Degree Path in UCONN Football | The Boneyard

Degree Path in UCONN Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
FIrst year 100 level coursework - Fall Semester:

Introduction to Football 101 (3 hrs)
Scouting Opponents 101 (3 hrs)
Scouting Opponents Laboratory (Film Study) (2hrs)
Fundamentals of Football 101 - Blocking and Tackling (3hr)
Fundamentals of Football 101 - Laboratory (Practice - 25 hrs)
Modern History of UCONN Football 101 Division 1A years (2hrs)

Those last 2 hrs are the most important, I think. For 100 level football.

Let's break that course down.

Week 1. Trailers.
Week 2. Randy Edsall doctrine - Building a winning program - Turnovers
Week 3. Turnovers and the difficulty of winning football.
Week 4. Turnovers make it hard to win.
Week 5. Fundamentals of protecting the ball when carrying it.
Week 6. Fundamentals of decision making when throwing
Week 7. Turnovers make it hard to win.

Mid Terms: Essay format: Why it's hard to win when you turn it over.

Week 8. Turnovers make it hard to win.
Week 9. Turnovers make it hard to win.
Week 10. Overcoming fear of turnovers in playing.
Week 11. Overcoming fear of turnovers in coaching.
Week 12. Review of protecting the ball.
Week 13. Review of overcoming fear of turnovers.

Final Exam. Practical. Fumble stripping drills.

Fans to Diaco:

We get that you turned the team around. THey are a team again. A Brotherhood, they fight hard for each other and the name on the front of the uniform. We fans want them to win so much, and we will come.

You don't need to prove it to us anymore by digging a hole every week. We get it. THey can fight through adversity. That is awesome.

Week 3 was an improvement, early - we only turned it over once in the first quarter.

How about we settle on a rotation now that season is starting, and we get to practice fundamentals, instead of procedure. BLocking, tackling, and holding on to the football. Practice the fundamentals.

We're 1-2 through 3 games, and realistically, that is exactly what we should be, given where we are coming from, it just irks me, sticks in my gut, that we win game 3, if we don't turn it over. Without a doubt. WIth the swiss cheese OL, with all the growing pains,

WIth simple discipline in Randy Edsall UCONN football history 101 - principlies of winning - turnovers - we win.

LEt's get there.

Reaction Score
I have looked at Newsome's fumble multiple times now. I want to blame the back. I can't. The darn kid got hit so quick that the QB exchange was instantaneous.

Wrapping the ball. Each of these early fumbles kill us. It is simply unbelievable. But ... do we really think ball safety drills would have saved 3 scores. flukey

Reaction Score
I have looked at Newsome's fumble multiple times now. I want to blame the back. I can't. The darn kid got hit so quick that the QB exchange was instantaneous.

Wrapping the ball. Each of these early fumbles kill us. It is simply unbelievable. But ... do we really think ball safety drills would have saved 3 scores. flukey

I agree that there was a massive failure at the LOS, but still - hold the ball. Donald Brown wasn't a first round draft pick for just his ability to run.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken he got hit by nose guard as soon as he got the ball. The ng can't be in that deep that quick unless someone totally whiffed. I don't know if it was Mateas on that play but I thought he had a real rough day inside.

Reaction Score
Let's try to keep on point for just a minute or two. Even with the massive failures in blocking that occurred pretty much all day. Even with the defensive breakdowns, and the failure to contain on the end around, TD, and the clear as day post pattern TD, we are very much in position to win that game, without the turnovers. Yes a TB got hit as soon as he got the handoff, a WR got the ball stripped. Fundamentals. We really haven't had time IMO, to practice fundamentals, with the system we've been using of massive substitutions, they're practicing more procedure than fundamentals - they have to be. Maybe I'm wrong, but whatever, it shows on game day. We are a disciplined team, procedure wise, but we are bad in fundamentals. BLocking and tackling, holding the ball, getting stripped.

Boise tried another end around, later in the game, and we stayed home and defended well. BLockign improved during the game. Yadda Yadda - we still lost.

I'm tired of making excuses for losing. We lost, because we turned it over. That needs to stop.

Hopefully we settle on a rotation, tighten it up, the roster, and get to practicing fundamentals to go with the procedure discipline. BLocking tackling ball protection, strippling it.

Again - Bob Diaco has proven without a doubt, that he's turned the team into a team again. They play hard, and they don't crumble at adversity.

There really is no need to dig a hole anymore every week to prove it to us fans.

Reaction Score
So Mateas, didn't even bother to chip him, and headed straight for the backer, so clearly he thought someone else was accounting for that guy. It couldn't have been one of the guards, maybe cruz though? Anyway you can't sidestep the guy directly in front of you like that on that type of play. Maybe on a toss sweep but damn, Newsome got blown up.

Reaction Score
That looks like Mateas ignored the NG and went to the LB at the second level. Samra cracked down on the DE. Big time miscommunication between those 2. The NG literally walked into the backfield untouched. That can't happen.

Reaction Score
Forgive the intrusion, but watch a Husky women's basketball practice some day. Geno gets more than his share of topnotch players from around the country, but does he assume they know anything about basketball? No.

He wants them to do everything his way. They start everything from the ground up, and practice it until they can't get it wrong.

There was a remarkable revelation just a few days ago with the US National Team Geno is preparing for the FIBA World Cup coming up soon in Turkey. A professional women's player who gave UConn fits while she played college ball for Baylor, said in an interview that she really learned a lot from Geno while trying out for this team, just now coming to the time they'll be cutting players down from 24 to the limit of 12.

She was the point guard on the 40-0 Baylor team in 2012, an All-American feared by everyone in the women's game, but she didn't know some basic ideas that every UConn freshman wbb player gets trained in during their first month.

How does this kind of thing happen?

Reaction Score
That looks like Mateas ignored the NG and went to the LB at the second level. Samra cracked down on the DE. Big time miscommunication between those 2. The NG literally walked into the backfield untouched. That can't happen.
The play was going to Samra's side so I doubt he was going to crack down on the NG, as he had a man over him as well no? Truthfully, I just think Mateas had a costly brainfart on that one.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Forgive the intrusion, but watch a Husky women's basketball practice some day. Geno gets more than his share of topnotch players from around the country, but does he assume they know anything about basketball? No.

He wants them to do everything his way. They start everything from the ground up, and practice it until they can't get it wrong.

There was a remarkable revelation just a few days ago with the US National Team Geno is preparing for the FIBA World Cup coming up soon in Turkey. A professional women's player who gave UConn fits while she played college ball for Baylor, said in an interview that she really learned a lot from Geno while trying out for this team, just now coming to the time they'll be cutting players down from 24 to the limit of 12.

She was the point guard on the 40-0 Baylor team in 2012, an All-American feared by everyone in the women's game, but she didn't know some basic ideas that every UConn freshman wbb player gets trained in during their first month.

Maybe she was kissing the of the coach who was picking the players? That's how it can happen.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Not to comment on Geno (beyond the obvious question, how fundamentally sound was the 1986-1987 squad?) but a large portion of the current football roster spent 3 1/3 seasons (including three full spring and three full summer training camps) with a staff whose leadership felt the players should already be fully developed fundamentally.

This (drilling sound fundamental play into a roster) takes time and considering the comparative size of the rosters, number of players in action on any given play and the overall complexities of schemes, it takes far more time in football than it does in basketball.

PS - another point is that I have seen numerous occasions where a women's player was pulled for what could most politely be described as a mental error. While Geno is a tremendous teacher, there are times when 25% of the way into a season the team is not quit ready for a tournament run.

Reaction Score
The more i see that Newsome fumble the more bothered i get about our OL...Mateas couldve at least put a hat on the NG instead giving him a free shot into our backfield...on a 3 man defensive front.... a 3 man defensive front....smh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom