Defensive game plan was terrible | The Boneyard

Defensive game plan was terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just finished watching the game. I was shocked how UConn tried to defend the triple option in the first half. DTs were clogging the middle, outside LBs were playing almost inside of the TEs, and the safeties were deep. It was like a cakewalk for Army to run the sweep as they had more blockers than UConn had defenders on the outside. Plus, our LBs were playing the inside cut by the QB instead of sealing the edge. And, they never were hitting the option QB, just passively daring him to pitch. Army ran the sweep at will.

I figured that Diaco's and staff would make adjustments in the 2nd half. Nope.

Bottom line is that Diaco's defense is not geared to stop the option and he didn't adjust the defensive strategy for the game. Army's coaches totally out coached UConn's coaches

UConn hired a head coach with no head coaching experience and it showed today. I like the Diaco hire, but he is still learning how to coach. Bottom line, this loss is on Diaco and the coaches.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
He better learn how to stop the option quick as Navy will be here next year. As someone said in another thread, Diaco has mixed results in stopping Navy while DC at ND. His team won but mostly from outscoring Navy.

Reaction Score
in summation as has been stated manymanymany moons ago:

UCONN does not have a head coach (old adage-cut head off snake to watch it unravel; with UCONN it is much easier, opponent doesnt even have to get messy b/c snake is headless)

just a contingent of uncoordinated coordinators

ad is/was foosball guru & big little 10 playa in dee big house on dee big stage

current evaluation: not so much

where be dat super starr?

Reaction Score
He better learn how to stop the option quick as Navy will be here next year. As someone said in another thread, Diaco has mixed results in stopping Navy while DC at ND. His team won but mostly from outscoring Navy.
That's usually how teams with football games.

Reaction Score
Army is tough to defend. Yes we should have done a better job but this loss is on the offense. We needed to out score Army and we couldn't. That was the pitiful part.

Reaction Score
Army is tough to defend. Yes we should have done a better job but this loss is on the offense. We needed to out score Army and we couldn't. That was the pitiful part.

Agreed, offense - and specifically mistakes and ineptitude in offense, lost us this game - not the defensive performance.

Reaction Score
I can't help but notice that Georgia Tech puts up 40+ every week. Navy almost beat ND. Why aren't more teams running this offense? It is a joy to watch and obviously tough to stop. It shortens the game, and gives your defense plenty of rest because of the long sustaining drives.

Serious question, Why aren't more team running this offense? I'd love to see UCONN become Georgia Tech North, at least it would give us a badly needed identity.

Paul Johnson is a Genius. He builds programs that win with this offense long after he is gone. Georgia Southern is still a monster and Navy goes bowling just about every year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't help but notice that Georgia Tech puts up 40+ every week. Navy almost beat ND. Why aren't more team running this offense? It is a joy to watch and obviously tough to stop. It shortens the game, and gives your defense plenty of rest because of the long sustaining drives.

Serious question, Why aren't more team running this offense? I'd love to see UCONN become Georgia Tech North, at least it would give us a badly needed identity.
Remember how terrible GT was a couple years ago? They have come a long way. They have good recruiting area plus the benefit of being in the ACC. They run a similar offense to Army but with better athletes. Results speak volumes. The option is difficult to stop and defend.

Reaction Score
Couldn't we do the same thing?
Of course. Not sure it would ever take the program to the next level, but it could certainly work to make for a successful offensive attack when performed effectively.

Reaction Score
There is a good reason most teams don't use it. Most coaches know how to stop it.
That and good luck recruiting for it. Most kids don't want to play option football. Certainly not WRs. The spread with zone reads is the closest you are going to get to that in modern times. It works for the academies because they are disciplined and focused and could care less about stats. GA Tech is the only school running option in FBS as its base offense that isn't a service academy.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Georgia Tech's record and points per game suggests otherwise.

More stars in alignment than a winning strategy. Army is 3-6, someone knows how to stop it. And we did score on Army, three TD's in about six possessions. Army had the ball most of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom