DEFENSIVE FILM REVIEW: Assessing The Positives & Negatives From The Season Opening Loss to UCF | The Boneyard

DEFENSIVE FILM REVIEW: Assessing The Positives & Negatives From The Season Opening Loss to UCF

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Interesting, so per Matt, no snaps for Gilmartin? And Garson had far more snaps than I realized.

Reaction Score
Different scheme, same passive defense. Base front with no pre-snap movement, ten yard cushions, read and react, doomed us last year, if it doesn't change expect more of the same.

Reaction Score
Nice review.
I rewatched the game last night. We actually looked better, to me, on TV than from my end zone seats.

We did some good things on D but Milton made us pay dearly for our mistakes, found our weak spots and kept attacking them. The fast pace added to our inability to read and react.

This was a baptism by fire for this team, but they will learn much more from this than playing an FCS team.

I like this raw young D. I think this team will grow into itself over the course of the season. Let's see if I feel that way two weeks from now.

Reaction Score
Different scheme, same passive defense. Base front with no pre-snap movement, ten yard cushions, read and react, doomed us last year, if it doesn't change expect more of the same.

What would you have done? Blitzed more? Every time we brought pressure it was picked up by their OL and/or Milton was able to scramble and it set up big plays. Played tighter coverage? They weren't throwing underneath - we were still getting beat deep and on crossing routes. There was nothing that our less-talented less experienced defense was going to throw at that veteran team to change the outcome. When these Freshmen are Juniors, I'll have much higher expectations.

Reaction Score

Corners were up on receivers far more than last year, so you're objectively wrong there. And how do you get pre-snap movement when there is only 8-10 seconds between snaps?

Reaction Score
I watched the 1st half last night. Felt we weren't physically outmatched as it was having no way to handle their tempo. I think the defense will surprise us a few times this year if they're confidence isn't totally shut.

Reaction Score
Interesting, so per Matt, no snaps for Gilmartin? And Garson had far more snaps than I realized.

Gilmartin absolutely played unless I am losing my mind which is also possible. But I watched him blitz in several plays.

Reaction Score
Gilmartin absolutely played unless I am losing my mind which is also possible. But I watched him blitz in several plays.
Also though Uguak was in for more than 1 percent of the plays.

Reaction Score
I can't see HCRE doing this, but if you watched VT game, they did a nice job of having defenders get "injured" between plays to slow tempo. It was pretty obvious many of these stoppages were simply to slow down FSU - and it worked. As Herbstreit said, not illegal but unethical.

Reaction Score
I can't see HCRE doing this, but if you watched VT game, they did a nice job of having defenders get "injured" between plays to slow tempo. It was pretty obvious many of these stoppages were simply to slow down FSU - and it worked. As Herbstreit said, not illegal but unethical.

I believe we did this once in the 2nd half. After we made a tackle on our own sideline, the DB popped about 1/2 way back up and then went back down. He might've been injured, but to me it appeared it was to slow down the tempo. Only difference is, it didn't work for us :)

Reaction Score
Also though Uguak was in for more than 1 percent of the plays.

Thanks for reading! The 1% refers to the one play he was in at defensive tackle when the defense went to a true 3-3-5 (he was the nose tackle) and brought Eddie Hahn in as the 3rd LB in the 4th quarter. The rest of Uguak's plays are tracked at his natural defensive end position (in the mid-40% range).

Reaction Score
I never saw him on the field. Of course its often hard to tell with numbers that are close. I did see Rhakim Williams on the field for at least one play. I never saw Eddie Hahn although I now know he played one play. Both Beavers (43) and Swenson (44) both came on a blitz on several plays.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I never saw him on the field. Of course its often hard to tell with numbers that are close. I did see Rhakim Williams on the field for at least one play. I never saw Eddie Hahn although I now know he played one play. Both Beavers (43) and Swenson (44) both came on a blitz on several plays.
Yeah, I never saw Gilmartin either. And I haven't bothered to watch for a third time.

Reaction Score

It's crazy how conferences have fully endorsed the fast pace. Officials used replace the ball at the same pace regardless of who had the ball. Now, if one team is running a hurry up, you can see the officiating crews scrambling to get the ball back in play as soon as possible -- sometimes within 5 seconds of when the play is blown dead. I'm all for doing whatever you can to fight it.

Reaction Score
Thanks Matt

I liked seeing Herring-Wilson play well; and I feel better about Paul & Carroll after watching this. Both can improve and played well for their first college experience. I think I feel better than Bell-Summers. Kevon Jones, also, came out with numbers and made his presence in his first game. Room for improvement on all 4.

Reaction Score
It's crazy how conferences have fully endorsed the fast pace. Officials used replace the ball at the same pace regardless of who had the ball. Now, if one team is running a hurry up, you can see the officiating crews scrambling to get the ball back in play as soon as possible -- sometimes within 5 seconds of when the play is blown dead. I'm all for doing whatever you can to fight it.

I noticed that in the UConn game.
Officials clearly making an effort to get the ball back to the line of scrimmage ASAP.
The pace they use should be consistent regardless of the teams playing.

Reaction Score
We had three lbs playing alot of snaps.
All 6ft and 225,218 and 197. Mlb at 6 and 225 playing goal line. Thats Coast Guard size.

Kevon Jones is 6-2 230. These videos made me think he can develop and was more active than I thought. That's the start. Swenson plays a role: if you go through Phil Steele's book, more and more FBS are playing this type of LB/NB/Husky.

Weak depth - imho - and we haven't seen much from several guys. This used to be a strength.

Reaction Score
Kevon Jones is 6-2 230. These videos made me think he can develop and was more active than I thought. That's the start. Swenson plays a role: if you go through Phil Steele's book, more and more FBS are playing this type of LB/NB/Husky.

Weak depth - imho - and we haven't seen much from several guys. This used to be a strength.
He is up to 250 now Pudge. Its a miracle. But was refering to Sterling. They just had Swenson getting overwhelmed in the middle at times. I do like Swenson over Terry. Just thought they were light in back of the line. Hoping to see more of Jones too.

Reaction Score

I remember the officials doing the same thing last year we we tried to go superfast. Seems to be the new world order....

Reaction Score
Corners were up on receivers far more than last year, so you're objectively wrong there. And how do you get pre-snap movement when there is only 8-10 seconds between snaps?

On the VERY FIRST PLAY of the film study Two DBs had more than 10-yard cushions.

GO BACK WATCH IT!!!!!!!

I noticed it watching live. BTW, pre-snap movements only take a second.

Good grief. Go to a game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There were some 12 yard cushions. I watched every play.

And pre-snap movements only take a second.

Good grief. Go to a game.

Good grief, I watched every play from inside the stadium, around the 35 yard line, as I do all the time.

You need to get your eyes checked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom