Decent overview on this season and all major competitors from the NY Times | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Decent overview on this season and all major competitors from the NY Times

Reaction Score
They certainly turned a bigger profit than the women's basketball team.
I would certainly hope so. They probably turned a bigger profit than any college BB team men or woman. Oh, and lest we forget there was a pandemic last year which limited attendance to basically relatives. So turning a bigger "profit" wasn't such a heavy lift.

Reaction Score
I would certainly hope so. They probably turned a bigger profit than any college BB team men or woman. Oh, and lest we forget there was a pandemic last year which limited attendance to basically relatives. So turning a bigger "profit" wasn't such a heavy lift.
Used car dealers turn a larger profit than 99% of the women's cbb programs, So I am unimpressed.

Reaction Score
see if this pdf works.

Attachments

• More Teams Are Contenders This Women’s College Basketball Season - The New York Times.pdf
    146.8 KB · Views: 74
Reaction Score
It's the best newspaper in the country and she's very healthy by the way.
The NYT is indeed the best and remains very healthy financially. The article about the contenders for the national championship is behind a paywall because that, dear boneyarders, is how the grey lady remains economically viable. I subscribe to the NYT and I have read the article in question. It is an incisive review of of the strengths and weaknesses of the three anticipated contenders for the women's national championship: SC, Stanford and Connecticut. The article makes the point that there are other powerful teams in the SEC, Pac-12 and Big 10 that could knock off one of the "big three." In sum, the article is a fair and well written analysis. Instead of complaining about paywalls, I suggest that boneyarders spring for a subscription to the NYT and then enjoy some of the very best in sportswriting.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Criticizing proper punctuation because it’s Sports? Reminds me of the baseball player who accused me of teaching American Music like an English class. I had to remind him that in college every course is an English class. At The NY Times, even the Sportswriters are Journalists; that’s why I pay 20 dollars a month for an online subscription, which is way cheaper than buying it at the newsstand.
I’m all for proper punctuation but I have to disagree with the implication that The NY Times is some sort of bastion of journalism. They certainly used to be that but seem to have lost their way.

Reaction Score
I’m all for proper punctuation but I have to disagree with the implication that The NY Times is some sort of bastion of journalism. They certainly used to be that but seem to have lost their way.
That’s your opinion, not mine.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I tend to agree that 'parity' is an annoying buzz word and that the reality remains a bit sparse on the ground. AZ in the championship game follows along with Louisville (twice), Syracuse, etc. in terms of surprise FF teams showing up over the years - as well as surprise losses by 'mighty' teams before the FF.

I do think there are two issues that make a difference in the current era - better quality coaching in the women's game at all levels and the quality and wider dispersal of HS talent.

The era of a sub .500 coach having a 25 year career at any college is at an end and the pay level for women's coaches has made it an attractive career for more people. And the pay level at the assistant level makes it a better than subsistence option for those starting out. This is attracting more quality coaching to the sport and therefore more quality team play and player development. The old exhortation of hustle. heart, determination and rebound!' doesn't cut it any more. (The WNBA/International play is also creating a larger pool of well coached players who may choose to continue in the profession when playing days end.

As far as number and quality of the players - there are still only a few 'superstar' players coming out of HS, but they have more quality coaching options at more schools that are actually invested in WCBB than there were 10 or 20 years ago. And the rest of the top 100 recruits have mostly spent more time with quality coaches, trainers, and players than ever before. Geno and others may complain about having to teach more team concepts, but individual skill levels are I think also better than ever. While only a few coaches ever get a Breanna Stewart to coach, a lot more get a few Olivias, Christyns, and Evinas to work with.

The 'parity' that everyone touts in the men's game and complains about in the women's game is based on the 1 and done world that exists there - unsurprisingly the 21 year old players at the mid-level colleges in men's basketball often outplay the freshman filled teams at the 'power' programs. UCLA's streak was built not just on incredible talent, but also on a locked in four year development for the players and a year of coaching freshmen before they could actually play a varsity game. Change the rules (and enforce recruiting rules) and dynastic ambitions last all of 12 months.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom