' standards, we have to find different peers.

Reaction Score
He was nothing special coming out of high school. Very slow. We had better LBs. He developed because he played all games his freshmen season which wouldn't have happened at UConn.

This is pure BS. He was not an under the radar recruit, and he was a very good linebacker the moment he stepped on the field as a true freshman.

Tyler Matakevich - 2014

2012 (Freshman): One of 14 true freshmen to see game action and one of just four true freshmen to earn a starting role … one of just three true freshmen to play in every game … started at MLB and also played on the kickoff return unit … became the first freshman in school history to record 100 tackles … finished season as Temple leader with 101 tackles, including 67 solo stops, three TFL, three break-ups, two fumble recoveries, and a forced fumble … finished fourth in the Big East in tackles (9.2) … had double-digit tackles in five consecutive games ... was the Owls leading tackler in each of the final 8 games … tallied 15 tackles, including 12 solo stops and two TFL, in the win over South Florida, his first collegiate start mid-year student who enrolled at Temple in January 2012.

Prep School: Played linebacker for coach Bill Chaplick at Milford Academy for one season ... ranked #38 LB in the country by 247Sports … also ranked the #10 recruit in the state of New York and the #5 outside linebacker.

Reaction Score
We couldn't get Deon Miller and Carraway in here both 6-6 WRs, James Nixon, Adrian Robinson.

Reaction Score
Ding ding ding. It's been clear for a while that the football program can't get players into the school. You may as well not have a program if you aren't willing to admit football players.
We couldn't keep Bobby Frey another year too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We couldn't keep Bobby Frey another year too.

Well that whole narrative after the fact was that he wanted to finish his degree in PA so he'd be licenced to teach there.

It seems pretty far fetched someone would leave a team that went to the Fiesta Bowl to go to Slippery Rock...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well that whole narrative after the fact was that he wanted to finish his degree in PA so he'd be licenced to teach there.

It seems pretty far fetched someone would leave a team that went to the Fiesta Bowl to go to Slippery Rock...

Robbie Frey was quoted as wanting to go back to PA to be with his fiance. It's probably the most quoted thing I've placed on the Boneyard, but I'm too tired to find the newspaper link again. Every year, it's brought up again, and every year, I have to mention it...;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Robbie Frey was quoted as wanting to go back to PA to be with his fiance. It's probably the most quoted thing I've placed on the Boneyard, but I'm too tired to find the newspaper link again. Every year, it's brought up again, and every year, I have to mention it...;)

Yes that's the narrative I'm speaking of - the quote came after he publicly wasn't admitted to grad school.

All the nice quotes are there at the end of the day if you didn't happen to be paying attention in the heat of the moment.

Now sure maybe it's true but based
on the last decade of this program...?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes that's the narrative I'm speaking of - the quote came after he publicly wasn't admitted to grad school.

All the nice quotes are there at the end of the day if you didn't happen to be paying attention in the heat of the moment.

Now sure maybe it's true but based
on the last decade of this program...?

With the fact that he maintained good grades throughout his time here and the fact that the football team gets extra access to tutors, facilities, etc., I'm feeling confident that his version of the story is likely the true version of the story.

And like you said, there is so much more that was messed up with our program over the last decade that we can focus on! I'm going to go check my vitamin D levels now so that I don't turn into an energy vampire...:oops:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This is pure BS. He was not an under the radar recruit, and he was a very good linebacker the moment he stepped on the field as a true freshman.

Tyler Matakevich - 2014

2012 (Freshman): One of 14 true freshmen to see game action and one of just four true freshmen to earn a starting role … one of just three true freshmen to play in every game … started at MLB and also played on the kickoff return unit … became the first freshman in school history to record 100 tackles … finished season as Temple leader with 101 tackles, including 67 solo stops, three TFL, three break-ups, two fumble recoveries, and a forced fumble … finished fourth in the Big East in tackles (9.2) … had double-digit tackles in five consecutive games ... was the Owls leading tackler in each of the final 8 games … tallied 15 tackles, including 12 solo stops and two TFL, in the win over South Florida, his first collegiate start mid-year student who enrolled at Temple in January 2012.

Prep School: Played linebacker for coach Bill Chaplick at Milford Academy for one season ... ranked #38 LB in the country by … also ranked the #10 recruit in the state of New York and the #5 outside linebacker.

Thanks WingU I was going to look for the same type of write-up - the kid is a player and was when he walked on that field for his 1st college game
To be truthful - I'm not buying all this grade stuff
Listen - I love all the players at UConn in every sport BUT I've heard guys on the football and basketball team speak and wonder how some got out of middle school

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
With the fact that he maintained good grades throughout his time here and the fact that the football team gets extra access to tutors, facilities, etc., I'm feeling confident that his version of the story is likely the true version of the story.

And like you said, there is so much more that was messed up with our program over the last decade that we can focus on! I'm going to go check my vitamin D levels now so that I don't turn into an energy vampire...:oops:

I'm pretty sure his academic record was why we were all so upset. I clearly remember Upstater telling us how valuable that one spot in the grad program was - we couldn't possibly use it on a solid student who could return a kick for a TD against Oklahoma. The school has no leverage over those decision makers or something. Because where grade school teachers get their graduate degrees matter or something...

Yet the basketball team brings in grad transfers hand over fist. Weird!

Reaction Score
I know I shouldn't feed trolls, but do yourself a favor; look up the name Montrell Dobbs and educate yourself before you come here to spout off on stuff you don't understand...
Look up Jim Calhoun and you'll see I understand things quite well. Fact is Temple has a higher GSR rating and waxed you on the football field. Doesn't make one school better than the other simply calling out the fact your admin is full of crap.

Reaction Score
First, I can understand why someone from Temple wouldn't want to start an argument on academic reputation on a UConn message board. Second, any data coming from the NCAA is flawed. UConn doesn't have "basket weaving 101" classes like a lot of the other schools do to provide an easy route to graduation for their athletes. This is what hurts them in these type of rankings. Doing things legit has its price in the NCAA. Randy Edsall pretty much said the program could not take the next step because of the academic standards here.
I'm not sure what they told you in orientation but UConn isn't in the Ivy League or even the ACC for that matter. Good state school but easy on positioning it as a pillar of academic excellence. Additionally, the tact of attacking the source of info is pretty tired. Bottom line is Temple has a better football team, coach and has a higher rating from the NCAA.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Michigan has a stellar academic reputation - how do they get such great players? Most schools allow a certain leeway for the football team- more than the 12 in basketball. Why can't Vanderbilt compete in the SEC? Duke until only recently in the ACC? Hell, even BC used to be competetive.
Point being, we won't be able to win championships in this conference if our academic standards are so much higher than everyone else sans NAVY and maybe SMU! We might be UCONN, but we are playing an uphill battle.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Look up Jim Calhoun and you'll see I understand things quite well. Fact is Temple has a higher GSR rating and waxed you on the football field. Doesn't make one school better than the other simply calling out the fact your admin is full of crap.

I fully support UConn allowing football players in - but no single school has benefitted from UConn rejecting players more than Temple.

If you like Temple it's in your best interest to keep collecting recruits UConn doesn't admit. They are good players and they show up with a chip on their shoulders.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Educate yourself...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I love when idiots from other schools bring basketball data to win a football fight, especially when the basketball data was made retroactively. Which Shabazz Napier and the Hungry Huskies quickly shoved up Emmert's a %s...

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what they told you in orientation but UConn isn't in the Ivy League or even the ACC for that matter. Good state school but easy on positioning it as a pillar of academic excellence. Additionally, the tact of attacking the source of info is pretty tired. Bottom line is Temple has a better football team, coach and has a higher rating from the NCAA.
I'm gonna tell you like I told your other turd Temple colleague that came on here running his mouth: Member that time a Temple fan came on The Boneyard and got banned for running his mouth on a UConn board

Reaction Score
I don't believe Dobbs ever made it to Temple's campus either so I don't know why he was referenced here? Temple in the MAC had the luxury of being able to over sign and then parking kids in Prep School (still open to signing at any school) or grey-shirting them a half-year. While that was an advantage, the fact of the matter is that Temple's staff have been much better recruiters/talent evaluators than the UConn staff since Randy E. left. Even then, Temple held their own against UConn.

You can try an put word's in GDL's mouth regarding academics etc, but Temple does what every other school does. Every school lowers standards for specific athletes. UConn does it too. PJ Walker qualified out of HS to play D1 ball and started his freshman year. Same with Tyler M.

Those are sour grapes. I think most of this stems from CFB fans not being able to wrap their head around that fact that Temple finally has gotten their S*** together regarding football. They have the facilities, respected coaches, and can recruit/put players in the NFL.

Reaction Score
I don't believe Dobbs ever made it to Temple's campus either so I don't know why he was referenced here? Temple in the MAC had the luxury of being able to over sign and then parking kids in Prep School (still open to signing at any school) or grey-shirting them a half-year. While that was an advantage, the fact of the matter is that Temple's staff have been much better recruiters/talent evaluators than the UConn staff since Randy E. left. Even then, Temple held their own against UConn.

You can try an put word's in GDL's mouth regarding academics etc, but Temple does what every other school does. Every school lowers standards for specific athletes. UConn does it too. PJ Walker qualified out of HS to play D1 ball and started his freshman year. Same with Tyler M.

Those are sour grapes. I think most of this stems from CFB fans not being able to wrap their head around that fact that Temple finally has gotten their S*** together regarding football. They have the facilities, respected coaches, and can recruit/put players in the NFL.

I get what you are saying, but you are wrong. This stuff is followed on this board very closely. We have a well known and consistent issue getting kids admitted. It has been mentioned by our football coaches successively and even by the UConn president. We aren't admitting lots of kids that we really need to in order to compete. Even high school coaches of players like Matkevich and Dobbs have said it in the press. UConn needs to get realistic about football. We need to do more to compete and loosening admission standards is a top 3 issue on our list of problems.

Is it sour grapes? Not really. We are jealous of Temple's success but we agree that Temple is doing a good job admitting good players and hiring good coaches. We want to admit better players and hire better coaches too.

Reaction Score
Temple has a much better coach, staff, and football program. They admit players we don't, but should. That's only a small reason they have a better team.

UConn is a top 60 national university, Temple is 118. UConn is a top 20 public school, Temple is 56.

Temple admits only slightly more students than UConn.

There isn't much room for debate.

UConn is a better school academically. But Temple doesn't deserved to be talked about like Louisville or Memphis, it's a good school.

The GSR and APR are meaningless when talking about quality of academics at a school.

Temple has a much better football team now and for the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom