Defensive POY question | The Boneyard

Defensive POY question

Reaction Score
I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this. What numbers/stats do they use to compute the Defensive POY? Obviously steals, blocks, caused blocking fouls ...What else?

Reaction Score
I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this. What numbers/stats do they use to compute the Defensive POY? Obviously steals, blocks, caused blocking fouls ...What else?
Unless I am mistaken, the "they" are the coaches and I am sure it is the eye test and the way the players performed against their team and the level of consistency that they saw on film, scouting etc.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
For a while, it seemed like DPOY awards were going to "post" players that had a lot of blocks. I look for who makes life miserable for a key player on the other team, whether it be limiting touches, low scoring, etc.

Reaction Score
Unless I am mistaken, the "they" are the coaches and I am sure it is the eye test and the way the players performed against their team and the level of consistency that they saw on film, scouting etc.

Yes, there are no stats used and there are no specific guidelines in the Big East bylaws as to how to determine any of the awards. Coaches use their judgement.

Reaction Score
Not sure you can truly measure Defensive POY with stats. Players like Edwards have had a great year keeping some of the toughest opponents from not shooting or passing. Not sure you can measure the consistent performance she has put in when much of it is hand to hand combat.

Reaction Score
I might not be remembering this right, but I think that during half time at the Phil Knight tourney game Caitlin Clark told her teammates that every time she looked up that girl was glued to my face. I’m pretty sure that Caitlin was referring to Nika. If so, that would be a pretty good metric to consider when voting for defensive player of the year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom