Delany on BTN Live from MSG about Conference Expansion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Delany on BTN Live from MSG about Conference Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I'm of the same mind. ESPN won't allow an ACC team to be taken and holds the cards (bidding on the B1G contract) to get its way.

That means UConn is the only available east coast property.

Texas is also in the ESPN orbit and won't be available. That leaves Oklahoma and Kansas as the only attractive properties available. Of those three, the ranking is probably Oklahoma and UConn ahead of Kansas, though Kansas is deserving too.

Oklahoma State is probably attractive enough to get an SEC bid if the B12 breaks up, so I don't think the sister would be a major issue. But, if in order to escape the B12 GoR you had to assemble a critical mass of B12 teams, I could see Oklahoma and Kansas going together to the B1G.

If you look at the situation from ESPN and Fox's point of view, the deemphisis of the Big12 might be a net positive. Moving the more national programs to different conferences can make them money while still providing the leftovers + Texas media coverage (and making money) in the Big12 area. ESPN needs winter programming for the SECN. Kentucky and Florida basketball isn't enough to keep the ad dollars rolling in.mthey need more. ESPN already owns Kansas' tier 3 media, put them in the SEC and now you have two bluebloods that can really boost winter ad money. Add Cincinnati to the SEC and you get more basketball in a new large market. The BTN already has a decent amount of winter programming and UConn will help that as well.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If OU is looking to get out, than I'm sure they have top people looking on it.
I think we both know that doesn't always go well.
hqdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
I have a bottle of Ardbog saved and ready for the occasion.
My father took us from Memorial to the Rent. Mocked my brother and I's choice of tailgate beer as "Panther Piss." Passed away unexpectedly in 2011 after watching the two of us play hockey for the final time ironically at the Rent when they had the rink down. I have a 6 pack of "Panther Piss" waiting to be drunk once it is finally announced. I've been a doubter. That video was the first time I actually believed it will happen.

Reaction Score
I was talking to another booster last night. I haven't attended a group function in a long while since I spend so much time here at my WNC cabin.

He said one of the noodlings that guys talk about over a beer is "What was the ACC up to with their proposition to deregulate the conference championship and divisions".

One different take was....With 14 football members, the ACC could move now to secure a 15th football member while they were still available on the board....and still keep the 16th slot open for Notre Dame. The thinking was that 16 members will become the norm. The use of pods would allow to have a temporary 15 member football conference with a CCG. A 16th member would eventually allow two divisions.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I was talking to another booster last night. I haven't attended a group function in a long while since I spend so much time here at my WNC cabin.

He said one of the noodlings that guys talk about over a beer is "What was the ACC up to with their proposition to deregulate the conference championship and divisions".

One different take was....With 14 football members, the ACC could move now to secure a 15th football member while they were still available on the board....and still keep the 16th slot open for Notre Dame. The thinking was that 16 members will become the norm. The use of pods would allow to have a temporary 15 member football conference with a CCG. A 16th member would eventually allow two divisions.
I don't think there is any prohibition to having an 8 team and another 7 team division.

Reaction Score
The unequal scheduling does not have support....especially from the coaches. Just like the proposed 9 game schedule did not have support from Clemson, GT, FSU, or Louisville...who have an instate rivalry game every year.

The in state rivalry games and the five Notre Dame games a year make OOC scheduling pretty inflexible at times for those teams with those two teams already on the schedule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22