Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
JA was an A on offense but his defense brings that down to a B
I think AB was a D
Not even going to comment on KO because I think you will always assess as a F
Defensively, everyone on that floor was an F due to mechanics just plain old don't know how to play D - is some of this on KO and staff , sure BUT these kids probably never played an ounce of D until they stepped on the practice floor in Storrs - except for swatting balls thrown up but 5'8" high schoolers. Its going to take time to learn how to use their feet and length

Reaction Score
JA was an A on offense but his defense brings that down to a B
I think AB was a D
Not even going to comment on KO because I think you will always assess as a F
Defensively, everyone on that floor was an F due to mechanics just plain old don't know how to play D - is some of this on KO and staff , sure BUT these kids probably never played an ounce of D until they stepped on the practice floor in Storrs - except for swatting balls thrown up but 5'8" high schoolers. Its going to take time to learn how to use their feet and length

They gave up 82 pts to Chaminade. You think anyone on that coaching staff deserves anything higher than an F?

Reaction Score
They gave up 82 pts to Chaminade. You think anyone on that coaching staff deserves anything higher than an F?

Which coach wasn't in position to challenge 3 point shooters without allowing them to blow by on the bounce?

Reaction Score
I actually watch these games.

When they keep throwing up threes ... and go deeper and deeper ... I am not sure there is a PREVENT D for that. I guess getting your 6-10 to 7 foot guy their run is part of the issue; how is Brimah gonna chase #21 around. Chaminade hit 43% and you can't say they were uncontested.

I would not have the Grade book of Deepster; and I actually do grade College kids.

Reaction Score
A JA
B RP VJ
C CV KF
D JD
F KO AB
D for Durham seems harsh. The guy hasn't played in two years and all of a sudden gets thrust into competitive D1 basketball. Just the fact that he hasn't looked completely lost (say, like Enoch?), I would give him a C at worst, probably more like a B-/C+
I'd give Enoch a D-/F. He still doesn't seem to understand where he's supposed to be on the court. Yes he scored 8 points against Chaminade, but none of those baskets were even closely contested. He is raw, raw, raw.

Reaction Score
Early season freshman can not be given a failing grade. C is the lowest until at least conference starts.

Reaction Score
I actually saw signs of Enoch coming forward in this 40 minutes; and he only played 12. Like? He crashed the board and got better offensive/defensive postion. And his hands? Did anyone else notice how fast his hands are? He is far more adept at grabbing a board or positioning his hands to square up for a short layup than Brimah or many other Bigs we have had.

You missed that?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I looked at the box score and was shocked to see Durham played 25 minutes. He was invisible.

Reaction Score
Which coach wasn't in position to challenge 3 point shooters without allowing them to blow by on the bounce?

They both deserve fault. Players and coaches. On the team I coach I have a man offense in numbers. 10 being help man everywhere, which denies penetration but can give up outside looks because you are always sagging off your guy a bit to help. 50 is full denial defense no help. In my opinion KO does not differentiate the two, or maybe ever go to a 50. But there are times I tell my guys when they are good shooters (who should be identified in a scout) or guys who are hot, they get a straight 50 and you don't leave them for anything. Force their penetrators to shoot off the dribble or pull up. KO seems to NEVER apply this strategy. It is embarrassing how many threes we give up. And it is also a problem how little foot speed some of our bigs have on the perimeter. Facey, Enoch, Jackson all lack the necessary foot speed. On top of that our guys gamble way to much in passing lanes. Which causes penetration, which leads to help defense which leads to wide open threes. STAY IN FRONT OF YOUR MAN should be what he is yelling at him, not sad confused look. Make them pull up in front of your face and hit a few that way. And for christ sake learn or teach them how to defend a pick and roll without giving up a three. That is all.

Reaction Score
I actually saw signs of Enoch coming forward in this 40 minutes; and he only played 12. Like? He crashed the board and got better offensive/defensive postion. And his hands? Did anyone else notice how fast his hands are? He is far more adept at grabbing a board or positioning his hands to square up for a short layup than Brimah or many other Bigs we have had.

You missed that?

There is no question that Enoch has the physical tools to be a good post player. Unfortunately, he is a long way from actually being one.

Reaction Score
There is no question that Enoch has the physical tools to be a good post player. Unfortunately, he is a long way from actually being one.

The question that raises. We used to have kids like this that never developed (Klaiber, Willingham, Justin Brown). We had kids that did develop (Hilton Armstrong, Edwards). And kids that were just good the moment we saw them (Sellers, Voskuhl, Okafor).

I think we aren't advancing these guys much year to year. I bet Calhoun sees that and Dee Rowe. Enoch - more than anything - has to play. And guess what ... games that the other team throws up 33 ThreePoint shots is not a good spot for him playing. His feet are not below average; his Basketball IQ is at this point.

Reaction Score
The question that raises. We used to have kids like this that never developed (Klaiber, Willingham, Justin Brown). We had kids that did develop (Hilton Armstrong, Edwards). And kids that were just good the moment we saw them (Sellers, Voskuhl, Okafor).

I think we aren't advancing these guys much year to year. I bet Calhoun sees that and Dee Rowe. Enoch - more than anything - has to play. And guess what ... games that the other team throws up 33 ThreePoint shots is not a good spot for him playing. His feet are not below average; his Basketball IQ is at this point.

Hmmm basketball IQ? Pretty big thing when your coaching kids. Think it's time the coaches recruit IQ so they can look like better coaches to people who don't get it.

Reaction Score
Hmmm basketball IQ? Pretty big thing when your coaching kids. Think it's time the coaches recruit IQ so they can look like better coaches to people who don't get it.

You have a big body 6-10 kid from Norwalk, Connecticut that really was on zero Radar until his summer entering year 12. Plus he moves athletically. That is a kid UConn has to get. With 13 scholarships, that kid is "development"; but, there is a good reason why he may not have learned / think like a advanced basketball intellect.

Reaction Score
You have a big body 6-10 kid from Norwalk, Connecticut that really was on zero Radar until his summer entering year 12. Plus he moves athletically. That is a kid UConn has to get. With 13 scholarships, that kid is "development"; but, there is a good reason why he may not have learned / think like a advanced basketball intellect.

Guessing too many HS/Prep coaches these days aren't really teaching the fundamentals of the game but bottom line is you need to get what's happening around you, read things so you get to the right spots, do the right things. We've brought in 3 guys in Amida, Kentan and Steve (so far) who didn't come in with the natural ability to understand the game of basketball and see a play, rebound or shot before they happen. Such a huge ability to have in order to be successful in boxing out, off rebounding, hedging, help D. They all do something well - AB blocks shots, KF can off rebound and Steve can score around the hoop but none possess the skills to help the players around them. Pass? None can throw one without being scared to death it will be completed. Time to get some IQ back here on the court that is (all good smart kids).

Reaction Score
I watched a little of Kansas last night and the interior passing among their bigs really hammered home how undermanned we are in the frontcourt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom