OT: - Decent camera recommendation | The Boneyard

OT: Decent camera recommendation

Reaction Score
I'd like to get a camera- is SLR the correct term?- and don't know first thing about what to get. Budget- is $500 realistic? Or, do I need to step it up to $1000 to get lens needed too? I'd like to take the usual photos such as family, scenery etc and during day and night. Right now, I just use the I-phone camera and don't know much about changing settings with it- but I want a "real" camera with lens etc. Obviously, I'm a bit clueless- the I-phone camera is probably great and I do like easily sending photos from it. Once travel restrictions are relaxed, a safari trip is in our future too, and with impending retirement, I'd have more time to fool around with photos & learning how to use camera

I guess everything is digital now, right? Do they even make film cameras anymore? With pictures that are taken with new camera, it needs to download easily onto computer. Do cameras "organize" photos when they are downloaded onto computer, or what photo software is good for organizing taken photos that I could get & use?

It would be great to get a camera that isn't impossible to learn how to operate well- I like thinking about changing settings to get just the right photo but also am intimidated by the technology. Has anyone gotten a camera with a great manual that really explains well how to use all the features?

I don't know if camera weight is consideration- maybe the lens (lenses?) is what makes them heavy. Don't want to have to carry big bag with all sorts of equipment- maybe just having one all around lens is way to go- a zoom lens? Or, do you just have one long distance lens for those situations?

How about warranty, do any cameras have really great warranties? What else should I know to make a good decision. Should I just get used to save money, or should I go for new one? Thanks for any advice!

Reaction Score
I bought a Digital SLR for my wife so she could take pictures of our daughters playing sports.

I've always favored Nikon cameras because my Dad did, but a couple years back I found a great deal on a Canon t6 Rebel that came with two lenses. A regular everyday lens and a 75-300mm telephoto lens, which is a very average size telephoto lens. It was around $450 and the purchase satisfied many of the criteria you did. Set in on Auto and take decent pictures. Has a built in flash and autofocus. My wife was not going to learn aperture settings and such. She points, it focuses and we got some really great pics over the last couple years.

No special software is needed for the computer. It's just a memory card. You can pull it out and plug it into a slot if your computer has one or use the cord that comes with the camera.

Most cameras in this range come with a 1 year warranty. By the way, I just searched and found this bundle at BB for $429

Whatever you buy, get a 128GB memory card ($30) and you'll have a hard time running out of memory.

Good luck and enjoy!

Reaction Score
I've been using my Nikon D3300 for 4 years now and absolutely love it. I think Nikon is up to its 3500 iteration of the same camera. it's basically their beginner to the intermediate platform. So it is something you can grow into, especially if you desire to learn photography and want something that can grow with you.

A lot of the camera world is divided into Nikon people vs Canon people (at least for DSLR's.. obv some of the Sony's / Hasselblad cameras will do the same thing for 18x the price but are better suited for other purposes, like video).

Keep an eye out on amazon for these packs to go on sale. It will come with the camera, a case, and two starter lenses and you can usually pick that up for like $400.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Your budget is fine. For example, you can get a good DSLR for a little over $300 (Cannon Rebel 7) or get a bundle with long lens for @$400.

Here's a good article on the some choices. Most people do end up in either the Cannon or Nikon camps.

Don't be intimidated by the controls and options, DSLR cameras have a point and shoot mode in them, but don't ignore them either. DSLR has better optic but most of it's benefits are in tailoring the settings for your specific use. So if you're uncertain and don't want to miss a shot, use the defaults. But when you have time experiment with the settings. You'll find it will become second nature for you.

There are an unlimited number of programs that will store your pictures. Personally, I like organizing them by day, month, year. It's just easier to me. Within those, I will sometimes break out event photos.

Once you have your camera, google articles on photo composition and camera settings. Again there are an unlimited amount of them. Pick one and start trying the settings. You will be surprised how quickly you pick up.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Take a photo class at your local community college, town continuing education class or research on UTUBE.

You can gain knowledge of value to help you decide what to buy. DPreview.com is a great resource once you become clued in rather than “clueless”

Cameras and lenses are tools, not all equal to a particular task nor equally easy to use. Mid level cameras have features which are easier and faster to use.

Setting the camera on “auto” not the answer rather keeps one clueless. You might as well stick with your smartphone or buy a cheap point and shoot otherwise buying a DSLR would be a waste of $$$.

Finding the sweet spot between price, ease of use and function is somewhat subjective however a prosumer level camera lens combo has many advantages and should be a consideration for a person with pockets deep enough to go on safari.

Photography is a wonderful creative outlet with many applications and rewards.
Discover your inner artist.

Full disclosure: I am a 30yr+ pro photographer
And photo educator. I teach various classes affiliated with CT Community College and my own workshops.

Since the shutdown, classes are now going online and probably will continue going forward as an option. I’m using the ZOOM platform and have a class starting this Sunday. PM me if interested.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I'd look at a used Sony a6300

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
An alternative if you don't think you want to play with settings and change lenses is to look at a superzoom point and shoot. Lots of functionality without as much work - and you can still play with settings if you want.

I did a lot of photography in high school and college and have a good DSLR. It sits most of the time and I pick up my wife's superzoom more often than not because it's just easier and gets about 95% of the results of a DSLR.

Just something to think about.

Reaction Score
Sage advice from Catsailor. When in doubt, listen to a pro. DPreview.com is an excellent resource.

I would add two basic recommendations. The first would be avoid an DSLR and go mirrorless. It will be less expensive, lighter and easier to use. At your level there's no reason to get the small advantages that a DSLR offers. Cameras have gotten so good over the years the difference is negligible.

The second would be go used. Good cameras are durable and if you buy something that's a few years old you can get probably get the camera body for half the price, which gives you more money for your lens. Your lens will determine picture quality more than anything else.

As far as brands go, I would seriously consider Fujifilm, who has worked their way into the Nikon vs Canon debate with fantastic quality products of their own. I just did a quick check on eBay and there's plenty of used options for a Fujifilm X-T20 (a great choice) for under $800 that includes their outstanding 18-55mm lens. I'm even seeing one with their 18-135mm lens for $900 right now. That's going to be tough to beat for high quality and flexibility in that price range. That's a great camera.

You're going to need a much bigger lens for any impending safaris, but you're probably better off renting one for that than paying the big bucks you'll need to get a proper 400mm lens.

Reaction Score
An alternative if you don't think you want to play with settings and change lenses is to look at a superzoom point and shoot. Lots of functionality without as much work - and you can still play with settings if you want.

I did a lot of photography in high school and college and have a good DSLR. It sits most of the time and I pick up my wife's superzoom more often than not because it's just easier and gets about 95% of the results of a DSLR.

Just something to think about.

agree for the casual person but 95% not true, fake news.

Reaction Score
Sage advice from Catsailor. When in doubt, listen to a pro. DPreview.com is an excellent resource.

I would add two basic recommendations. The first would be avoid an DSLR and go mirrorless. It will be less expensive, lighter and easier to use. At your level there's no reason to get the small advantages that a DSLR offers. Cameras have gotten so good over the years the difference is negligible.

The second would be go used. Good cameras are durable and if you buy something that's a few years old you can get probably get the camera body for half the price, which gives you more money for your lens. Your lens will determine picture quality more than anything else.

As far as brands go, I would seriously consider Fujifilm, who has worked their way into the Nikon vs Canon debate with fantastic quality products of their own. I just did a quick check on eBay and there's plenty of used options for a Fujifilm X-T20 (a great choice) for under $800 that includes their outstanding 18-55mm lens. I'm even seeing one with their 18-135mm lens for $900 right now. That's going to be tough to beat for high quality and flexibility in that price range. That's a great camera.

You're going to need a much bigger lens for any impending safaris, but you're probably better off renting one for that than paying the big bucks you'll need to get a proper 400mm lens.

Good tips FatElvis. You always get a better bang for the buck buying used but thats usualy with mid-higher end equipment. The entry level stuff is plastic crap designed for a shorter life and can have lots of issues due to build.

Mirrorless is the current trend and many pundits say the future. Mirrorless are better for video than stills and thats an uber critical statement. Damn good for stills for most peeps. Some issues with ergonomics and balance with longer heavier lenses . Not a deal breaker just a fact worth considering. Lighter smaller log zooms are being developed and some are here now.

Sony is the leader mostly due to the fact they've been at it the longest (approx 10 years). Their menu and navigation leave much to be desired, too complicated. Ergonomics better with other brands. Lenses more expensive than competition and they offer my choices at the moment.
Sensor, , burst leader of the pack.

No personal experience with Fugi other than their rep is good, lots of fanboys out there.

Nikon and Canon were late to the party. That said both are good at catch up each has strengths. There are few if any bad cameras on the market today. You just want to match the tool (model) with the task cause if it doesn't perform the task you wasted you money (no matter what kind of good deal you got).

Nikon's initial entries Z6&7 drew raves for a first go at a new format. The Z6 is the best bang for many reasons. Firmware has been updated currently V3. Since the launch Nikon has introduced the Z50 as a step below the Z6 and are about to release a new top o line model. The Z50 might be appealing to the OP or others. Though more $ than the quoted budget. An adapter allows use with DSLR lenses. Amoung Nikons hallmarks are lenses, sensor, ergonomics and navigation. Although I've used other systems I am a Nikon shooter since 1970 owning many cameras. And BTW I still use my DSLRs and love them!

Canon's first mirrorless got panned for a new camera relying on old tecnology and consensus is not as good as Sony and Nikon offerings. (Fugi still considered a bit of an outlier, again has it's fans and I'm not ruling them out, just not as familiar). Canon is now introducing a new model Mirrorless thats getting a lot of buzz and should be great for those with "dark side" glass...just kidding Canon lovers.

Stuff like ergonomics and navigation are oft overlooked but important for ease of use.

I have had students who take a class cause they're traveling someplace cool, spending big bucks for a
safari or other trip of a lifetime.

I tell them, if you think you're going to get memorable images simply by investing X$, pulling the camera out once every 6 months with settings on Auto...you are sadly mistaken.

My best advice, regardless of what you buy or already own....before you go...
practice, practice, practice!

Finally to quote Aristotle "What you need to learn, you learn by doing."

Peace, be smart stay safe!

Reaction Score
I've been using my Nikon D3300 for 4 years now and absolutely love it. I think Nikon is up to its 3500 iteration of the same camera. it's basically their beginner to the intermediate platform. So it is something you can grow into, especially if you desire to learn photography and want something that can grow with you.

A lot of the camera world is divided into Nikon people vs Canon people (at least for DSLR's.. obv some of the Sony's / Hasselblad cameras will do the same thing for 18x the price but are better suited for other purposes, like video).

Keep an eye out on amazon for these packs to go on sale. It will come with the camera, a case, and two starter lenses and you can usually pick that up for like $400.
This is a great recommendation along with the d5500 and d5700. They’re reasonably compact, light, and have tons of lens options. They’ll let you grow into the camera and you can always upgrade later of you want. Any of these with the 35mm 1.8 lens will have your shooting great pictures very quickly. I’d also highly recommend looking at used cameras. You can get a great deal and with the amount of use a beginner puts on, any should last you a long time.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Lots of great info on Peter McKinnon's youtube channel. I got into photography last year and love watching this guy's videos.

Reaction Score
Conndog, I did this exact thing last christmas. I wanted to start taking "real" pictures. I had a Nikon 3100 but always shot in "auto". My thinking was that I would buy a new camera that was far beyond beyond my neophyte ability and grow/learn into it. Since I already had the 3100, I didn't want to take a 1/2 step up only to decide that I didn't stretch myself enough. I decided that I would be like that dentist who's first motorcycle is a Harley-Davidson Fat Boy.

I did a little research and decided I wanted a full sensor DSLR. In Nikon, the brand I was familiar with, they call it an FX body as opposed to a cropped sensor DX. Nikon's entry-level, FX DSLR is the D750. It came in a package with a 2 decent lenses, a 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 and a 24-120mm f/4. In addition to the excellent advice from Catsailor, here are a few of my observations...
  • Absolutely take a class at a community college. I took one at Manchester CC and was 1/2 through another at VRABE @ Rockville HS before the pandemic hit. Invaluable. Both instructors earned their respective livings as professional photographers and were eager to share their experiences.​
  • As valuable as learning how shutter speed, aperture, and ISO work is learning how to manipulate the autofocus. I was trying to shoot indoor sports but had zero success until I learned how to tell the camera how to autofocus. I've since purchased a 70-200mm f/2.8 and a 105mm f/1.4 and the indoor stuff is starting to look pretty good.​
  • Once you learn the difference between an f/stop and a focal length, shop locally. Camera Bar in Hartford charges the same prices as amazon or B&H but you get their knowledge for free.​
  • Shoot, shoot, shoot...all the shots are free and can be deleted with impunity...keep shooting​
  • I haven't yet tackled photo processing but I did buy a monthly subscription to Adobe...you get Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge and a few other programs that let you get the most out of your pictures.​
JMM_6902.1.jpg

Reaction Score
Thanks for the advice and suggestions! There are a few used cameras for sale that interest me, one is a little out of price range, which is a Fujifilm X-E2 and Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 lens (for Fujifilm XF), asking price is $650. There are a number of Nikon cameras with lenses that cost less than $500- for instance, one is a Nikon d3300 camera with Nikon/Nikkor 18-55mm VR lens for $300, another is a Nikon D7000 with 18-200mm 3.5-5.6G ED DX lens for $400. There are lots of Nikon cameras for sale, maybe it would benefit me to look at some camera forums to get more info.
Do any cameras let you email photos straight from the camera (like I-phones do) rather than first having to download photos to computer and then sending them?

Reaction Score
Conndog, I did this exact thing last christmas. I wanted to start taking "real" pictures. I had a Nikon 3100 but always shot in "auto". My thinking was that I would buy a new camera that was far beyond beyond my neophyte ability and grow/learn into it. Since I already had the 3100, I didn't want to take a 1/2 step up only to decide that I didn't stretch myself enough. I decided that I would be like that dentist who's first motorcycle is a Harley-Davidson Fat Boy.

I did a little research and decided I wanted a full sensor DSLR. In Nikon, the brand I was familiar with, they call it an FX body as opposed to a cropped sensor DX. Nikon's entry-level, FX DSLR is the D750. It came in a package with a 2 decent lenses, a 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 and a 24-120mm f/4. In addition to the excellent advice from Catsailor, here are a few of my observations...
  • Absolutely take a class at a community college. I took one at Manchester CC and was 1/2 through another at VRABE @ Rockville HS before the pandemic hit. Invaluable. Both instructors earned their respective livings as professional photographers and were eager to share their experiences.​
  • As valuable as learning how shutter speed, aperture, and ISO work is learning how to manipulate the autofocus. I was trying to shoot indoor sports but had zero success until I learned how to tell the camera how to autofocus. I've since purchased a 70-200mm f/2.8 and a 105mm f/1.4 and the indoor stuff is starting to look pretty good.​
  • Once you learn the difference between an f/stop and a focal length, shop locally. Camera Bar in Hartford charges the same prices as amazon or B&H but you get their knowledge for free.​
  • Shoot, shoot, shoot...all the shots are free and can be deleted with impunity...keep shooting​
  • I haven't yet tackled photo processing but I did buy a monthly subscription to Adobe...you get Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge and a few other programs that let you get the most out of your pictures.​
View attachment 53048
The “shoot, shoot, shoot” advice is great. So much easier with digital. All my shots had to be developed... lots of losers.

Reaction Score
My gosh, there are so many used cameras and so many different models! After hearing about Sony mirrorless models, I can get a A6000 with lens for less than $400. I could probably list another dozen cameras that all sound good, but given how little I currently know, it makes sense to do research with the forums such as DTreview or Peter McKinnon's. Then, if I do actually buy one, I'll list what it is.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the advice and suggestions! There are a few used cameras for sale that interest me, one is a little out of price range, which is a Fujifilm X-E2 and Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 lens (for Fujifilm XF), asking price is $650. There are a number of Nikon cameras with lenses that cost less than $500- for instance, one is a Nikon d3300 camera with Nikon/Nikkor 18-55mm VR lens for $300, another is a Nikon D7000 with 18-200mm 3.5-5.6G ED DX lens for $400. There are lots of Nikon cameras for sale, maybe it would benefit me to look at some camera forums to get more info.
Do any cameras let you email photos straight from the camera (like I-phones do) rather than first having to download photos to computer and then sending them?
There are plenty of cameras that have Bluetooth capability to basically send photos to your phone from the camera. It’s very useful when I’m on vacation and want to get something up on Instagram, but it’s limited to a compressed JPEG so it’s not great if you want to print. Can always shoot in raw and just download to the computer later though.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Either shop at B & H, or figure out what you want and buy it there. Great service, will generally match any price, and free shipping. Mass merchandiser or big box electronics store is not where you want to buy at >$200 camera. I shoot real estate and music, and go through equipment every 18-24 months. B & H has never let me down. In a couple of instances (I always call in my order), they have told me to hold up b/c a newer model is "on its way" (4-6 weeks maximum). Worth the wait and usually better features for a lower price. And they do that for goyem also ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom