Delany Talks About the Big Ten Network | The Boneyard

Delany Talks About the Big Ten Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Q: Here’s something you probably haven’t been asked. When the Big Ten Network was a thing in your head and in the incubation stage, I assume there was probably a time when you said “This is maybe the next big thing, it could be a game changer.” As we sit here today, is there something out there right now?
A: We’re preparing for our next set of major television agreements. We’re scheduled to begin negotiations in the fall of 2015. As we look at that environment, we look at BTN, we’ll look at the games that we’ll have available. We’ll talk to ESPN because they’ve been a long-term partner. It’s a very good market for sports and college sports and in particular college football. College football had a growth trajectory over the last 15 years that’s really separated college football — the NFL’s at the top — from Major League Baseball, college basketball, NBA. We have more conference games, we have the BTN and I think what we try to do is assess the options from the traditional options to BTN2Go. You read all the time about the Apples and Googles and Netflix, so I don’t think there’s any doubt that looking back 20 years we could ever have envisioned a series of involvements by NBC cable, CBS cable, Fox cable, ESPN, the Yankee Network. There’s no doubt as you look forward 20 years that there will be other opportunities. Part of taking advantage of the opportunities is timing and I think our timing is good because we’re on another kind of cusp of technological change. We’re not sure where it’s all going to go, but we’re assessing it, studying it for a couple years. I don’t have an objective other than to explore all the opportunities to try to position us. The athletic directors have been great, we’ve got more conference games, we’ve added Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers in the last three years. I think we’re going to keep traditional model of no games on Thursday or Friday or Wednesday. Saturday, we’re trying to get more games into prime. We’ve got a championship game and we’re trying to upgrade our September schedules a little bit, dropping the teams that don’t have as many scholarships that are actually from another division, increasing the quality of the opponent because we’re going to be competing for one of those four slots in the College Football Playoff. There’s a lot of competition for the discretionary dollar; people can stay home and watch it on TV so if you want people to come to your game, you need to put good, competitive games on. I don’t think there’s any doubt that when we went to a 12th game, the overall quality of our games went down, but the number of home games went up and the number of wins went up. I’d rather have seven or eight teams compete on a national basis rather than 10 that are bowl eligible. It seems to me after a decade of that experience, that’s not necessarily a drive. We’ve seen people go to bowl games and not be there the next year and that certainly doesn’t have the same meaning it did 15 years ago. I don’t know what the next integration is beyond Big Ten Network, except the Big Ten Network is available to go now on a digital basis globally now, anywhere where high-speed internet exists. It’s available in 25 countries in 53 million homes and available in 90 million homes. It is more widely distributed than ESPN was 25 years ago. I think it has more growth. We’re going to get out East, I don’t expect that to be easy, but it we can gauge constructively with distributors, I think there’s a valued proposition there. We’ve got a million people in that corridor between Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan state, Michigan plus Rutgers and Maryland. I think major college sports will come around, largely as a result of the size and scope of these programs coming in there. It’s not going to be immediate, we won’t dominate, but I think we’ll be impactful and relevant in time and I think everybody’s real excited about that. A number of coaches mentioned it’s a great opportunity to recruit out there. We’ve added 3 percent to our geographic footprint and 30 percent to our demographic footprint. Between Penn State, Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland, I think it gives us a footprint that allows us to compete. We picked up two institutions that are flagship, public AAU members in contiguous states, Penn State’s the bridge. I’m not sure this would be as easy or as smooth as it is, but we’ve bene with Penn State for 20 years now and they face east into New York and D.C. and I think the Penn State-Maryland, Penn State-Rutgers, Penn State-Ohio State and those rivalries speak for themselves. I think it’s areal opportunity there to get a seamless growth. Everyone’s in two regions now. The ACC is in the Massachusetts and New York and Indiana and Pennsylvania. We’re in Nebraska, Pennsylvania, New York/New Jersey, D.C., so we’ve got that corridor positioned in a unique way. The SEC is in Texas and Missouri and the Pac-12 is in Colorado and Utah, not exactly Pacific Coast states. The paradigm has shifted, we’ve adjusted and I think we’re positioned to continue to be successful. We’ve got to win more, there’s no doubt about it, the SEC has dominated the football landscape. We’re not going to change who we play and where we play and when we play. Whether it’s a ACC basketball challenge, or a Rose Bowl challenge, or an SEC challenge, I do believe that we’ve got the resources and the coaches and tradition, we’re going to break through. Whether it happens this year or next year, I don’t know, but we’re committed to winning and competing for championships.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/football/2013-08-10/qa-jim-delany.html

Reaction Score
In his words, I can see us being considered. He knows New England (and more of NYC and NY state) really remains untapped.

Reaction Score
Q: Whether it happens this year or next year, I don’t know, but we’re committed to winning and competing for championships.

And selecting one of the top 3 BB programs in the country over the last 15 years doesn't hurt either.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We’re going to get out East, I don’t expect that to be easy, but it we can gauge constructively with distributors, I think there’s a valued proposition there.

This is the quote that holds our fate. It means that there is uncertainty in the likelihood of establishing the BTN in the NYC DMA. If you live in Fairfield county, you better fight cablevision tooth and nail if they try to force the BTN on your 1st tier. Threaten to go to dish. Write letters. Escalate up that phone tree. If you think the YES battle was ugly, this needs to be 100x that. We need to make it clear to Delaney, that he doesn't get NYC without us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is the quote that holds our fate. It means that there is uncertainty in the likelihood of establishing the BTN in the NYC DMA. If you live in Fairfield county, you better fight cablevision tooth and nail if they try to force the BTN on your 1st tier. Threaten to go to dish. Write letters. Escalate up that phone tree. If you think the YES battle was ugly, this needs to be 100x that. We need to make it clear to Delaney, that he doesn't get NYC without us.
Reply just to bump this.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Kicking ESPN out of the CT sounds like the intelligent thing to do... and getting angry will help.

Do you really think ESPN has a wish to destroy Uconn? For what purpose? We have had a great relationship with them since their inception. But we have had terrible press lately because of the actions of some at the University level. Our academic and player scandals falls on the back of Calhoun. He brought those guys in and didn't follow through with them. It is his fault and we paid the price. Great coach but we are paying for it. Also we have not won consistently in the only sport that matters to television and that is football.

But the real reason Uconn is not in a different conference is not because of ESPN... We were blackballed by BC, FL St., Clemson, Miami... We turned down a 100+ million contract with ESPN and they got pissed. Then we were blackballed by out friends at SU, Pitt and Louisville. We were abandoned by the Big East catholic schools who wanted out of the football game. We started D1 to late in the process. Forget how long we have been playing football... we have no name recognition right now and that is the unfortunate part of this whole saga. Leagues want names that viewers know... not teams that have potential. This is the reality of our situation.

The person that deserves the most blame is Blumenthal. His political grand standing is what led us to where we are and even though we have different players in the game Miami, BC, and Va Tech will not forget. If we just kept our mouth shut and just developed our brand I believe we would never have been in this situation.

We all want out. We are going to be waiting awhile for someone to call. It may be though it looks less likely every day the B1G. It could be the ACC if they go to 16. It could be a D4 hodgepodge of schools across the United States. Who knows? But anger and hatred toward a company that is bring jobs to a state that is still stuck in the recession while others are turned around is just plain stupid. If you don't like what they have to say... just turn it off.

Reaction Score
"we’re committed to winning and competing for championships"

The more Delany uses this line, the better for us.

Reaction Score
Kicking ESPN out of the CT sounds like the intelligent thing to do... and getting angry will help.

Do you really think ESPN has a wish to destroy Uconn? For what purpose? We have had a great relationship with them since their inception. But we have had terrible press lately because of the actions of some at the University level. Our academic and player scandals falls on the back of Calhoun. He brought those guys in and didn't follow through with them. It is his fault and we paid the price. Great coach but we are paying for it. Also we have not won consistently in the only sport that matters to television and that is football.

But the real reason Uconn is not in a different conference is not because of ESPN... We were blackballed by BC, FL St., Clemson, Miami... We turned down a 100+ million contract with ESPN and they got pissed. Then we were blackballed by out friends at SU, Pitt and Louisville. We were abandoned by the Big East catholic schools who wanted out of the football game. We started D1 to late in the process. Forget how long we have been playing football... we have no name recognition right now and that is the unfortunate part of this whole saga. Leagues want names that viewers know... not teams that have potential. This is the reality of our situation.

The person that deserves the most blame is Blumenthal. His political grand standing is what led us to where we are and even though we have different players in the game Miami, BC, and Va Tech will not forget. If we just kept our mouth shut and just developed our brand I believe we would never have been in this situation.

We all want out. We are going to be waiting awhile for someone to call. It may be though it looks less likely every day the B1G. It could be the ACC if they go to 16. It could be a D4 hodgepodge of schools across the United States. Who knows? But anger and hatred toward a company that is bring jobs to a state that is still stuck in the recession while others are turned around is just plain stupid. If you don't like what they have to say... just turn it off.

I think we are quite aware of the reality of Connecticut's economy and the history of expansion. I agree with most of what you say, but am only talking about political pressure in my sarcastic manner. It was in response to Delaney's quote about "we will talk to ESPN because they have been a good long-term partner". I believe the state has been a good long-term partner with ESPN, and Rasmussen's baby used to televise UCONN baseball prior to the birth of ESPN

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When did Louisville or Pitt blackball UConn?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Time to tell ESPN to move to Carolina or NJ and pull the plug on the credits

They never should have gotten the credits to begin with.

ESPN stinks

Reaction Score
Cablevision has dropped the B1G network from my lineup in Litchfield county.

Reaction Score

That BC fan really loves your post.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think the Penn State-Maryland, Penn State-Rutgers, Penn State-Ohio State and those rivalries speak for themselves.

...well, Penn State-Ohio State, I agree, but, um...

Reaction Score
Lack of name recognition? How many players do we have in the NFL now? We have name recognition where it matters most. If I am correct, we do have more NFL (and CFL) champions than we do NBA champions.

Our football program did play some excellent games at the FBS level. Winning a major bowl is the next step.

Reaction Score
Is it ESPN's fault that they took advantage of policies implemented by CT's incompetent Gov, voted in by the 47%? And in CT the 47% is more like 55-60%. A BCU grad, awesome irony!

They never should have gotten the credits to begin with.

ESPN stinks

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm sure ESPN was asked advice regarding how they valued certain universities the ACC was considering. So my thought is I don't want ESPN to be cozy with B!G in the next contract. Let it be Fox. That way each conference ( B!G and ACC) does not know what is being discussed between the other conference and their media partner.

Reaction Score
I'm sure ESPN was asked advice regarding how they valued certain universities the ACC was considering. So my thought is I don't want ESPN to be cozy with B!G in the next contract. Let it be Fox. That way each conference ( B!G and ACC) does not know what is being discussed between the other conference and their media partner.

The probability of Big Ten going all in into either FOX or ESPN is pretty slim - I expect it to split fairly evenly between the two channels, with FOX getting a larger share.

edit : word mix-up

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The probability of Big Ten going all in into either FOX or ESPN is pretty slim - I expect it to split fairly evenly between the two conferences, with FOX getting a larger share.
You're probably right but I'm hoping Fox has other aspirations.

Reaction Score
...well, Penn State-Ohio State, I agree, but, um...
I know how you feel....its good to let those thoughts out but OSU already had their rival for well over a century!Maybe hes talking finding a proper 1 for PSU in the B1G ?Every school has one special BIG CLOSE rival in conference and its hoped one of there new neighboring conference mates develop into that.If you guys get in UCONN/MD due to RE is a ready made natural and both are known more for hoops!Mds WBB is also pretty darn good!Im thinking thats the "vision"!I think UConn will get added very soon(16/17 ) to add value in the new TV contract talks when they move to 16 teams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom