Defense... Good things to *Come* or Mirage | The Boneyard

Defense... Good things to *Come* or Mirage

Where will out defense be at the end of this year?

• Top 50 (NCAA rank currently 27th) In "Spanos We Trust"

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • 51-75 Middle of the Pack

Votes: 36 37.1%
  • 76-99 Forgettable But Keep Us In Games This Year

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • 100-130 "Reality Will Set In"

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Too early to tell, but the first 2 games are promising. So far they look competent.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Better, visibly better. Still too many slow guys in the two deep. Need another year before you can be at all comfortable that any given play isn't going for 6. At least I'm comfortable that every play isn't going for 6 anymore.

Reaction Score
You bet good things to come, everyone comes back next year sans Kyle Williams. Yes Morgan came to us with two years of eligibility.

On offense we only lose Peart, Art Thompkins, and Ardel Brown.

(assuming no more key transfers)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You bet good things to come, everyone comes back next year sans Kyle Williams. Yes Morgan came to us with two years of eligibility.

On offense we only lose Peart, Art Thompkins, and Ardel Brown.

(assuming no more key transfers)
Those are not insignificant losses...We really need to find a high quality running back next year. Mensah isn’t the guy to carry a run based game plan to victory.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
better than last year so far. Team speed has improved and I like the front seven so far. The corners need to play better and tackle better, but they are improved as well from last year's disaster

Reaction Score
Those are not insignificant losses...We really need to find a high quality running back next year. Mensah isn’t the guy to carry a run based game plan to victory.
We have Dante Black and O’Reily waiting for their shot. If either Mensah or Tompkins don’t produce then give them guys a shot.

Reaction Score
I think what we are seeing from the defense is real for 3 reasons -

1. DE/OLB upgrades -Setting the edge and rushing the passer - Dillon Harris & Kevon Jones at DE/OLB slots was a brilliant move. Gets sturdy, athletic players on the edge. These guys can run, tackle, rush the passer, or even dabble in covering the flat.

2. MLB/SS Upgrades - DJ Morgan and Diamond Harrel shore up the middle of the defense big time. They both tackle well and can run to the ball. Most importantly, they are smart. Whether or not they make the play, the other players can trust that they will be where they are supposed to be. This was not the case with last years MLB/SS options.

3. The pups are a year older/stronger and more aware - Travis Jones is a monster. Keyshawn Paul can tackle, and is lightyears ahead of last year in coverage and swagger. Lwal Uguak is playing the correct position( SDE, Rush DT).

What that all adds up to is a much more cohesive unit. Coverage is tighter, pass rush is more dangerous, and they are much more sound on assignments and keys.

Reaction Score
We are 27th at this time, I hope we will be in the top 50 at the end.... I'd love to see us at 20 to 25...but I know it is MUCH IMPROVED from last year... Who is 130 this time?

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
We are 27th at this time, I hope we will be in the top 50 at the end.... I'd love to see us at 20 to 25...but I know it is MUCH IMPROVED from last year... Who is 130 this time?

Umass I think!

Reaction Score
Mid 70s I think is where they top this year. Still a lot of youth and inexperience. If they get the majority of the starters back next year think they get into the top 50

Reaction Score
Watched my DVR of the game today. In the 3rd QTR one of the announcers said he had seen UConn defenders make more big hits against Illinois than they did all last season. That statement may be literally true.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Mid 70s I think is where they top this year. Still a lot of youth and inexperience. If they get the majority of the starters back next year think they get into the top 50
Their entire defense is back next year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well - the next step here is to do it against Indiana on the road. Play like they did, hold Indiana, which has a better offense, to 30 points or less and then you can really start to buy into the notion we are on the upward swing. In the Wagner game the D was effective but not explosive. In the Illinois game the D made plays, a lot of plays - but still gave up 31 points.

Looking forward to the next step.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No seniors should mean a good year next year and beyond.

Reaction Score
I think the defense is going to be much better. It already has been. Not top 50 by any means but not a disaster by any means. I know Spanos had success in improving UCLA when he was there. I suspect he will do something comparable here

Reaction Score
The defense has to be better and it is.

Why Crocker was kept around for two seasons is a total head scratcher for me.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I’m going out on a limb to say the defense and the program have bottomed out. We are making progress at glacial speed, and that’s ok.

Hallelujah.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom