OT: - Deck Materials | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Deck Materials

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Very nice. If you don't mind me asking how many square feet? I am trying to do something similar but it will be elevated.

i think it’s 14x12. One comment my wife had is that the caps over the 4x4 posts consume some of the space. We’ve got a bigger patio to one side and small patio for my grill and smoker on the other side.

Elevation is what drives the cost. Our friends had a small wooden deck up quite high, and made it freaking huge and out of Azek. That took weeks and was very pricy. Mine is 2 feet off the ground.

Reaction Score
i think it’s 14x12. One comment my wife had is that the caps over the 4x4 posts consume some of the space. We’ve got a bigger patio to one side and small patio for my grill and smoker on the other side.

Elevation is what drives the cost. Our friends had a small wooden deck up quite high, and made it freaking huge and out of Azek. That took weeks and was very pricy. Mine is 2 feet off the ground.
Thanks for the information. I currently have a landing to some stairs down to a patio. I was thinking of replacing the patio with bluestone or something similar. However, it’s a pain to get down there to the grill and to just hang outside for a bit which is why I’m considering a deck that is similar in size.
I originally received a few quotes for a rather large elevated deck and even with pressure treated wood the prices were outrageous. Time to scale down the size as I can’t do anything about the elevation.

Reaction Score
So, an update. My deck is done. They tore it down and put it up in 4 days. View attachment 59619
odd request, but would you mind taking a pic underneath showing how they secured the railing posts? I've been lazy, but I'm not happy with how secure my railings are and have been meaning to do a bit of touch up work on how the posts are secured. Hoping to get some tips

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
odd request, but would you mind taking a pic underneath showing how they secured the railing posts? I've been lazy, but I'm not happy with how secure my railings are and have been meaning to do a bit of touch up work on how the posts are secured. Hoping to get some tips

I can't really get underneath. My 4x4 posts are the originals from the wood deck. They left the framing as it was and shored it up a bit. So the posts are sunk in concrete

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It looks very nice. What are the small 2x2's or whatever they are below the bottom rail between the posts?
Are the rails PVC and need support against sagging?

Yes, I think that is what they are for.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'm waiting to put a deck in. The prices are outrageous right now. Will wait for spring.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm waiting to put a deck in. The prices are outrageous right now. Will wait for spring.
Mine is 19' x 23' and the quotes were crazy due partly to COVID loss of workers and part due to COVID increased demand. I may end up doing it myself since it is only a replacing the decking and railings.

Reaction Score
Ya pricing iscrazy. mine is roughly 12'x24' with trex decking and I put up not composite railings. I ended up spending about $6500 for everything to do it myself vs quotes I was getting were upwards of $15k

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Mine is 19' x 23' and the quotes were crazy due partly to COVID loss of workers and part due to COVID increased demand. I may end up doing it myself since it is only a replacing the decking and railings.
If you’re not replacing the underlying structure/posts and you’re halfway handy, definitely do it yourself. Replacing deck floor boards is easy. Replacing railings can be anywhere from easy to moderate depending on the specifics of your deck. The prefab stuff is easy to use and there are plenty of YouTube videos.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom