DeLeone implies UConn couldn't recruit Walker, Matakevich b/c grades | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DeLeone implies UConn couldn't recruit Walker, Matakevich b/c grades

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm familiar with the tight recruiting restrictions at SMU following the death penalty. We don't want to go down that road.

We must compete for recruits on the same level with our peers or we're dead. If we can't live with our peers' standards, we have to find different peers.

True, but the only available upgrades are the Ivy or Patriot Leagues. I'm certain the Ivy would laugh at the idea, and the Patriot probably would too. I also don't think our athletic program would garner the kind of national attention necessary to sustain it in the Patriot.

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying, but you are wrong. This stuff is followed on this board very closely. We have a well known and consistent issue getting kids admitted. It has been mentioned by our football coaches successively and even by the UConn president. We aren't admitting lots of kids that we really need to in order to compete. Even high school coaches of players like Matkevich and Dobbs have said it in the press. UConn needs to get realistic about football. We need to do more to compete and loosening admission standards is a top 3 issue on our list of problems.

Is it sour grapes? Not really. We are jealous of Temple's success but we agree that Temple is doing a good job admitting good players and hiring good coaches. We want to admit better players and hire better coaches too.
^^^^^post of the thread. some fair and objective sentiments^^^^

Reaction Score
Robbie Frey was quoted as wanting to go back to PA to be with his fiance. It's probably the most quoted thing I've placed on the Boneyard, but I'm too tired to find the newspaper link again. Every year, it's brought up again, and every year, I have to mention it...;)

That's what Robbie said but not necessarily the reason.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That's what Robbie said but not necessarily the reason.

That's technically true, but what would you have me do? Should I say, "Sorry, Robbie, but I heard on the Boneyard..." :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom