Delaney Reiterates B1G Offices Moving East | The Boneyard

Delaney Reiterates B1G Offices Moving East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ve/?wprss=rss_terrapins-insider&tid=pp_widget

>> Delany said the Big Ten is currently looking at New York for new conference offices, anticipating “some space early in 2014.” He also speculated the conference might open a satellite office in Washington, and projected some Big Ten championships moving to the East Coast.

“I think we’ll have championships in the East,” he said. “I think we’ll have basketball championships in the East and other championships. We’re in two regions of the country and we expect to have championships in both regions of the country.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...filling-east-coast-plan-with-maryland-rutgers

Second article is from around this time last year, which first stated the B1G's plan to move offices East.

Delaney clearly leans East. Let's hope he respects UConn's basketball pull in the city enough to keep us on the radar through our current FB pains.

Reaction Score
Why would Delaney open a B1G office farther east than any current or new B1G member?
If NYC is important to the B1G, then UConn is important to the B1G.

Here's hoping for a call from the AAU and then the B1G!!

Reaction Score
hey big jim, we can make plenty of office space for you guys in storrs overlooking our brand new b-ball practice facilities

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If the B1G is serious about a basketball championship in NYC, then it has to get serious about bringing UCONN aboard. As many a Big East Championships can attest, there is nothing quite like a MSG atmosphere when UCONN is playing there in a big game.

Reaction Score
An interesting note from the symposium;bold emphasis is mine.
Have not had a chance to listen to confirm; if reporting is correct sounds like two additional schools were interested in joining but not accepted by the B1G.
Hard to believe Virginia and/or North Carolina and/or Georgia Tech would actually be turned down by the B1G if these schools were actually interested at that time in making a move from the ACC to B1G.
Given these schools stated desire to remain in the ACC and agreeing to increased ACC exit fee and subsequent agreement to GOR, it sounds like different schools than above and makes me wander: what other two schools?

There was one panelists who still was not fond of the move, however. Board of Regent, Tom McMillen did give Loh and Anderson credit for making the bold move to help the athletic department’s financial woes, but said the way in which it happened was unacceptable.
He still does not agree with the haste of the decision and explained that the regents were all called in last minute to make a vote on the move.
“When you’ve been in business for 60 years and you can’t pick up the phone because of a confidentiality agreement, I don’t think that’s how the process should work,” McMillen said.
Delany agreed, and then gave a little more background on why the secrecy was necessary.
Maryland was one of four schools the conference was looking to include and instead of putting the names out there, the Big Ten decided to be tight-lipped about it, so the schools not chosen wouldn’t have to deal with that media frenzy.
http://povichcenter.org/povich-symposium-a-b1g-hit/

Reaction Score
Not really moving East, since the HQ will still be based out of Chicago, but opening up additional offices in the east coast.

As for the other 2 that were looked at and rejected, I think there's enough data out there that suggests that Cincinnati was one of them. Not sure about the other one that the Big Ten has officially admitted to rejecting.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big 10 would go get a root canal before they looked at Cincinnati as a member.

I think the UConn talk to the Big 10 is nonsense but they aren't looking at fantasies like Cincy.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying that they were seriously looking at Cincinnati as a member.

Delany made a statement a few months back that certain schools made inquires about membership and said somewhere along the lines of "for one of the schools - the location was good but it doubled up on markets and they weren't academically up to snuff to be in serious consideration."

Within the message boards that was interpreted as a reference to Cincy but it's all speculation.

Reaction Score
Delany made a statement a few months back that certain schools made inquires about membership and said somewhere along the lines of "for one of the schools - the location was good but it doubled up on markets and they weren't academically up to snuff to be in serious consideration."

That loosely describes us, unfortunately (doubling up on NYC, not being in the AAU).

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
An interesting note from the symposium;bold emphasis is mine.
Have not had a chance to listen to confirm; if reporting is correct sounds like two additional schools were interested in joining but not accepted by the B1G.
Hard to believe Virginia and/or North Carolina and/or Georgia Tech would actually be turned down by the B1G if these schools were actually interested at that time in making a move from the ACC to B1G.
Given these schools stated desire to remain in the ACC and agreeing to increased ACC exit fee and subsequent agreement to GOR, it sounds like different schools than above and makes me wander: what other two schools?

There was one panelists who still was not fond of the move, however. Board of Regent, Tom McMillen did give Loh and Anderson credit for making the bold move to help the athletic department’s financial woes, but said the way in which it happened was unacceptable.
He still does not agree with the haste of the decision and explained that the regents were all called in last minute to make a vote on the move.
“When you’ve been in business for 60 years and you can’t pick up the phone because of a confidentiality agreement, I don’t think that’s how the process should work,” McMillen said.
Delany agreed, and then gave a little more background on why the secrecy was necessary.
Maryland was one of four schools the conference was looking to include and instead of putting the names out there, the Big Ten decided to be tight-lipped about it, so the schools not chosen wouldn’t have to deal with that media frenzy.
http://povichcenter.org/povich-symposium-a-b1g-hit/
I don't think the 2 other schools were necessarily rejected, per se. If the B1G was looking at them, then it wasn't a Cinci. At the time Maryland was added, UNC had no idea what was going on per the released email trail. So, in all likelihood one of the other two schools was Virginia (since Swofford made a special trip there to persuade them to sign the GOR). The other may have been UConn...and no Virginia, means no UConn. To further speculate, recall how silent UConn was after Maryland left and the ACC needed a spot to fill -- I'm still of the opinion that we had talks with the B1G and we were just waiting on Virginia.

Reaction Score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ve/?wprss=rss_terrapins-insider&tid=pp_widget

>> Delany said the Big Ten is currently looking at New York for new conference offices, anticipating “some space early in 2014.” He also speculated the conference might open a satellite office in Washington, and projected some Big Ten championships moving to the East Coast.

“I think we’ll have championships in the East,” he said. “I think we’ll have basketball championships in the East and other championships. We’re in two regions of the country and we expect to have championships in both regions of the country.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...filling-east-coast-plan-with-maryland-rutgers

Second article is from around this time last year, which first stated the B1G's plan to move offices East.

Delaney clearly leans East. Let's hope he respects UConn's basketball pull in the city enough to keep us on the radar through our current FB pains.

I think the fact that he focused on basketball bodes well for UConn. Even with Rutgers there isn't enough of an eastern presence to justify putting a championship outside the existing B1G footprint. I know that there are lots of B1G alums in the NY area, but I still don't see it.

Add UConn to the B1G and it makes more sense. I think Delany wants UConn, but he still has to sell the idea to others in the B1G.

Reaction Score
Barry Alvarez said that a 3rd school was turned down due to academics but never made mention of a 4th, my thought was it was Louisville, especially after Gordon Gee's shot at them. They had already been passed over by the Big 12 and probably felt it had no shot at the ACC. I like Cincinnati but if the Big Ten passed on a school like Pitt which pretty much resembles a Big Ten school in every way then Cincinnati will never have a shot, Ohio State would never support it and they dont have a brand name or identity that the rest of the Conference would overlook. My guess is if UConn was turned down it was because there wasnt a 16th school worth adding and Rutgers just made more sense from an institutional standpoint

Reaction Score
I also think the AAU angle is way overblown, if it was that important they wouldnt have voted in Nebraska knowing they were going to be voted out especially by Michigan and Wisconsin. As long as UConn continues showing a willingness to upgrade academics like theyve been and athletics, which the Basketball brand and having a Hockey program can outweigh the Football issues, then I believe they'll have the votes necessary for membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom